Offshore Epic 3 day on the New Lo Ann 7-22, 7-25

Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Name
DTS
Boat Name
Boatless
New Lo Ann is by far my favorite boat. This trip was lucky from the start. About two months ago I was checking the website before my last 1.75 day trip in June. Just looking at boat counts and browsing there web site. With the boats schedule full into December I was bumbed I only had the 1.75 booked. This was when a pop up came up, and said new trips available click here. I guess a charter canceled so the boat switched to open party. Instantly I pulled the trigger and shot out a text to all my fishing buddies. Followed by a phone call to the ones who were interested. I got my good buddys Bill and Dave to book there spots shortly after I did. Good timing on our part because that day the boat had 18 spots. I had another buddy weight to pull the trigger and the next day the trip was sold out. Good timing on our part because it was truly an amazing trip.
Now for the fishing Marcus ran the boat on this trip with deck hands Ownen, Max, Aaron and second captain Josh. During the safety seminar Marcus said that on the previous day they struggled to find kelps with biting fish. He said we were going to put our blinders on to kelps and head up north outside santa Barbra island. Boat left the dock at 10:45 Friday, it was about an 11 hour boat ride about 120 miles from the point. This is where he planned to start looking. We stopped on a kelp about 15 miles off of San Clement that was loaded with birds and jumping dorado around 4:30 no bites. But I did see hundreds of free swimming dorado. Marcus reminded us this wasn't our target species and didn't waste any time. Cook Kirie cooked up some amazing dinner and at about 10:30 Marcus stopped to drop in the sonar we looked until about 2:00 AM pushing further west stopping on a few scattered marks to no avail. Spirts remained high our first good stop was around 2:30 where we boated about 20 fish 40-80 pounds I managed 1 pulled the hook on another. We stopped on multiple schools that would yeild about 10 fish per stop until the sun came up. I think night one we ended up with about 48 fish or so I got three lost a few due to tangles pulled hooks the usual night time chaos.
Saturday day was slow we picked up a few fish on sinker rigs and fly lined baits stopping on multiple foaming spots. The highlight for me Saturday was Aaron and I doubled up I casted an 80 gram Katie Perry colt sniper into a former and Aaron a clear popper. I pulled hook at gaf and Aaron put a 40 or so pound fish on the deck.
Saturday night was a different story after another amazing dinner and being awake for over 24 hours I went down and fell asleep. My plan was to get up if the night bite started. Around midnight my buddy dave woke me up and said it's biting and the fish were big. Thanks Dave I might have missed the bite. I ran out and started dropping my 350 gram knife jig. It didn't take long before my first 100 pound fish hit the deck. Than another and another. At one point I was retieing my jig and look around every person at the rail was bent and there were some big fish on the deck. My buddy dave got three personal best on this stop fishing a 15 inch 400 gram knife jig called a tormenter. We laughed at it when he first tied it on but that thing ended up being the hot jig. Dave got a 100,130,168 on this stop three new PB's. Long time bass fishing buddy Bill who doesn't fish salt water did really well and was blown away with the power of these fish. Let's just say he is hooked now he also had a few personal best landing fish over 100 pounds. It seemed like we always had one or two going with a few flurries but the quality just got better and better. Nearing the end of the stop my buddy Jeff had a good fish going my jig was down around 400 feet I started burning it back to the boat to prevent tangling with Jeffs fish. Somewhere between 300 and 400 feet I get absolutely smoked instantly pinning me and my rod to the rail. Instantly the fish started pealing drag. I was fishing a custom M&M rain shadow 7/6 xxxx heavy rail rod rated 130 unlimited with a Talica 25 filled with 130 pound power pro hollow ace my jig was tied directly to a 10 yard served leader of 130 pound seaguar premer floro. This was the first trip with the new rod and I was highly impressed. I fish my drag tight and after one trip around the boat the fish settled in around the bow of the boat. Both Owen and Marcus helped me avoid tangles and they did an amazing job going over the anchor and other fish hanging. 15-20 minutes later this 198 hit the deck. The boys aboard the NLA worked really hard gaffing fish, undoing tangles Marcus is possessed!! The guy fished day and night with very little sleep. When the dust settled after this stop I believe we were 15 fish short of three day limits. The guys spent the remainder of the night organizing the fish holds because they were about full. We had one more stop for another 10 fish around 4:00 AM they were smaller grade but I put on another 2. The few of us that stayed out at this point were just trying to help limit out the boat. We ended up 5 short of 3 day limits but the grade was unreal.
Day three we woke up at the Osborn bank in search of yellowtail it didn't pan out so after stopping on a few skittish spots of bluefin Marcus headed for San Clemente where we finished the trip with a few nice yellowtail, bass and barracuda. Sat on Ancor for dinner before making the trek home. When we got back we weighed some of the stand outs one fish was six pounds bigger than mine which was 198 but there were at least 15 fish over 150 and another 20 or so over 100 incredible trip. This boat has a consistent following of good fishermen so everyone worked well together. There wasn't that guy all In all everyone worked well together.
IMG_6951.JPG
IMG_6951.JPG
IMG_6936.JPG
IMG_6937.JPG
IMG_6939.JPG
IMG_6938.JPG
IMG_6941.JPG
IMG_6945.JPG
IMG_6948.JPG
IMG_6948.JPG
IMG_6953.JPG
IMG_6959.JPG
IMG_6950.JPG

chilidip

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    17' Logic CC
    Looks like an epic trip. You got lucky that Markus was at the helm on one of his very few trips a year. It’s like getting Drew on the PQ.. they will kill the BFT.. not that Adam and Gavin are slouches themselves.. all 4 are rockstars.

Upvote 0

tom fowlks

tommy tuna
    Apr 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    tomfowlks.com
    Name
    tom fowlks
    Boat Name
    Shogun
    Great Report!! and what a trip!!!
    I was just on the NLA earlier this month for a 3 day charter and LOVE that Boat!!
    we fished with Adam, who is amazing as well as impressive and had Owen, Max and Sean as well as Ben, and of course Kirie! great crew!
    our trip was good, but NOTHING compared to yours!
    that's ALL TIME!!
    I'll definitely be back on that boat next season!

Reactions: Darryl Thomas Smith
    Upvote 0

Capper

Jul 25, 2021
    Oak hills
    Name
    Greg Lightcap
    Boat Name
    Squrit 2
    New Lo Ann is by far my favorite boat. This trip was lucky from the start. About two months ago I was checking the website before my last 1.75 day trip in June. Just looking at boat counts and browsing there web site. With the boats schedule full into December I was bumbed I only had the 1.75 booked. This was when a pop up came up, and said new trips available click here. I guess a charter canceled so the boat switched to open party. Instantly I pulled the trigger and shot out a text to all my fishing buddies. Followed by a phone call to the ones who were interested. I got my good buddys Bill and Dave to book there spots shortly after I did. Good timing on our part because that day the boat had 18 spots. I had another buddy weight to pull the trigger and the next day the trip was sold out. Good timing on our part because it was truly an amazing trip.
    Now for the fishing Marcus ran the boat on this trip with deck hands Ownen, Max, Aaron and second captain Josh. During the safety seminar Marcus said that on the previous day they struggled to find kelps with biting fish. He said we were going to put our blinders on to kelps and head up north outside santa Barbra island. Boat left the dock at 10:45 Friday, it was about an 11 hour boat ride about 120 miles from the point. This is where he planned to start looking. We stopped on a kelp about 15 miles off of San Clement that was loaded with birds and jumping dorado around 4:30 no bites. But I did see hundreds of free swimming dorado. Marcus reminded us this wasn't our target species and didn't waste any time. Cook Kirie cooked up some amazing dinner and at about 10:30 Marcus stopped to drop in the sonar we looked until about 2:00 AM pushing further west stopping on a few scattered marks to no avail. Spirts remained high our first good stop was around 2:30 where we boated about 20 fish 40-80 pounds I managed 1 pulled the hook on another. We stopped on multiple schools that would yeild about 10 fish per stop until the sun came up. I think night one we ended up with about 48 fish or so I got three lost a few due to tangles pulled hooks the usual night time chaos.
    Saturday day was slow we picked up a few fish on sinker rigs and fly lined baits stopping on multiple foaming spots. The highlight for me Saturday was Aaron and I doubled up I casted an 80 gram Katie Perry colt sniper into a former and Aaron a clear popper. I pulled hook at gaf and Aaron put a 40 or so pound fish on the deck.
    Saturday night was a different story after another amazing dinner and being awake for over 24 hours I went down and fell asleep. My plan was to get up if the night bite started. Around midnight my buddy dave woke me up and said it's biting and the fish were big. Thanks Dave I might have missed the bite. I ran out and started dropping my 350 gram knife jig. It didn't take long before my first 100 pound fish hit the deck. Than another and another. At one point I was retieing my jig and look around every person at the rail was bent and there were some big fish on the deck. My buddy dave got three personal best on this stop fishing a 15 inch 400 gram knife jig called a tormenter. We laughed at it when he first tied it on but that thing ended up being the hot jig. Dave got a 100,130,168 on this stop three new PB's. Long time bass fishing buddy Bill who doesn't fish salt water did really well and was blown away with the power of these fish. Let's just say he is hooked now he also had a few personal best landing fish over 100 pounds. It seemed like we always had one or two going with a few flurries but the quality just got better and better. Nearing the end of the stop my buddy Jeff had a good fish going my jig was down around 400 feet I started burning it back to the boat to prevent tangling with Jeffs fish. Somewhere between 300 and 400 feet I get absolutely smoked instantly pinning me and my rod to the rail. Instantly the fish started pealing drag. I was fishing a custom M&M rain shadow 7/6 xxxx heavy rail rod rated 130 unlimited with a Talica 25 filled with 130 pound power pro hollow ace my jig was tied directly to a 10 yard served leader of 130 pound seaguar premer floro. This was the first trip with the new rod and I was highly impressed. I fish my drag tight and after one trip around the boat the fish settled in around the bow of the boat. Both Owen and Marcus helped me avoid tangles and they did an amazing job going over the anchor and other fish hanging. 15-20 minutes later this 198 hit the deck. The boys aboard the NLA worked really hard gaffing fish, undoing tangles Marcus is possessed!! The guy fished day and night with very little sleep. When the dust settled after this stop I believe we were 15 fish short of three day limits. The guys spent the remainder of the night organizing the fish holds because they were about full. We had one more stop for another 10 fish around 4:00 AM they were smaller grade but I put on another 2. The few of us that stayed out at this point were just trying to help limit out the boat. We ended up 5 short of 3 day limits but the grade was unreal.
    Day three we woke up at the Osborn bank in search of yellowtail it didn't pan out so after stopping on a few skittish spots of bluefin Marcus headed for San Clemente where we finished the trip with a few nice yellowtail, bass and barracuda. Sat on Ancor for dinner before making the trek home. When we got back we weighed some of the stand outs one fish was six pounds bigger than mine which was 198 but there were at least 15 fish over 150 and another 20 or so over 100 incredible trip. This boat has a consistent following of good fishermen so everyone worked well together. There wasn't that guy all In all everyone worked well together. View attachment 1406890View attachment 1406890View attachment 1406904View attachment 1406905View attachment 1406907View attachment 1406906View attachment 1406908View attachment 1406909View attachment 1406910View attachment 1406910View attachment 1406911View attachment 1406912View attachment 1406889
    Epic, very tough to decide were to go San Diego for variety or long beach for Osborne bank

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat Name
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Brilliant! Love fishing NLA. You had a great trip and absolutely made the most of it! Good on your friend for waking you up when the 'Bigs' came to play!

Upvote 0

hot tuna

May 7, 2007
    Tahoe
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    clawfoot tub
    Great reporting! Beautiful catch! Love to hear bros taking care of each other. Your trip was very encouraging…

Heading out next week on NLA for the first time with a small private group. Can’t wait to spend time with my friends and enjoy time on the water.

Upvote 0
    Jan 7, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    DTS
    Boat Name
    Boatless
    This was my buddy’s jig he tied it on Saturday it was new. We joked around quoting crocodile Dundee “that’s not a knife This
    A69498C3-D081-4B36-B964-F34D101CF1CA.jpeg
    is a knife”that jig got bit just about every drop it was definitely the hot jig. It now has no paint left and is just mangled.

Attachments

• D02870C8-9867-4003-9131-0A39FA6EFCB8.jpeg
      D02870C8-9867-4003-9131-0A39FA6EFCB8.jpeg
      1.8 MB · Views: 16
    • D8460863-5997-439F-8FD1-74275BD15978.jpeg
      D8460863-5997-439F-8FD1-74275BD15978.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 14
    Upvote 0

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat Name
    none
    This was my buddy’s jig he tied it on Saturday it was new. We joked around quoting crocodile Dundee “that’s not a knife This View attachment 1407595is a knife”that jig got bit just about every drop it was definitely the hot jig. It now has no paint left and is just mangled.
    Lovely, I have one with the same size but different color made by the late Kevin who used to work on the Toronado before he passed away . Thanks for sharing

Upvote 0

Bien Machin

Almost A Member
    Feb 19, 2019
    North las vegas
    Name
    Jonathan U
    Boat Name
    SS Minnow
    Hey Darryl I was on the trip too. I was laughing when you’re boy was doing the math for processing once they put our fish in front of landing. Hahaha awesome trip great write up.

8292D566-71DC-44C6-86DE-9CF3DA87700E.jpeg

C58E2AD9-59D3-43DA-91CE-7F953017FABC.jpeg

Upvote 0