Epic 8 day on Excel!!! Wahoo, Big YT + Monster Dorado

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by patteam, Sep 20, 2014.

1. patteam

patteam Newbie

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    na
    Thank you dad for a great trip it was amazing, it was awesome spending 8 days with you and my brother, catching such great fish!!! A trip filled with great laughs, smiles, and sore arms that I will never forget!!!

[​IMG]

Ok here we go!!! Trip was sponsored by Pelagic, thank you Jake for all the gear, stickers, and raffle!!! Not as many pictures as I would like to have, but that’s what happens when the fishing is amazing and everyone is hooked up all day!

The storms down in mexico turned out perfect for us… they pushed us up into all the fish

Day 1 and Day 2 - were a boat ride down to alijos rocks. Captain and crew said if we wanted a shot down there to get wahoo we needed to skip all the spots on the way down and start at the rocks.

[​IMG]

Turned out to be a great move!!!

Day 3 - Got to the rocks and started the trolling rotation. Within minutes, we got the first wahoo on board. At every stop on the troll we threw live bait and wahoo bombs.

Got my first wahoo ever... so did my brother! I went 3 for 4 on the wahoo; small one on the troll, one on the live bait, and one on the bomb!

Here are my two nicer models:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad got 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my brother had 1.

[​IMG]

Ended with 40+ wahoo. We left them biting…

Day 4 - Headed to the ridge looking for tuna schools. One angler got a blue marlin on the troll… once we found the tuna it was wide open for 4+ hours until everyone had limits… No photos of this chaos, but some models were up to 25+. Instant hookups on anything in the water!!! Left them biting…

Day 5 – Headed to cedros to smash on some yellows! Parked the boat on an amazing yellowtail school… All models were 25-30+ pounds, with a few bigger ones mixed in! Crew did an amazing job with tangles as most of the time everyone was hooked up!!! We put 192 yellows on the boat and left them biting…

I went 7 for 15 on these yellows due to kelp/tangles/line break/everyone hooked up.

Here is my nicer model that went 31#:

[​IMG]

Pops had 9

[​IMG]

and brother had 7.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 6 – Dorado day! We went looking for kelps first 5 or 6 were empty… every time the boat made a turn everyone went from the galley to go grab the poles after the 4th or 5th empty one the crew was ready for some fish!

Found our first kelp with dorado and put 65 in the boat. Left them biting

Next kelp with dorado, put a bunch more in the boat. Left them biting looking for larger models…

Next kelp… I got my LIFER, on the Curado 300e with the teramar rod!!! Saw someone hooked up on a nice model female, so I sent a sardine right next to him and I was hooked up instantly… I knew it was a larger fish as it took a large amount of line.

I started to bring it towards the boat and it took off… Almost spooled me, I had about 3 wraps left on my reel and I buttoned down the drag 100%!!! I finally was gaining ground! This battle took about 30 minutes and by the last 5 minutes everyone on the boat was watching the fight! I watch this fish change colors about 3 times during the fight which was awesome to see.

The last few minutes seemed like forever… The fish came exactly where I wanted it, on the port side of the boat. The boat was drifting towards him and I was gain ground, not letting his head turn. At the point where my arms were dead the deckhand, Brandon, made a perfect gaff on him and everyone started yelling!!! It was a great feeling!!!

He went around 45# on the scale! 54 inches to the fork!

[​IMG]

Here is a video of the last 4 and a half minutes to the gaff:

Day 7 – went after more yellows at I don’t know where… We did land some nice models at this stop, just a tad smaller than cedros, but great fighting fish!

Couple photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 8 – Tried for halibut at San Martin ended up finding yellows. Made trek back home and everyone was beat…

We all got on some amazing fish throughout the trip! The best part was it was with my Dad and Brother!!! It was so fun to look over and see one of them getting their ass kicked by an awesome fish!

The captain and crew were amazing!!! Justin kept us out of the storm and on amazing fish every single day! He told us what to gear up for every night at dinner! The crew saved a lot of fish with their tangle skills and gaff shots!!! Chefs killed it! Hands down best food I have ever eaten… We ate like kings for 8 days!!! I would recommend this boat x 10,000… Can’t go wrong!!! Check out the Excel Long Range Sportfishing facebook page for more photos on the trip!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. Capitola2014

Capitola2014 Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    17.5 Edgewater
    Could it be any better? I think not. Congrats.

3. JIM E

JIM E Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    None
    Sounds epic,,, good call to get to the rocks and get the job done ASAP,,,,, that Dorado is sick ..... good show !!!

4. Vibora

Vibora Member

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    Yes
    Looks like a great trip. Great report and thanks for sharing.

5. devodave

devodave keeping the kid hooked up

Name:
    "Old School"
    Boat:
    Really old but solid 25' SeaRay Flybridge
    That is the nicest Dorado I have seen in a while. I gotta get out on that boat...

6. mike82

mike82 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    a fish killing center console
    is it halloween or are you guys planning on robbing a bank? LOL! what a badass trip! nice dorado! nice big yellows too! and of course great job on the wahooooo!!! pretty cool you did it with your bro and dad too. great memories and pics!

7. calisnowhunter

calisnowhunter Member

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    18' westcoaster SOLD
    Those big dodos are fricken awesome congrats on the PB. I need to do one of these trips with my daughters one day they would have a blast

8. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    An epic trip indeed!!!

Amazing Dorado!!!

9. JWALK

JWALK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    I used to have a 30' skipjack - Why did I sell my boat??!!!!
    That is a great trip indeed!:cheers:

10. HBfisherman

HBfisherman H2

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Shamrock CC
    That is a bad ass trip, to top it off you where with your pops and brother! If all I caught was that dodo, I'd be content.

8 day trip and no tuna, I'm starting to think yellowfin are becoming as pesty as skipjack.

11. Huntersmoon

Huntersmoon Member

Name:
    nombre
    Boat:
    no
    Excel is THE fishing experience...first class operation and crew. The food is icing on the cake, delicious!

12. jubben

jubben I like fishing but love c

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    215 Triumph
    Nice report. Im on the Excel for a 10 day leaving in 8 days I can hardly wait.

13. osidefishin

osidefishin big daddy

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    18' Klamath cc " Second chance "
    Looks like a great trip,way to go

14. Steve Francis

Steve Francis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    StephenKatSea
    Boat:
    .--.
    How could it get any better? Great report, great photos and very well written. THANKS

15. garlicsalt

garlicsalt Member

Name:
    jed
    Boat:
    ''the twisted ducker''
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Rimack

Rimack Old School

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Nope
    A bit lost for words.... That's some good stuff right there,report, pictures.
    Garlicsalt said it best.........WOW

17. JoshuaD

JoshuaD Member

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Livingston 155 “Sushi Zone”
    Awesome report! Nice wahoo and epic dodo!

18. Auggie

Auggie Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    None
    That was one Big Stud Bull Dorado !

19. Mick

Mick fishdivesurf

Name:
    Kingfisher
    Boat:
    21 Cuddy, No Ka Oi
    Beautiful Wahoo on the second pic and the Dodo... amazing!

20. pv7740

pv7740 Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    None
    Great report. Nice dodo!!