Offshore Epic day on the 9!! And something odd!

PENN

chilerelleno

Feb 22, 2006
San Diego
Name
Alex
Boat
22 Foot Baja Bayrunner "Machete"
Short story: 4 bluefin, and 9 yellows. Bluefin went 25 to 35 lbs weighed on a scale. And yellows went 15 to 25.

Long story: Launched out of SD bay around 6:00 a.m. And straight to EB's for a pretty dead like scoop of sardines, anchovies, and a few mackerel. Bait was beat bad and scaley and was pretty much useless. Headed to the upper end of the nine and shortly after getting in the area spot a patty with a ton of birds in the area. Buddy cast a mint Tady 45 and bendo. He lands a nice 20lb yellow. We dump the paddy as we see birds diving like crazy nearby. Another pal casts a 45 and he is bendo! I still have a big zero despite seeing fish boiling on my jig. We then see multiple flocks of birds working. We follow a school and bendo!!! Finally, only to bring in pig bonito! All of a sudden wind picks up and birds pretty much dissapear. We troll for awhile and bendo!!! We snagged a bonito by its tail!. Keep trolling and about elevenish wind begins to die down and we see a big patty being fished by another boat! We ask if we can slide in and he waves us in. My buddy cast a 45 and it gets inhaled by a nice 25lb yellow! After working the patty for about 30 minutes with no additional luck, we venture off in hopes of finding a magic patty. No such luck! Lots of kelp in the water but not a lot holding. We continue trolling and about 1:30 as we are now about 14 miles west of the point we see schools of purpose. We chase them down and Yellowtail are feeding with them. Cast into them and we land six yellows! I land two solid yellows about 15 to 20 lbs. Three guys, nine yellows, Not bad so we decide to slow motor towards the point and we see what we nicknamed the "National Geographic" flock of every type of marine bird imaginable. As we approach all of a sudden the water explodes with bait and a stampede of bluefin! It was unlike anything I have seen. All three of us cast irons and all of us get hooked up!! We land two out of three with the biggest going 35 lbs. Chase the school again and again and again and we ended up going 4 for seven before it was all over! Got to the dock around 430. Water was greenish blue, and about 65. Didn't catch anything in baits and all iron fish. Wind made for a choppy day but well worth the trip! Go out and get them!! I have a feeling we are going to have a year of fishing like no other! Oh and the odd part is one of the bluefin had what looks like the #8 branded on it. Anyone know what that is? Do the tuna own people brand there fish? Check out the pick!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Nice score!

That eight pattern is almost surely from laying on your rubber mat, or something similar with a round pattern that was against a few of your fish. You can see the same circle pattern on another tuna laying next to it if you look closely......... that one just came out perfect for whatever reason.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    :appl:

right on Alan!

Reactions: chilerelleno
    Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    Outstanding!!! That's how we got 7 BFT two weeks ago. Cool getting yellowtail with ponies!!! Big bonito for sure. Heard a report of a 18 lbs bonito weighed at Avalon !!! That is a pig!!!

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    Wow! Great report bro thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    ....and I have tomorrow off. :D

anybody wanna guess were I'll be?