Apr 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA, USA
Name
Mark Franics
Boat
Sold it!
I have been waiting for a long time to see this:

1 Sand Bass, 30 Bonito, 200 Mackarel, 14 Yellow Tail, 11 Dorado, 1 Bluefin Tuna
Gotta be honest... hard to believe that the Electra put up those numbers. Where you on the boat, or are you just going off of Helgren's barely up to date website?

I hope it's true, just hard to believe, considering the boat and the landing.

Upvote 0

vincentek9

halibut suck
Apr 9, 2010
anaheim, CA
Name
Vince
Boat
AVparker
i mean.. if there are paddies holding yt within 5 miles of point loma (and i also saw a big school of birds working with some big fish metered at 100ft... only 5 miles from point loma). those numbers could very well be a lucky dodo paddy with a bft under it. whoever brought the gear to land those fish must have been very optimistic and even more lucky.

Upvote 0

Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
we got drove up on by t the O 95 in the morning and the sea trek in the afternoon while we were all hooked .They landed a few fish and left once they squashed the bite. Helgrens captains are trained to poach?If the Electra fishes the same way they could stumble onto a couple fish....I guess. we put 15 in the box despite their interference

Upvote 0

fisher3

Deckhand
Jun 29, 2009
Southern California
Name
Spliff
Boat
18 ft CC Starcract "Kelp Runner" 224 Chaparral Fisherman
Yeah. Poach paddies. And take my spots! It's true tho, hard to believe yeah. But there's warm water, and fish reports with dodos as close to shore you can see how many pople in each car on the 5.

Upvote 0

daniel7

Jun 28, 2008
Oceanside/Ca/USA
Name
Daniel Christman
Boat
n/a
I landed one yellowtail on the only trip I have ever been on that boat. I hope Rick on the 95 brings back some respect for that landing cause it is a pile all around!

Upvote 0

mafrancis66

Apr 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA, USA
Name
Mark Franics
Boat
Sold it!
I fished the 095 last Friday with no complaints. 27 paying passengers and 2 deadheads for 43 yellowtail and 1 BFT and 1 YFT. I went 4-5 on the yellows. Lost one at the gaff, I was being stupid and lift the head out of the water right when the deckhand went to gaff. He missed and hit my line and popped the hook. No biggie, it certainly wasn't a jack pot fish or anything like that. I was bummed about not scoring a any tuna, but oh well, next time.

Now on the other hand, the office needs to get their shit together! Was told to be at the office by 4:15 so they could get everyone checked in, so we would be on time. They didn't open the office until 4:45 and they were training a new employee. She was there at 4am and the poor lady waited at least 20 minutes outside before anyone showed up to let her in. If that was my first day, and they made me wait that long, I would have told them to stick it and leave. Bullshit to waste people's time like that.

So, fish the 095, but be ready for what the office has in store for you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Cool, glad they're close in and a chance for many to catch some exotics!
We caught Dorado and Yellowfin on Freelance off San Onofre and Laguna
in the 88' El Nino. One Bull dodo threw the Zuker and went back thru my cheek.
We butterflied it up, went back and I caught that sucker, fished all day then
had 28 stitches on the way home. One big oweee but tasty dinner. LOL

At this rate, the Inshore and Islands Fish Reports section will go out of business? LOL

Reactions: vincentek9
Upvote 0