07 FFL
Apr 15, 2018
Shelter Cove, Ca
www.billygoatmachine.com
Name
Skkeeter
Boat
24' Hewescraft Alaskan, Gregor 15' Baja Special
I bought a used boat 2 years ago from a guy who was commercial bottom fishing out of Oregon. The boat came with a 6 person emergency life raft, the kind that has a hydrostatic release and inflates with a pull cord. The official date of inspection expired in 2019. I took it to a local shop that sent it up to Oregon for a quote and they wanted $1050 just to get it certified again. Now, as this is now a sport boat, how long should I expect the raft to stay functional. Does the compressed air canister go bad, or is the recertification/recharge deal just to make $$? A thousand dollars seems ridiculously expensive but what do I know........ And I know no amount of $$ is worth your life but I also have a epirb and 6 survival suits on the boat. Only go out for tuna 2-3 times a year. What kind of life expectancy can I get our of the raft if I do nothing at this point? Thanks in advance

salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
Its not ridiculous that's about the going price depending on what is needed. Its hard for them to even give you a concrete price until they break into it. Yes the canister can go bad. Call Willington Raft in Wilmington CA and ask to speak to David. He will be straight up with you. I dont do mine every year its around $750-800 depending on what is needed and its a 4 man.

4L2NA

Almost A Member
Apr 14, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Larry
Boat
25' Davis RHLC, D4, FinAddict
I second Tim's suggestion above. I have a 6 man Elliot and it generally runs $750-$1200/yr to maintain. Buying the raft is the least expensive part of the deal, but if you ever need it.... I also carry gumbies, Epirb, In Reach, etc...hopefully never have to use any of that stuff.

Avalon/Wilmington Raft is where I have mine serviced. David is great to deal with, up front and honest. Pretty good prices on other safety gear was well.

Reactions: Skkeeter

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Just FYI once a raft is about 15 years old (give or take) you may need to start looking to replace it. I have seen rafts that go in for service and they get condemned because they the material starts to deteriorate. Something you can't see unless you deploy it and service.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Brookings, Southern Oregon
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
    Do it yourself!!! its not rocket science and if you are sport then dont need the sticker cert. You can find info DIY on the net. The only reason they get away with hiway robbery for a repack is because of the certification.

Skkeeter

07 FFL
    Apr 15, 2018
    Shelter Cove, Ca
    www.billygoatmachine.com
    Name
    Skkeeter
    Boat
    Do it yourself!!! its not rocket science and if you are sport then dont need the sticker cert. You can find info DIY on the net. The only reason they get away with hiway robbery for a repack is because of the certification.
    I like this comment the best😂
    thanks I’ll def look into it.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    I like this comment the best😂
    thanks I’ll def look into it.
    if you can make gun parts on a lathe & milling machine to 1000's of an inch tolerances then I am sure you can figure out how to fold up a rubber raft and pack it in a bag! and guess what? you can check your work by pulling the ripcord! only costs you a co2 canister. The added benefit is you can pack jerky, booze, tobacco in your raft..just in case.

Reactions: Danthefishman

J-Dog

Almost A Member
    Nov 13, 2007
    Valencia
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    43' Bertram "PierFection"
    if you can make gun parts on a lathe & milling machine to 1000's of an inch tolerances then I am sure you can figure out how to fold up a rubber raft and pack it in a bag! and guess what? you can check your work by pulling the ripcord! only costs you a co2 canister. The added benefit is you can pack jerky, booze, tobacco in your raft..just in case.
    That’s some funny shit right there. Nothing like custom provisions in your life raft. Can you imagine how much it would cost to have the company that certifies you raft add those provisions to your life raft?

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Hey I understand why passenger vessels need to have safety shit that isnt inspected by the drunk captain's stoned mate. but for the regular private operators do it your self! just like a parachute. I much prefer to pack my own than have it done by some some unknown guy on payroll by a company with the 'certification'. its not tough you inflate and see it it holds air for x hrs and pressure dosent drop, inspect visually for cracks etc.. inspect and replace, if necessary, anything else.

samotlietuvis

Feb 2, 2019
    Palmdale, CA
    Name
    Tomas
    Boat
    Sea Hunt Victory 207
    I just bought a 6 man new life raft for $800 shipped, was on sale, came loaded with the works, got 4 years until needs service. Another option for expensive recert.

Skkeeter

07 FFL
    Apr 15, 2018
    Shelter Cove, Ca
    www.billygoatmachine.com
    Name
    Skkeeter
    Boat
    Hey I understand why passenger vessels need to have safety shit that isnt inspected by the drunk captain's stoned mate. but for the regular private operators do it your self! just like a parachute. I much prefer to pack my own than have it done by some some unknown guy on payroll by a company with the 'certification'. its not tough you inflate and see it it holds air for x hrs and pressure dosent drop, inspect visually for cracks etc.. inspect and replace, if necessary, anything else.
    Ill probably get the raft back in a few weeks when it gets back from OR before I can open it up. Do you have any information on what type of Co2 canister they typically use and where to get them?

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    There are plenty resources out there on the internet regarding repacking rafts. Including on THT. Time for you to do your homework!

samotlietuvis

Feb 2, 2019
    Palmdale, CA
    Name
    Tomas
    Boat
    Sea Hunt Victory 207
    Where did you get a raft for $800
    thanks

The CREWSAVER COASTAL MARINER LIFERAFT at survivalataea.comwas on sale $695 beginning of the year, and came low $800s shipped to my home. The liferaft came in a vacuum seal bag - plan having it in my boat and not touching it for 10 years.

Latest posts