russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Jonah and I left home @ 3:00 am and got to Waianae Harbor around 4:00 am. Hearing a number of reports of boats catching Ahi I was expecting to see a crowd but the harbor looked relatively empty! Got set up, hit the water at 5 am and headed in the direction of CO buoy. Just past The CO bouy Area we found our first bird pile of the day and played that for about 30 minutes with no strikes. A friend of ours had caught an Ahi the day before and so we decided to head in the direction where he had caught his fish. After a little while, Jonah finally saw some birds and started to catch up to them. First, there were only a few birds circling an area (me thinking Ahi) I left out three 9” lures and two 5” lures but after a few passes we finally picked up a medium size Aku. This small pile of about a dozen birds turned into a pile that stretched over several hundred yards. We played this pile for 3.5 hours by ourselves and caught 19 medium to large akus (12-22 pounds). We decided to make one last pass before we run away and try to look for Ahi when our two outriggers popped and line started peeling off my Penn 80’s. What I thought were large Aku turned out to be a double ahi strike. One came off on the run and we were fortunate to land the other on a 5” aku lure. After rearranging the fish bag to accommodate the ahi we put some of the Aku back in the fish bag and the reminder went into the 150 quart ice chest. Realizing we don’t have any more room for fish and no more ice we left the pile, pulled lines and headed back to the harbor which was 18 miles away. Needless to say we had an epic day on the water having lots of strikes, losing some, but catching a bunch of fish! The ahi weighed just a little over 100# and ended up with over 250# of Aku!

B1196358-D2DF-47A0-A735-75ED65B492BA.jpeg

3FA146B4-BE6B-4B40-92F3-C5125B63ED55.jpeg

FBDFCC64-08D6-4A7D-9BD2-0B0DC2C80166.jpeg

1088D772-F0F3-4B20-A249-62EFB63CCD7B.jpeg

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Capt. Russ and Jonah,
For sure an epic and action packed day, good goin' guys. The pic of the ahi on the back deck make him look much bigger than 100+. Way to kick off the season.

Cheers
Pat

russell kato
russell kato
Thank you Pat! It’s been a long time since I experienced a bite like that at Waianae! Got to make up for last year that’s for sure!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Butakuchi

Mar 9, 2013
Honolulu,Hawaii/USA
Name
Cary s. yamauchi
Boat
1959 Crestline 16ft
Russell and Jonah, what a. day the both of you had. Olu and I hope to try our luck soon weather permitting lol. Great start to your summer Aloha Cary

russell kato
russell kato
Thank you Cary! Fishing had definitely picked up compared to a month ago. Hope to see you guys on the water soon! Go get um!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
Russell and Jonah epic day! Good going on all the fish, great pre-birthday present, yeah? Great way to start off fishing season. We are looking to getting the monkey off our backs too, LOL...

russell kato
russell kato
Thank you Jimmy! Couldn’t have asked for a better present! Nice to get the monkey off our backs early…..go get yours now!
Reactions: JimmyK
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

pfont

no mo boat
Jul 6, 2010
mililani
Name
peter fontanilla
Boat
2021 - 14' Livingston (17' Arima Sea Chaser-"kiana" - 1989 - SOLD on 9/16/2016)
congrats to Russell and Jonah :appl:... your fish instincts shows throughout many years of fishing have guided the "kamoku" to where the fish are ... wtg capt.:urno1:

russell kato
russell kato
Thank you Peter! You always have such nice comments! No, not instincts, I get a lot of help and information from great fishing friends. Sure makes it easier to find fish that’s for sure!
Upvote 0

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Nice catch Russell, that's some true bloody decks right there!!!

russell kato
russell kato
Thank you Randy! You have already had a great start to this season with that nice double! Hope to see you guys on the water one day!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Jonah and I left home @ 3:00 am and got to Waianae Harbor around 4:00 am. Hearing a number of reports of boats catching Ahi I was expecting to see a crowd but the harbor looked relatively empty! Got set up, hit the water at 5 am and headed in the direction of CO buoy. Just past The CO bouy Area we found our first bird pile of the day and played that for about 30 minutes with no strikes. A friend of ours had caught an Ahi the day before and so we decided to head in the direction where he had caught his fish. After a little while, Jonah finally saw some birds and started to catch up to them. First, there were only a few birds circling an area (me thinking Ahi) I left out three 9” lures and two 5” lures but after a few passes we finally picked up a medium size Aku. This small pile of about a dozen birds turned into a pile that stretched over several hundred yards. We played this pile for 3.5 hours by ourselves and caught 19 medium to large akus (12-22 pounds). We decided to make one last pass before we run away and try to look for Ahi when our two outriggers popped and line started peeling off my Penn 80’s. What I thought were large Aku turned out to be a double ahi strike. One came off on the run and we were fortunate to land the other on a 5” aku lure. After rearranging the fish bag to accommodate the ahi we put some of the Aku back in the fish bag and the reminder went into the 150 quart ice chest. Realizing we don’t have any more room for fish and no more ice we left the pile, pulled lines and headed back to the harbor which was 18 miles away. Needless to say we had an epic day on the water having lots of strikes, losing some, but catching a bunch of fish! The ahi weighed just a little over 100# and ended up with over 250# of Aku!

View attachment 1288742

View attachment 1288743

View attachment 1288744

View attachment 1288745
    :appl: :urno1: Very nice!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great Report and pics and NICE FISH GUYS! Solid Work. LOL

russell kato
    russell kato
    Thank you! It’s days like this that keep us coming back for more! Hope this is the start of a great summer run!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

MauiGage

• Mar 11, 2018
    Hawaii
    Name
    MauiGage
    Boat
    26' Twin Vee 'Manu-o-Kū'
    Wow, compared us that's fantastic. What a great catch! We got smoked this past Saturday (6/19/21) but seas were nice. Ended up just holoholo--had a long, dry (as in bolohead, whitewash) ride from Ala Wai to Barbers Pt. to S bouy area off West side. We repeatedly worked at least 3-4 piles of birds but no strikes. The only consolation is that others were saying the same thing, 'running thru bird piles but no strikes...', over the VHF. Eh, that's fishing, right? Next time...