santa rosa/ca/usa
Name
gary furness
Boat
na
I met representatives from two Elfin Cove lodges at the Sacramento ISE show
Both seemed very nice, and it looks like a great place to go with my fishing
daughter (15).
Any experiences/suggestions/ideas for a trip here, would be greatly appreciated.
Gary

terryc.

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
I've been there its pretty cool place if all your looking for is a lodge to stay in, food and fishing if that works for your daughter then its fine my girls might not have fared well after a day or 2 at that age. I fished 2 days caught the usual Salmon, halibut and ling cod. Most lings were in the throw back slot but we managed a few keepers they were all incidental while fishing halibut. Water was calm and fish are close to the dock. Cove is picturesque.

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
Go to Pybus point lodge. Elfin isn’t really a great fishery like they try to sell you on and most of the lodges require a boat ride from Juneau. Pybus float planes you in from Juneau and you fish same day as arrival. They just remodeled the lodge and guest rooms. Great captains and staff and brand new boats will make it an epic time.

terryc.

Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
FYI I didn't stay at a lodge when I was there I stayed on a boat. We did charter a float plane from Juneau to get there. above post is most likely correct fishing was just ok trolled for salmon Id guess up to 10 lbs. Halibut to 50 or 60lbs. caught on old school TLD30 reels, tuna sticks and cannonballs down deep.

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Elfin Cove has truly excellent fishing. Tanaku Lodge may be the best lodge out there, but also check out Eagle Charters and lodge as well. I like it from mid-June through the end of August.

Reactions: jrsay2

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
I met representatives from two Elfin Cove lodges at the Sacramento ISE show
Both seemed very nice, and it looks like a great place to go with my fishing
daughter (15).
Any experiences/suggestions/ideas for a trip here, would be greatly appreciated.
Gary
Fished Elfin Cove Resort four times and always had a good time. Fishing has been good for us, they have access to 3A where you can catch and keep larger halibut. Planning to go in August this year to catch the Coho run. Mike is great to work with, meals are excellent and accommodations comfortable.

I do not understand one of the posts above, we fly in and out on Alaska Seaplanes. Once we had to take a jet boat due to fog but that was a scenic 2.5 hour ride.

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Go to Pybus point lodge. Elfin isn’t really a great fishery like they try to sell you on and most of the lodges require a boat ride from Juneau. Pybus float planes you in from Juneau and you fish same day as arrival. They just remodeled the lodge and guest rooms. Great captains and staff and brand new boats will make it an epic time.
When you fish Pybus is it self guided or charter? How is the halibut fishing?

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
It’s both. You fish with a guide from 7-4 or so and then you can take the small skiffs around the bay and drift halibut. You get 1 with a guide and another solo. The halibut fishing was good but like most of Alaska they’re all chickens. Excellent rockfish and salmon fishing was standard too. I like the fact that most of the guides fished plastic and grins for halibut and cod and occasionally you could throw the spinner for salmon while downriggers trolling

ratboy

Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
It’s both. You fish with a guide from 7-4 or so and then you can take the small skiffs around the bay and drift halibut. You get 1 with a guide and another solo. The halibut fishing was good but like most of Alaska they’re all chickens. Excellent rockfish and salmon fishing was standard too. I like the fact that most of the guides fished plastic and grins for halibut and cod and occasionally you could throw the spinner for salmon while downriggers trolling
Like most of Alaska ? You are tripping we get a nice grade of fish!

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
From Elfin Cove one can fish 3A. Last three times fishing there, we caught 54” to 59” daily. 2016 to 2018.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I only guided up there for a handful of years... I must have no idea what I’m talking about. Your grade of fish sucks for guided fishing. Most of SE is 1 fish per day guided under 38” and it may be even smaller now. If people wanna go catch a giant like they dream of those days are long gone unless you are willing to spend all 5 days of a trip targeting big ones out deep.
[/QU

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
3A is elfin cove and you get one halibut per day guided and it’s under 28” I believe. Now southeast has broadened in the 2c area and you get one fish a day between 38”-80” which is a huge difference from the old guided slot of under 44”

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
In 2019 and prior, Elfin Cove was in 2C that allowed one to keep fish 38” or less or greater than 80”. One had to go across Cross Sound to enter 3A area where one could retain one halibut of any size daily except for certain Tuesday and Wednesday’s. Second halibut could be kept 28” or less but with four per year, it was not worth keeping the chicken.

i could not find 2020 regulations. If they changed and you have a link, please share.

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Based on the Alaska Journal, 2020 limits will be set sometime this week.

ratboy

Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
I only guided up there for a handful of years... I must have no idea what I’m talking about. Your grade of fish sucks for guided fishing. Most of SE is 1 fish per day guided under 38” and it may be even smaller now. If people wanna go catch a giant like they dream of those days are long gone unless you are willing to spend all 5 days of a trip targeting big ones out deep.
Since when? One any size and one 28" or less, Or two any size if you are sport fishing by yourself(not on a charter)....
I've only been going for 20 years and consistently see fish over 100 and seen them up to 270......Average fish is probably 40-60, I landed a 130# off my stand up paddle board a hundred yards off the beach.

I'm glad you know so much.

Reactions: kevina

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
In 2019 and prior, Elfin Cove was in 2C that allowed one to keep fish 38” or less or greater than 80”. One had to go across Cross Sound to enter 3A area where one could retain one halibut of any size daily except for certain Tuesday and Wednesday’s. Second halibut could be kept 28” or less but with four per year, it was not worth keeping the chicken.

i could not find 2020 regulations. If they changed and you have a link, please share.
Apologies I had the zones reversed in my mind. As far as I understand for this year it’s still 4 per year non resident Under 38”(lost 2 inches 3 years in a row) or over 80”. However non guided rentals will now most likely have the same limits and slots as the guided trips. Wednesday’s are still no halibut fishing days and there was rumble of a daily drop back to 1 fish no chicken rule about a fish under 28”.

Since when? One any size and one 28" or less, Or two any size if you are sport fishing by yourself(not on a charter)....
I've only been going for 20 years and consistently see fish over 100 and seen them up to 270......Average fish is probably 40-60, I landed a 130# off my stand up paddle board a hundred yards off the beach.

I'm glad you know so much.
2017 1 fish per day 44” and under or over 80”
2018 1 per day 40” or under and over 80”
2019 it was 1 per day 38” or under and over 80” self guided is any size 2 per day and the vendor isn’t supposed to assist your fishing in anyway other than provide a vessel. Guided Like you said has a different limit. Congrats on your paddle board fish that’s always a blast. I think my favorite halibut was the one I caught on a 7x surface iron when our followers were chasing eachother around the boat after every drop.

ratboy

Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
Apologies I had the zones reversed in my mind. As far as I understand for this year it’s still 4 per year non resident Under 38”(lost 2 inches 3 years in a row) or over 80”. However non guided rentals will now most likely have the same limits and slots as the guided trips. Wednesday’s are still no halibut fishing days and there was rumble of a daily drop back to 1 fish no chicken rule about a fish under 28”.

2017 1 fish per day 44” and under or over 80”
2018 1 per day 40” or under and over 80”
2019 it was 1 per day 38” or under and over 80” self guided is any size 2 per day and the vendor isn’t supposed to assist your fishing in anyway other than provide a vessel. Guided Like you said has a different limit. Congrats on your paddle board fish that’s always a blast. I think my favorite halibut was the one I caught on a 7x surface iron when our followers were chasing eachother around the boat after every drop.
Sounds fun on the surface, maybe a popper or fly would be cool too.....

Reactions: fishboy93

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
Sounds fun on the surface, maybe a popper or fly would be cool too.....
If you can find kelp or grass growing to the surface in a less current driven area you entice the Black bass and almost everything in the kelp to the surface. Caught a lot of black bass, greenling, a few lingcod, and plenty of halibut throwing the surface iron and occasional a large musky fly.

URN

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 20, 2018
Anchorage
Name
URN
Boat
Whaler 25
Not to hijack the thread too much but where can I see the regulation changes on the proposed halibut limits? Link to the ADFG would be nice. I've looked on the public notices for sport fishing and didn't see anything yet.

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
The ADFG does not regulate the Pacific halibut fishery, the International Pacific Halibut Commission makes the rules.
iphc.int/the-commission/fishery-regulations/
They are meeting this week to decide the 2020 regs so they should be out soon. Word has it that more cuts are coming so if your planning to book a trip you might want to check the new regs first because of the possibility of additional closed days.

URN

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 20, 2018
Anchorage
Name
URN
Boat
Whaler 25
Thanks for the reminder. I expect news releases will be sent out so new regulations won’t be a secret. I live in the Anchorage area and have a boat so the charter regs won’t apply.

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Not to hijack the thread too much but where can I see the regulation changes on the proposed halibut limits? Link to the ADFG would be nice. I've looked on the public notices for sport fishing and didn't see anything yet.
Meetings are this week. Not sure how soon published regs will post.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Regulations are not final yet but this is worth a read.