Electrical issue finally solved

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by RodRage, Feb 9, 2018.

1. RodRage

RodRage Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat:
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Had some intermittent E issues since buying the tub last summer and the other night while hooping lost all lights and GPS, Had to come in with glow sticks for runners and a squid lamp rigged to a power pack as a mast light. Replaced $185 worth of switches with no luck so today started ripping out wiring and found this, Three butt connectors and problem solved!

rr32.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Bottom Line likes this.
  2. Capt.C.Delany

Capt.C.Delany Club a Sea Lion, not a Sandwich.

Name:
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat:
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Well that looks healthy.,,

Bottom Line likes this.
  3. Hismosa

Hismosa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
    Rat problem? Obvious corrosion but looks like some teeth marks

4. RodRage

Name:
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat:
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Its corrosion I broke off the top layer, Terrible place for a plug.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    BiggestT and goatram like this.
  5. HookEmDanO

HookEmDanO Huhuhuge member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    BiggestT likes this.
  6. UnBelievable

UnBelievable F.V. UNBELIEVABLE

Name:
    Norm Campbell
    Boat:
    UnBelievable
    ITS A BOAT........NUF SAID!

7. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    2660 Sailfish WAC Reellife
    If you are gonna have plugs on a boat at least use the deutsch ones. That was a nightmare waiting to happen

8. rancanfish

rancanfish wow, how deep is it here?

Name:
    Harold Head
    Boat:
    BW Menemsha
    OxGard on the connections. Don't go crazy with it. I fix landscape wiring all the time. OxGard at OSH or ACE.

9. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    Those liquid electrical tape are completely worthless. The brushed-on "tape" turns brittle and with any flex, the tape would crack. The moisture would get in the cracks and work its way into the wires again. You need something that stays pliable over the life and remain waterproof. An alternative method is to completely epoxy the splice with a two part epoxy. People have used twist on connectors and epoxy them to keep moisture out. I personally don't recommend doing it that way, but the epoxy is an effective way to provide a permanent waterproof seal if done properly.

I recommend to do it properly with adhesive-lined heat shrink connectors. If an area has lots of moisture, I add another layer of heat shrink over and even add silicon inside as another barrier. The silicon actually stays pliable if no air gets inside to start the curing process. The excess would squeeze out at the ends as you shrink it. I shrink from the middle to the ends of the shrink tube to squeeze the excess out.

I bet your wires are already ruined. The way you can tell is to strip some wires back and if its black in color, its bad. You either strip as far as you can until the black is shiny copper or replace the wire run. The black color on the wire stands means moisture wicked inside and it would be a matter of time before the wire goes bad. I've measured some 18 gauge wires with over 100 ohms of resistance in less than two feet. If you are running a lot of current through those wires, the areas with high resistance would act like a fuse. You could even potentially have localized area of the wire where it heats up due to the corrosion.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Willdoggy likes this.
  10. HookEmDanO

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    hmmmmmmmmmm completely worthless?

I have used this stuff on every connection I have made on my current boat AND on my trailer with ZERO issues...let me repeat that...with ZERO issues...this is a 1997 boat...and I used this stuff on my prior boat a 1987 boat...so that is 30+ years with zero issues...yep..."completely worthless" says the guy with no boat

Performix Liquid Electrical Tape is a rubber coating for use as electrical tape and insulation. This flexible coating exhibits excellent protection from acid, alkaline, and abrasion, as wells as sealing out moisture and salt permanently.
    Performix Liquid Electrical Tape:
    • Rubber coating for use as electrical tape or insulation
    • Offers excellent protection from acid, alkaline and abrasion
    • Will not harden, unravel or become brittle in extreme conditions

sickcat, plj46 and BiggestT like this.
  11. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    I know how you feel. Always good to get the Electrical gremlins solved.

12. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    I’m with you. I use this stuff all the time. It’s a must for trailer wiring.

13. ShadowX

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    I have 3 boats currently. Just because I don't list them doesn't mean I don't have a boat. Everyone has an opinion and I don't trust any brushed on coating that sells for $4 on my boat. If you think the coating is effective, all you need to do is test it properly. I usually grab the wires and bend them close to a u shape and look for cracks. If you see cracks, its no good. All the brushed on tape I have worked with forms microscopic cracks that you can see if you get close. If you brushed it on and do not flex it when it dries, it may not crack. It all depends on the situation. I can guarantee you that there are no cracks with a double sealed joint with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing when I flex it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  14. HookEmDanO

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    u r missing out...this stuff does work...dont let the $4 affect your decision...I use it on my trailer also...those wires go into the water...NO issues

but...it sounds like you have never even givin it a chance..."I don't trust any brushed on coating that sells for $4 on my boat."

BiggestT likes this.
  15. ShadowX

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    Maybe I will give it a try if I see it on sale. Its definitely better than not having any sealant at all. In this particular case where its exposed to moisture (especially in a bilge area), I prefer to ensure the connections are solid. He mentioned the power went off on his boat, so its a critical connection. I would not even have any splices at all if its possible. The connectors look like 20A quick disconnects for a troll motor. Its just asking for trouble when used in an improper application.

16. HookEmDanO

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    there ya go...at least give it a try before ya bad mouth something ya have never tried...and based on its cost?

ohhhhhhhhh I have connectors in the bilge area....NO issues

did I mention my trailer wire conns? ya know those wire go directly under the water.... NO issues

17. rowdyrosco

rowdyrosco sancho

Name:
    ross
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20
    X2 on the adhesive shrink connectors, and the walmart snake oil being shit. If you peel the insulation back and see black, or copper or orange/red you have non-tinned wire and it is shit. Might as well wire the boat with romex.

18. ShadowX

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    I just went to Walmart for some food for tomorrow's fishing trip and picked up a bottle of the Performix liquid tape. It looks and smells similar to my Gardner Bender LTB-400 that I used before. I made a test wire splice and coated with the Performix and its curing now. I will let it completely cure overnight or a few days and do some bend tests to see if it delaminate. I use good PTFE coated and pre-tinned wires on my wiring jobs and they are not cheap.

The spec shows it can handle -30F to 200F. I will make a few bends at room temp and then cool it down on the fridge to 32F and then do additional bend tests while cold.

I will let you know the results when its done. I took some before pictures as reference.

https://performixcoatings.com/product/liquid-tape/
    Specifications
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Product Specifications:

Dielectric: (ASTM D-149) 1,400 v/mil
    Durometer shore A: (ASTM D-2240) 70
    Solids (wt.): 24%
    Salt spray: (ASTM B-117) passed 1,000 hours
    Tensile: (ASTM D-638) 3,740 psi
    Weather ability: (ASTM G-53) 3-5 years
    Elongation: (ASTM D-638) 430%
    Temperature use range: -30°F to 200°F.
    Cut resistance: (ASTM D-1044) Very good
    Shelf life: 1+ years at 77°F unopened container

Willdoggy likes this.
  19. RodRage

Name:
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat:
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Great pissin match gents maybe next time start your own thread?? FYI Boat runs great I'm in with limits of bugs!

rr33.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    sickcat, bman440440, 26grumpy and 2 others like this.
  20. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    NFK. Last week it was some clown telling me that my twin outboards on a bracket repower on my Conch 27 would completely destroy the balance of the boat and make it unsafe. Not only did the poster not own a Conch 27, but twin outboards on a bracket is how the boats are currently being built and I consulted with the boat builder and the bracket manufacturer throughout the repower process.

It's winter. Football is over. People are angry. They need to go fish or get laid.

RodRage, bman440440 and One_Leg like this.