Offshore Epic afternoon big BFT bite, 10/1/21 at the Tanner Bank

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    A group of us had scheduled a trip on the Bight Freeman 34’ boat In September. Unfortunately we were canceled due to the the big blow at Tanner Bank at that time. Fortunately we were rescheduled for 10-1-21. We all met, threw our lunch on board and headed to the Tanner Bank. I heard a lot about the Freeman boats but you must experience the ride to appreciate it. 35 miles per hour and not really any spray to speak of. We were to the “zone” within 3 hours and moved around the area for a school or biters. There were plenty of party boats, skiffs and even a couple Freeman’s. Listening to the radio chatter no one was having a great deal of success. “Lone wolf “ or “small mark “ was the typical description and some boats getting a couple. Wes was determined to find a school and kept searching, glassing and watching the meter ,ALL day for nada. He changed up and put a daisy chain way back while we searched. Listening to the radio chatter some of the guys (2 newbies) were beginning to accept this trip was not going to be successful. About 4 pm things changed. Wes said “we’re on a screen filler school. Wind in the lures and we put out a dead flyer. Wes is watching the bait skip and the FF to make sure we are on them. I saw boil off our stern, yelled to Wes and we repositioned our bait over the spot, and we were on! Typical back and forth with a cow, we gaffed it and pulled it on board. High fives around while Wes gets another bait out. The bait gets bit and we are on again! There are so many fish on the screen that Wes told me to get ready to send another flyer out. He gets the rig set up and said “swim it out we might get bit while we swim it out”. I did my best to swim it, splashing pretty realistically. He was right a Biggun blew up on the bait as I was feeding it out. We had our third one on. We got one in and skipped another one out and the bait was smashed halfway out. This was a larger grade the way it pulled than the cow before. When it came over the rail Wes eyeballed it and said it was close to 300lb. Who really knows we didn’t tape it or weigh it but it was HUGE. Somewhere during all this Wes calls in a couple buddies and they proceed to go wide open biter as well. We had four fish on the boat and we were past the typical leaving time so Wes say one more biter and we leave whether we land it or lose it we are heading home. Again a bite skipping the bait out! We pull that one on the boat, bag everything and head in. Wes said good bye to his grateful friends on the other to boats and the heap thanks and praise for sharing and saving their day. One skipper called him the GOAT. Two of the guys in our group had not ever fished offshore were amazed. They gave it their best battling and barfing through the day. We got back to LB thanked Wes and headed to the barn after an Epic day of fishing on the Tanner Bank. Thanks Wes and Bight Charter.

3BAE8270-D363-454D-9F6B-2F385120EF85.jpeg

D888CA11-70BC-40D2-9B60-9A0349DE1958.jpeg

62ED55C9-054C-4225-9C45-5C10FA43E520.jpeg

BCBD1E72-F6FA-4124-9E29-6526ECAE1FFA.jpeg

Last edited:

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I read another post where various opinions on cow BFT rigs were best. The reel in the photo is a Penn 50 filled with 130lb spectra and a 400lb mono wind-on leader. There was never a doubt if the gear would hold up with the cows we caught. Just an opinion
    E576503F-6729-43B2-AC14-9AB849BA8D2F.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    The screen shot of the fish finder at the time we were over them...
    302.JPG

Upvote 0

neversink2

Here fishy fishy fishy...
    Oct 9, 2004
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    Congrats! Btw… saw that boat shitn n gittn last time I was out. I was going the opposite direction coming into HB, and there was literally ZERO wake coming off that Freeman. Truly amazing!

Reactions: Highwayman
    Upvote 0