Nexus-Wanderer

Almost A Member
Jan 19, 2009
Arlington, WA
Name
Gary
Boat
24' North River O/S & 21' Nexus Dory
I just got back from a week long pack trip in the Gros Ventre headwaters of WY. It was a very productive trip. My two sons and I had elk tags and my dad had a deer tag. We went in with Gros Ventre Wilderness Outfitters with a total of two guides, a cook, two wives/mothers and 18 horses. As it turned out the weather was perfect, we did not have a drop of precipitation during the entire week with the nights getting down into the 20’s and the afternoons topping out in the 70’s. If anything it was a little to warm, but no one was complaining.

First day my youngest and I passed on a small 4x4 at daybreak, but at about 7:25 we heard one shot. My oldest son had just tagged a very respectable 6x6 with a 300 Win Mag. Twenty minutes into the season and he was done.

The next morning I had a bull bugle close enough that I could hear his footsteps, but never saw him. That afternoon we set up in a meadow at about 9,000 feet and about a half hour before dark we heard a nice bugle coming off the ridge to the left. Then he made the fatal mistake of stepping into the clearing about 230 yards away. I tagged him with the 7MM Mag. At first we thought it was a big 5x5, but once we got to him it turned out to be an older elk and was a 6x6. The butcher estimated that his live weight was around 1,000. He was old and tough so that makes for lots of ground meat! We cleaned and quartered it and headed to camp. The next morning we were back on the kill site packing the quarters on two horses when we heard a shot.

My youngest son was about a mile away and had been stalking a nice 4x5. It stepped into a small clearing through the trees and dead eye had it with one shot from his 30.06. Three days and three very nice elk.

Since we had three elk my dad was not in much of a rush to get a deer. We put in a good effort, but could not get in range of a deer.

If anyone is looking for a top notch outfitter in WY let me know. Our family has been hunting with this group since the 70’s and you will not find a better hunt.

Attachments

• Elk Hunt 2011 075.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2011 075.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Elk Hunt 2011 096.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2011 096.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Elk Hunt 2011 123.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2011 123.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Elk Hunt 2011 184.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2011 184.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Elk Hunt 2011 265.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2011 265.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Elk Hunt 2011 289.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2011 289.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 76

sumpnz

Almost A Member
Dec 13, 2010
Sedro-Woolley, WA
Name
Andrew
Awesome! Sadly this year I probably won't hunt at all, maybe an afternoon or two for local balcktails. But I can't think of a better reason to have hunting ruined than the impending birth of our 3rd kid.

Do you mind if I ask what it cost to use that outfitter?

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Hell yes!!!! Not much gets the blood pumpin like big bulls! Way to go fellas.

hybridcx

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 12, 2009
Sequim, Wa
Name
Jacob
Boat
22' c dory "plus 3"; willie db
Looks like a sweet trip with the fam. I would be Intereasted in knowing about the cost ball park of a trip like this?

masterrep

Sep 14, 2009
Federal Way WA
Www.Customplusdistributing.com
Name
Bob Oliver
Boat
26 ft North River OS
I just got back from a week long pack trip in the Gros Ventre headwaters of WY. It was a very productive trip. My two sons and I had elk tags and my dad had a deer tag. We went in with Gros Ventre Wilderness Outfitters with a total of two guides, a cook, two wives/mothers and 18 horses. As it turned out the weather was perfect, we did not have a drop of precipitation during the entire week with the nights getting down into the 20’s and the afternoons topping out in the 70’s. If anything it was a little to warm, but no one was complaining.

First day my youngest and I passed on a small 4x4 at daybreak, but at about 7:25 we heard one shot. My oldest son had just tagged a very respectable 6x6 with a 300 Win Mag. Twenty minutes into the season and he was done.

The next morning I had a bull bugle close enough that I could hear his footsteps, but never saw him. That afternoon we set up in a meadow at about 9,000 feet and about a half hour before dark we heard a nice bugle coming off the ridge to the left. Then he made the fatal mistake of stepping into the clearing about 230 yards away. I tagged him with the 7MM Mag. At first we thought it was a big 5x5, but once we got to him it turned out to be an older elk and was a 6x6. The butcher estimated that his live weight was around 1,000. He was old and tough so that makes for lots of ground meat! We cleaned and quartered it and headed to camp. The next morning we were back on the kill site packing the quarters on two horses when we heard a shot.

My youngest son was about a mile away and had been stalking a nice 4x5. It stepped into a small clearing through the trees and dead eye had it with one shot from his 30.06. Three days and three very nice elk.

Since we had three elk my dad was not in much of a rush to get a deer. We put in a good effort, but could not get in range of a deer.

If anyone is looking for a top notch outfitter in WY let me know. Our family has been hunting with this group since the 70’s and you will not find a better hunt.
Would be great if you could share the outfitter info. My emial is [email protected] if you could forward the details to me. I've wanted to take my father on a guided trip with my two brothers so there would be 4 of us. Thanks