Saltwater Electric reel for wife

blowncar

Sep 8, 2013
Ocean Shores Washington/Mexico waters
Name
james
Boat
52' Hatteras C Lobos Del Mar
Need an electric reel for the wife. She loves to fish but is not a fan of fishing 300ft deep with 8-10 oz weights or jigs. Also what battery packs do you suggest? I'd prefer one she can carry on an over the shoulder pouch. 300-350ft is as deep as we would need to go. thanks

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Do they even have a option like that I never seen that kind of set up sounds sweet though?

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Wow that pretty sick - Love Diawa product !

Upvote 0

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
    Sep 7, 2011
    Kent, WA USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Whichever I am invited onto
    Yeah, if you're not dropping into 800' out at the C-closure, then I bet the Tanacom 500 would be great. I have a Tanacom 1000 and it's a beast and is almost too much for jigging all day.

Upvote 0

JTC

Too Sirius
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Redmond Wa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
    Now add a Scotty downrigger plug to your boat so you can plug in and ditch the battery pack
    Diawa tanacom if you love her
    Diawa Seaborg if you really love her!
    if you ar from Ocean shores you may find yourself fishing more than 300’
    go with the 750

Reactions: glacierboat
    Upvote 0

blowncar

Sep 8, 2013
    Ocean Shores Washington/Mexico waters
    Name
    james
    Boat
    52' Hatteras C Lobos Del Mar
    We are actually on our boat in Mexico and bottom fishing is 300' and less normally. I have marinco plugs installed in my cockpit but we fish more often on my buddy's charter boat. That's why i'm interested in the portable battery packs.

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    We are actually on our boat in Mexico and bottom fishing is 300' and less normally. I have marinco plugs installed in my cockpit but we fish more often on my buddy's charter boat. That's why i'm interested in the portable battery packs.
    It is Illegal to use an electric reel in Mexican waters unless you have an approved handicap license The Mexican government must approve your disability in order for you to use the electric reel. That said I have the 750 it is a fairly large reel The 500 is smaller and lighter. Either reels you can plug into your boats 12 v dc system or get the smaller portable batteries.

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Shimano and Daiwa produce small electric reels made for jigging in the JDM market. The 300 size is perfect for the depths you are fishing. I occasionally see them on Ebay. You can of course also get a larger tanacom or even a drill attachment

here is a link to the Daiwa page for the reels.

For the battery pack, I like a wheelchair battery. You can easily fit it in a shoulder pack.

Reactions: blowncar
    Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
    Seattle
    Name
    "Mulligan"
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner Runabout
    It is Illegal to use an electric reel in Mexican waters unless you have an approved handicap license The Mexican government must approve your disability in order for you to use the electric reel. That said I have the 750 it is a fairly large reel The 500 is smaller and lighter. Either reels you can plug into your boats 12 v dc system or get the smaller portable batteries.
    Don't give WDFW any ideas

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    James,
    We have two Diawa’s on the boat for the kite and use the Diawa lithium batteries and they seem to work well... very small and easy.... I wouldn’t mess with a battery pack...

Cohoho
    Cohoho
    Those batteries may work for kites, etc... But they suck for deep drops. Got basically one pull up off of them. Used them several times without success for drops over 500ft.... Fire Alarm panel batteries work really well.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
    May 17, 2011
    Shelton, WA Mason
    www.sagecreekforums.com
    Name
    Greg Eastman
    Boat
    Kodak II - Arima SL 22
    I have a small battery and a power cord with clips- and another cord that uses a Marinco plug in a DR outlet. Haven't tried the battery yet.

And yes there is a lanyard

G

Tanecom.jpg

Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
    Yeah, if you're not dropping into 800' out at the C-closure, then I bet the Tanacom 500 would be great. I have a Tanacom 1000 and it's a beast and is almost too much for jigging all day.
    The 750 is prefect for everything we do. I have a 500 sized Seaborg and it’s strong enough but it would be nice to have the 750 line capacity.

Upvote 0

8Footer13

Sep 1, 2015
    Oak Karbor
    Name
    Wendell
    Boat
    Seaquest 2150WA
    Another use for electric reels besides fishing deep. My 85 year old mother loves to fish and last year the larger silvers were exhausting her; she was a one and done for the day. We had bought a Tanacom 500 for her to use on lingcod and halibut and wondered about using it for salmon. It took a little tweaking on the drag but worked great.

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Thanks everyone, ordered her the Banax 500tm. I'll work out the power supply. She now has the priciest reel of our collection :p I'm aware of the Mexican rule as well as the actual application of it.
    Cool!
    Happy wife, Happy husband,
    ....here is the portable battery pack I paired with my Tanacom 500 fishing all day as I mentioned earlier...so convenient to bring anywhere even brought as my power source to our camping last weekend:

36CCA644-22BC-4CED-B1AB-380CE23514EA.jpeg

04CCB4AC-073C-45F2-B846-701636E12D26.jpeg

Reactions: no excuses
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Need an electric reel for the wife. She loves to fish but is not a fan of fishing 300ft deep with 8-10 oz weights or jigs. Also what battery packs do you suggest? I'd prefer one she can carry on an over the shoulder pouch. 300-350ft is as deep as we would need to go. thanks
    Did you get one?

Upvote 0