Epic Advantages Of Ball Bearing Swivels!

Scuba Chris

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    Rotating Ball Bearing Swivels Over Regular Swivels!

When i buy swivels i always thought they spin & rotate. Boy, was i wrong! This simple display at a local tackle shop showed me that using single or double ball bearing swivels will spoil me forever. Yes, it is costly but i feel the long-term benefits will justify the higher price.

You can use spoons like Kastmaster to plugging lures by attaching a split ring to the lure then add on the rotation swivel. No tangled lines. Every facet of fishing from live baiting to bottom jigging & trolling can benefit from rotating ball bearing swivels. No twisted lines or tangled rigs.

Ball Bearing Swivels.jpg

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

jmch75

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Curly
    Boat Name
    None
    Chris.

Thanks for the sharing.

Wasn't able to find too much information for options here locally (SoCal) in terms of pricing, availability, sizing, etc Was only able to determine it was a Korean company that outsources to China for the MFG and requires some password to see their "catalog". WTF? Whatever. If it's going to be such an effort / barrier to entry to get some basic information, a lot of folks will seek other options that have a lot less resistance. This is really for CENTRO in case they are sitting there lurking and reading.

Chris, can you fill in the blanks? How much, size options, etc?

Also, do you know if they would be comparable to something like the SPROs?

They offer ball bearing swivels with 2 welded rings and a "power ball bearing swivel with 2 welded rings"

Comparable?

Also, any idea of the application for barrel style ball bearing swivels or "heavy swivels as Spro calls them?

Seems the size 3 at 150lbs would be somewhat comparable to what you were showing at 110lbs.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Scuba Chris

• May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    This is what i've been using for years from the USA. The #3/0 off eBay.

Manloong Black Nickle Fishing Three Way 3-Way Crane Swivel #3/0

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat Name
    Nope
    This post made me take a look at my trolling harnesses. None of them are ball bearing. But my gut is that a non-ball bearing swivel isn't an issue when a long range boat is pulling that lure through the water. I'm open however to hearing why my gut might be wrong.

Scuba Chris

• May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    This post made me take a look at my trolling harnesses. None of them are ball bearing. But my gut is that a non-ball bearing swivel isn't an issue when a long range boat is pulling that lure through the water. I'm open however to hearing why my gut might be wrong.
    If what you're doing works, then i'd stick to it. I found shore casting to jigging works well for me when using these swivels. May try 1 just to see for yourself if it makes a difference?

Reactions: Brad I
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot

Those swivels are not even ball bearing!
    I have run bearing swivels on a lot of my trolling jigs for a long time. IMO seems to help with cedar plugs and feathers, not so much with hard baits like X-Raps and Marauders. I also run bearing swivels slow trolling baits. I still pull a trolling spread more than is politically correct nowadays and IMO bearing swivels help when I bump up the speed higher than the normal trolling speed to run to breaking fish and I also sometimes run cedar plugs out of balance intentionally to give them a little different action and I think they help with that also.

Reactions: Brad I
    Upvote 0

baitedgyro

Almost A Member
    Dec 1, 2009
    SANTA CLARITA
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    25' Boston Whaler 1983

I don't think they're from the USA? It says on their description photos...."USA seller", not "Made in the USA" or "Made in USA". The company is located in NY, so probably a distributor?

Upvote 0