Salmon King

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Definitely a hungry whale burrito. As a guide with paying customers, you can’t do that sort of damage in the cabin without risking lost customers, lost tips, bad google reviews from the survivors.

He had a legit medical/bio emergency.

Reactions: Emzbuddy

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Darrell and Andy run a great operation they always share info to help everyone they would never do something that would jeopardize another boat. If your slow and there’s safe room to pass I see no problem. I wasn’t there to say how this went down. But I assure you a face to face would have been a better outcome. So that being said if you don’t like something I say or do man up and let’s talk. I am sure we will come to a settlement without incident. I am on float 12. You guys know the boat.

Dave's Delta

"No, we're not catching"
Apr 9, 2009
Auburn & Westport, WA.
Name
Dave
Boat
Looking for a Delta
Has anybody ever had their electronic throttles malfunction? Stick? How about a loss of steering?

Guess not.

When a boat is coming at you directly starboard and makes a 90° Hard turn while on step and I’m at 5 knots and I could touch the boat with a long gaff, in the Groin, that’s dangerous, and unsafe. Forget the etiquette or being butt hurt of operating in the harbor.

People can be helpful and share information but that doesn’t mean they’re safe captains.

I guess I should have been a real ass and called him out in front of his passengers. Didn’t need to, they saw what happened.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Has anybody ever had their electronic throttles malfunction? Stick? How about a loss of steering?

Guess not.

When a boat is coming at you directly starboard and makes a 90° Hard turn while on step and I’m at 5 knots and I could touch the boat with a long gaff, in the Groin, that’s dangerous, and unsafe. Forget the etiquette or being butt hurt of operating in the harbor.

People can be helpful and share information but that doesn’t mean they’re safe captains.

I guess I should have been a real ass and called him out in front of his passengers. Didn’t need to, they saw what happened.

A bunch of hypothetical questions about electronic throttles, steering or even spontaneously bursting into flames to add drama? Clearly non of that happened.

Rather than “call him out” right there because that would be a “real ass” move you call him out behind his back on the internet and have a public conversation about it, but that’s not a “real ass” move? You clearly stated above that you watched him offload, so a conversation would have been possible.

Or call him on the radio and ask if he has a minute to talk. You had an opportunity to talk face to face and have a conversation about your safety concerns and he could have been real understanding or he could have been a dick, but now it’s an internet drama..... great choice!

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 conquest... needs a name
A bunch of hypothetical questions about electronic throttles, steering or even spontaneously bursting into flames to add drama? Clearly non of that happened.

Rather than “call him out” right there because that would be a “real ass” move you call him out behind his back on the internet and have a public conversation about it, but that’s not a “real ass” move? You clearly stated above that you watched him offload, so a conversation would have been possible.

Or call him on the radio and ask if he has a minute to talk. You had an opportunity to talk face to face and have a conversation about your safety concerns and he could have been real understanding or he could have been a dick, but now it’s an internet drama..... great choice!
100% this^^^
GSpot for the win!

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
What if his turbo had couldn’t generate boost because of a stuck wastegate or a cracked intercooler? That’s another thing to consider!
OMG! Right! Totally could have been a disaster...

Dave's Delta

"No, we're not catching"
Apr 9, 2009
Auburn & Westport, WA.
Name
Dave
Boat
Looking for a Delta

Was it hypothetical when you capsized your boat while offshore? Or were you expecting to do that?

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
Was it hypothetical when you capsized your boat while offshore? Or were you expecting to do that?
Nope... the real deal! Did need to hypothesize about it...

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
Was this supposed to hurt my feeling? Every weak suck slap dick on this site has tried to dredge this up... Better guys than you....

I did not need to hypothesize about steering, throttles, Lightning strikes, fires or any other dramatic bullshit to make drama.... Rolling a boat 30 miles offshore is drama enough...but brilliant come back!

moravec

Boston Whaler 18' Outrage
Nov 29, 2008
Snoqualmie, WA
Name
Andrew Moravec
Boat
Boston Whaler 18; Outrage
I ran in a little hot into Shilshole north entrance this weekend, and waked a majestic harbor seal sunning itself on the jetty rocks. The photographers on the high pier were visibly upset and shared some hurtful gestures. If they bitched on the internet versus finding me and talking through it I would've thought lesser of them. But I haven't checked the Seattle photography sites lately. If you're that bothered by their actions go talk to them face to face and understand the situation.

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
Jul 18, 2012
W.Seattle
Name
Jefe'
Boat
1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
Maybe he was taking a piss and zipped his junk up in his zipper and had to get to the dock in a hurry?? Did anyone consider that???
Exactly. Have you ever got your scrot caught in the zipper? Shit I would hit the throttle by accident. I have got my scrot caught in a sleeping bag and you never want to experience this........Post extracurricular activities......

This is reminiscent of my incident with a big tuna outfit, not six pack, who discharged all their fucking line out the back. I got flamed for not naming the guilty parties. Well, next time let the big guns who know the important people fight the fight. I am certain it was worked out and confident it won't happen again.

From what I know Darrell is a pretty upstanding citizen of the area and I am sure his other half is running a similar ship or he might not be there.

I would book a boat with Darrell's outfit tomorrow.

People make mistakes it is our hope they learn and make better choices in the future.

If they don't then flame the shit heads. Pretty certain Darrell's peep's hat no malicious intentions.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Exactly. Have you ever got your scrot caught in the zipper? Shit I would hit the throttle by accident.

Sort of. Pecker, not my nuts. Now I wear xtratuffs, so I don’t have to zip up my boots anymore! Lesson learned.