Elections and friendships. (Not a political thread)

Discussion in 'Personal News' started by drseiler, Nov 8, 2012.

?

Can an election kill a firendship or a family members relationship?

Poll closed Nov 13, 2012.
  1. Yes.

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. No.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. maybe try to work on it.

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. Fuck it, kill them all.

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. drseiler

drseiler Super-Model

Name:
    Hal Danish or Harry Tators
    Boat:
    19' Mako
    I am sure this has been done on here before but here is my question.

Can an election cost friendships or even family relationships to end? I voted #4

I don't want this to become a thread about who's right and who's wrong. You see I have a group of friends that see things completely to the left and I am on the right. Now when these very people do things that are unethical and down right wrong and I call them on it. They get pissy. at this point in life I really don't see them much but I am also thinking of removing myself from any contact with them. That decision is mine to make, I am just wondering how many of us out there are in this same sitchuation I am right now.

2. Marcus

Marcus "Oddjob"

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
    Personally I have plenty of friends all over the political spectrum. I don't hold anyones political views against them. I may not agree with them but there are other reasons why we are friends and I don't let that overshadow it.

Lifes to short to let stupid stuf like politics get in the way of good friends.

3. Fishbones

Fishbones Your wife thinks about ME

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    I still like Saluki and Marcus.[​IMG]

4. Sherm

Sherm aka: The Sherminator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Yak

Well Saluki anyway. :D :hali_olutta:

5. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    yes.

been there.

Had a good friend and long time co-worker. Our families used to camp and fish together, travel Baja together, etc. We never did talk politics, for whatever reason.

back in the 2000 election he suddenly became a very vocal liberal. I didn't care.....but then, he began trying to convince me that my political point of view was "skewed". One evening he became somewhat annoying to the point of me saying something like "hey, we can agree to disagree, but I am DONE discussing it with you."

that was pretty much the end of our friendship. I was fine just leaving politics out of our interactions, but he just could not accept the fact that I did not see the world as he did. He soon left for another job. Then got divorced.

I sure miss all the fun times are families had together, but que sara sara.

6. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    A douche is a douche no matter what side of the political spectrum they swing from.

I don't base my friendships on ones political leanings, I base my friendships on whether the person is a first class douche or not.

j

PS. If people start whining in my ear about politics, I just walk away, friend or not.

7. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    Since I made the decision that there are more that 2 parties......and separate voting pole locations for only 2 parties.........I still feel left out.

I have friends of every color, including speckled, and they all have value........some just more that others.

8. drseiler

drseiler Super-Model

Name:
    Boat:
    19' Mako
    I hear you, I love these friends as we have been friends for over 30 years and go camping, fishing and what not. I did tell them today since we are all going shooting at the desert this weekend that nobody even brings up politics. LOL they agreed. I guess sometimes friends that are right there in the battle field of life with you go other directions and I do accept their views. Just is a trip how people change over this shit. I'll let you know if they make it home from the desert this weekend. :rofl:Or not.

9. Mikieb

Mikieb Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Crash & Burn
    I've seen alcohol kill more friendships than politics, nobody likes a quiter :hali_olutta:

10. Marcus

Marcus "Oddjob"

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    I have a couple of buddies that we completely disagree about politics on. The thing is if any of us are in trouble we can all call each other and are willing to do whatever is necessary to take care of each other.

I know this would include burying a body if necessary. :D

11. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    You just must...." agree to diasgree" and leave it at that..... other wise your dooomed..

12. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    Just deleted a nephew from FB who lives in Germany. (his comment were not directed at me, but the person he was talking to had similar views as I do).

I don't mind disagreeing, and even a small argument, but when people start calling another persons views retarded, idiotic, racist, morons, etc. I just find it that that person has no respect for others opinions, so I really don't want to deal with that person at any level.

13. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador

oh, good......we're still buddies. :)

14. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    Wednesday I deleted a niece from my FB that was so far to the left & couldn't STFU that her guy won the election it was making me sick to my fucking stomach. I wanted to fly back to Illinois and bitch slap my sister for not teaching her to win with dignity & learn when to STFU.

She Niece then sent me a txt after seeing I unfriended her "Uncle Brandon, are you mad at me because Mitt is a loser?"

I took a picture of my next shit before I wiped my ass & txt it to her "Thinking of you.......now stop communicating with me until you grow up"

15. drseiler

drseiler Super-Model

Name:
    Boat:
    19' Mako
    Oh I hear you on all ponts made. The F.B. thing, holy crap I dropped that thing 18 months ago and I am so happy I did. B.D. is enough of all the websites social networking I need. I got tired of friends crap via FB so I deleted myself.:rofl: BTW at this point much like the country this poll is divided right down the middle on Yes and on Kill them all. Hmmmm, ok like 3 people voted try work it out.

16. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    I'm still pissed that Roseanne Barr didn't win.

17. 1:11

1:11 WMDcustoms

Name:
    Boat:
    Politics is our world and life views, not just our opinion of two parties or persons. Anything can kill a friendship or relationship. Only compassion, love, understanding and forgiveness can mend one though.

It is more important to determine what a friend is. There are blood relationships, 'buddies', neighbors, and true friends.

What FB defines as "friends" is a very interesting concept. I do not think political views can kill a friendship, but they can put distance in certain relationships when one or both people are mentally ill, weak, or sick. In some cases i have found that we are better off having certain people out of our lives until they grow up or stop being destructive towards themselves or others.

If the behavior of a friend is causing you to lower your standards and have less integrity in this world i strongly recommend re-evaluating and perhaps moving on from the relationship. It does take courage to do this, and compassion to do it in a loving constructive way, even when you are attacked verbally, and do not put yourself in a position to be physically attacked by this person. Praise God, Amen.

18. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    When one of my friends starts in on the political thing, I simply ask that we instead talk about something less divisive... like religion or the Chargers... :D

19. Marcus

Marcus "Oddjob"

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    The FB thing was ridiculous.

I had people on both sides bitching and talking shit the whole time up until the election.

The thing is, these political conversations would never come up if you were there with the person so why the fuck do people feel it necessary to talk shit on FB?

I unfriended a couple of people because I got tired of the non-stop political crap coming out of them.

20. drseiler

drseiler Super-Model

Name:
    Boat:
    19' Mako
    I am sure if politics were allowed to be spoken freely on BD this site would have exploaded on Tuesday. I guess when people are on the web they have bigger balls than in person. My thing is I have a son and when I see people that don't care about the children of this country I feel they really don't care about the future of this country. It all starts with what our children will face down the road because the children will be ones who run this country, fight for this country and make the laws that will decide the older folks as well as their childrens future. So when my friends act like their views are the only way and they don't take into consideration that the people after them in line don't matter, then you get what I feel is the current status of at least 50% of the thinking thats present in our contry today. the whole I don't care attitude , let the government take care of them attitude makes me sick. yes there are a shit ton of these people out there and the sick thing is most of them are the younger generations. I guess when you live off of mom and dads money while you go to college and listen to a person who lives in a protected world of their opinons are the only correct ones. These things like what we have in front of us happen. I will try to teach my son right from wrong. He will makes his own way in life but I pray he knows what is right and follows that path throughout his life and teaches that to his children. If he can afford to have children one day. He is 2 years old right now. How bad will it be by the time he is 18+ years old?