Its 4 Reel

Nov 2, 2005
Ensenada Baja Mexico
www.its4reels.com
Name
Capt. Louie Prieto
Boat
23' Parker - It's 4 Reels!
On 3-15-13 Mike Lovoi and his crew from Sacramento came down with an assortment of Western-Hoegee baits and were looking for the elusive yellowtail. We worked hard in foggy, cold, then clear, warm than foggy, well you get the idea, conditions looking for them at all the usual spots but it would be a no go. We fished many inshore spots and managed a nice haul of lings, reds and rockfish. Those Western-Hoegee plastics were working especially well on the lings.

Saturday the 16th was the same as far as the yellows go but we did manage to get into the lings and rockfish again.

Now about the salmon. Yes on 3-21-13 Alvin Mathis fishing with a Salas 6x jr caught a 17 lb King Salmon on the It's 4 Reels fishing the bajo off Ensenada. The day before Pete Harms and Kenny Rangel fishing on Pete's boat "Pole Dancer" hooked 5 yellows and landed 3 off the north point of Todos Santos Island. That was enough for me to get a crew together and chase them the next day. Well "Pole Dancer" headed out to the area where the yellows appeared the day before while we headed for San Miguel Reef where we have found them the last couple of months. There would be no yellows for anyone this day but while drifting the inside edge of the high spot in 75 ft. of water and with birds all over the place Alvin hooks up to something good. It didn't fight like a yellow but it did take some drag. We finally saw color and it was moving pretty fast which was most probably due to the large seal that was chasing it. At first we thought it was a large bonito but as it came closer to the boat and with the seal all over it I said 'it's a #@?% salmon!". I won't get into the details on how I tried to net this thing that was too big for the net but a perfect gaff head shot by yours truly and we had our first "It's 4 Reels" salmon. The wind came up on us early but we did manage to incidentally catch a nice calico, a couple of reds and lings and assorted rockfish. Water temp was 55-57 degrees on the high spot.

GOPR00032.JPG

IMG0622.JPG

Upvote 0

stella marina

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 21, 2011
    santa cruz
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    What???? That is awesome, a little strange to gaff a salmon, what are the Mexican regs for salmon? Keep what you catch?

Upvote 0

ratboy

Nov 18, 2006
    sc
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    katie sea
    Thats awesome, looks like the seal had it at one point look at those teeth marks in the tail.....

Upvote 0

poncherello

Jan 11, 2005
    san Diego
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    none
    Awesome congrats on the salmon! Looks like he took a wrong turn somewhere in Santa Barbara or Ventura. It must be a male, because he didn't pull over at a gas station and ask for directions.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    :appl:

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sep 22, 2003
    San Diego,Ca
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    complicated
    NICE Salmon...!!!! Can't believe I was a week late for the Baja North Salmon run

Upvote 0

reeladventure

Almost A Member
    May 12, 2008
    San Diego CA USA
    Name
    Peter & Sandy
    Boat
    Boatless for now
    In the mid 90's I was on the Mascot six fishing of La Bufadora.The salmon were swimming with the yellows biting surface iron,we got two 20#'s(salmon).Slow n dumb,in the words of Capt.LoPreste n what I saw. River's used to flow many moon's ago n the salmon used to spawn in them.The farm's n drought kinda killed it. Also, I fished off of Calafia in the kelp for calicos and got one on a scampi (12 lber).

Upvote 0

stella marina

• Nov 21, 2011
    santa cruz
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    Rodman, I would not gaff a salmon here in Santa Cruz, to each his own, good luck with that one sir, get yourself a net.

I gaff LARGE salmon all the time, as do most commercial Salmon fisherman...Mark

Upvote 0