Electra-Dyne pot hauler

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Black-is-Back, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Black-is-Back

Black-is-Back Wishin i was Fishin

Name:
    Hey you
    Boat:
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    I picked up a used one this past spring. Now I need to figure out how to mount the beast. It's heavy!

Is anybody using an Electra Dyne? I'm wondering if a davit arm made from 1.5" schedule 80 aluminum tube is strong enough to hold this thing..

I can pick up some pre-made aluminum davit mounts that already have the plastic delron inserts but they only come made for 1.5" pipe.

http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/spo...ks/ez-pull-flat-sleeved-davit-base-1-1-2.html

2. rowdyrosco

rowdyrosco sancho

Name:
    ross
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20
    1.5" sch40 with a big gusset in the crotch is strong enough to haul anything you can dream up.

3. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    2" schedule 80 with 1/4" flat bar stuck up it's ass for rigidity. I had a couple of delrin pieces made as bearing surfaces.

Electra Dyne can pull a load. Schedule 40 will be a twisted pile of junk.

http://www.electra-dyne.com/

this my thread of the one I made. Before going to the Discovery Bay motor I looked into getting a Electra Dyne

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/pot-puller.605878/#post-3944205

Discovery Bay

http://www.discoverybaymarinegear.com/info/powerhauler.asp

I built this to be able to help get a friend out of the water if he ever fell in. Found it was unpractical. even with a 1.5" schedule 80 pipe shoved up inside the 2" schedule 80 the upright would start to bow over with a 250 weight on it. so we shoved the flat bar inside to stiffen it up some more.

Good Luck

4. meandmyself

meandmyself Who knows

Name:
    edgar teixeira
    Boat:
    1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
    What will you be pulling with it? Lobster pot? It can pull 100 lbs. commercial crab pots easy. But if your pulling only lobsrter traps no need for over kill.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  5. rowdyrosco

rowdyrosco sancho

Name:
    ross
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20
    l
    Both those links show very poorly designed products, and even a sch40 1.25" davit would turtle the boat before it bent or broke. Brother, PM me if you want a pro setup that has nothing to do with these donkeys "ideas".

CaLipRipper likes this.
  6. Black-is-Back

Black-is-Back Wishin i was Fishin

Name:
    Hey you
    Boat:
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    Well.. for what it's worth. I called the manufacturer this afternoon. They recommended 2 inch schedule 80 aluminum pipe and 3/8's plate coming off the vertical pipe to hold the puller.

At least that's the dimensions of the davit system they sell. If that davit system fit my boat, I would just buy it and be done with it even at 500 bucks.

By the time I'm done building my own I'm sure I'll be well over that after hiring a welder.

I called around today trying to find 5086 2" schedule 80. The fifth place I called had it in stock for 160 bucks for an 8-foot section.

Every other shop I called had to special order and would only sell a 20' stick.

After I'm done with wiring, switchgear and fuses I'll be over a G Eazy.

Break out another G!

Thanks for the input gentleman.

7. rowdyrosco

rowdyrosco sancho

Name:
    ross
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20
    Nothing wrong with 6061 for that, in fact it's pretty much the standard because 5086 is not readily available. Don't over think it man, you're pulling 8# traps, I pull 100# traps with my sch40 davit, no flex.

8. kj6883

kj6883 Capt Kirk

Name:
    Kirk James
    Boat:
    Custom Davis pilothouse w/250 hp Honda ( OFF SITE 2 ), 16' power drifter, 25'Skipjack fisherman
    you need 6063 if you want to bend it, 6061 will break if you bend to much. 160 bucks is way to much also. Kirk

Bottom Line likes this.
  9. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    6061 will bend ok if it is in a t4 or less condition , and bend radius is at least 3x material diameter. unfortunately most places stock t6 from my experience.

Bottom Line likes this.