Ensenada - feasible by sea?

tuff guy

Mar 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boat
I know this isnt the Mexico forum, but I figured this area gets more traffic, and its trip planning related. I am looking into the idea of taking my boat (21 ft triumph CC) down to Ensenada to do some fishing and wanted to get input from folks who have trailered their boat down to launch it as well as folks who just made the run down after launching at Shelter Island.

Vessel is seaworthy and has the range, but for people who have done it in a smallish fishing vessel, how was the ride down and back to SD? Did the afternoon winds kick your ass? Is it a better idea to just suck it up and trailer the thing down? I have read folks that do it both ways, but I wanted to hear back with those who have real world experience with this. Thanks again!

heatsource

Mar 28, 2018
nevada city, ca
Name
dave
Boat
north river
We ran down looking for bluefin in March of last year didn’t find any but it was an easy ride there and back, 28 foot Grady

C817C1C6-A2EF-4E21-8DB5-E773C900FA24.png

heatsource

Mar 28, 2018
nevada city, ca
Name
dave
Boat
north river
Of course pick your days

We didn’t have one, but a buddy boat is never a bad idea, especially considering how desolate this run can be in the early season. It’s not like running out to Cortez on a nice day passing by the islands and knowing there’s boats congregated on a bank.

Panga-Life

Feb 26, 2021
Newport Beach
Name
Paul Greubel
Boat
Cortez Panga
Weather can be tough on the ride back especially in a 21' boat. I'd get the permit and launch at Marina Coral in Ensenada. There are so many great places to tow your boat and fish in Baja. I've been running long range boats and trailering boats down the peninsula for 30 years and it's been the best this past year with Covid. No crowds and great fishing. It can be a white knuckler when big rigs blow by you and you may have to drop a tire off the shoulder but everyone seems to make it just fine with many great stories to tell. You will need to file the appropriate paper work (Temporary Import Permit, TIP and get insurance and a Visa) at the banjercito office located at each border crossing. There are easy to find, just google search for directions. It's about $60 plus all the typical paper work fees but it's good for 10 years. If you've never processed paper work in Mexico, take a Xanax and relax. It can be a little frustrating but entertaining at the same time. I believe you can only have one TIP at a time so plan accordingly if you have more than one boat you want to take down. Here is a link that explains it a little better. https://www.marinadelapaz.com/faq-items/how-long-can-my-boat-stay-in-mexico/
Good luck and enjoy The Baja. Message me if you have any questions or email [email protected]

Panga-Life

Feb 26, 2021
Newport Beach
Name
Paul Greubel
Boat
Cortez Panga
This time of year its best to go the extra couple hours to San Quintin and fish YT of out of the Old Mill marina. Get a guide though for your first couple trips. Molino
Bay is shallow but the YT bite is excellent. Ensenada you will be bottom fishing the islands for the most part this time of year.

Reactions: Michael bauer

tuff guy

Mar 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boat
Thank you all for the replies. I plan to do the TIP anyway just to fish the islands, so I'm not too worried about the paperwork. I've fished ensenada a few times with Sergio, so I know its great fishing. Mainly just curious as to peoples experiences making the run at sea. Trailering isn't super appealing with hwy 1 being so narrow, but its not the end of the world. I was thinking of making a trip down in June, I've always had good luck around then.

Genuinely appreciate the feedback

blowncar

Sep 8, 2013
Ocean Shores Washington/Mexico waters
Name
james
Boat
52' Hatteras C Lobos Del Mar
For sure, a huge part of the appeal is the town itself, I really like ensenada.

Is there trailer parking?
Yes they have secure area for trailer boats. Right now there is about 10 20-28 ft boats here. The marina is well fenced, 24hr security 3-5 guys always on duty, no one can go in or out without being seen and processed through front gatehouse.

Reactions: aguachico

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    The ride there wouldn’t be too bad. Coming back uphill against current, wind and any kind of swell, whether mixed or not will suck in a 21’. Pick your day wisely.

Reactions: Blackfish

fullclip

May 15, 2008
    Upland ca
    Name
    jeremy
    Boat
    Mushroom 26 prosport
    I have made the trip in that exact same boat from shelter island. Nothing to worry about. Those boats can take a beating. Obviously I would use a weather app such as SailFlow to pick good weather. It’s not any fun getting soaked or beat up.

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
    Oceanside Ca
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    21 Parker cc , and 2556 cierra yes its a bayliner (The Dude Man)
    This time of year its best to go the extra couple hours to San Quintin and fish YT of out of the Old Mill marina. Get a guide though for your first couple trips. Molino
    Bay is shallow but the YT bite is excellent. Ensenada you will be bottom fishing the islands for the most part this time of year.
    agree and ive done that trip with my 21 parker cc and Oscar from km fishing captained my boat for 75 bucks and even cleaned all my fish such a cool experience i will never forget