El Nino. good or bad for inshore?

DONNIE SD

Class on Wednesday
Jan 19, 2009
Santee,CA
Name
Allen
This is a Fishing Network / Website Right??

Can you believe some of the people on / in here....

Bloody Decks....where is the quality control here???

I am hoping we just don't get invaded by Tuna Crabs this go around...Nothing would bite when that happened last time.

White crocker should be RED HOT inshore...LOL
whats your method... where would be a good place to start from the shore(The crocker). I surf fish with chovs or squid... but never had luck on the crocker....

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
During the last el nino and fishing the catalina gold cup(also the last of those),we couldn't troll 1 mile with out getting dorado bit....which actually kinda sucked cause it was a marlin tournament!
The second day while fishing kinda half way between sci and cat we came upon the mother of all kelp patties that was so loaded with dorado that we had a full on wfo bite that we had to leave because we wanted to win a freaking marlin tournament....very bitter sweet.
You could see jumping dorado for 1/4 mile all around that patty!!!I still have regrets we didn't just go have some fun,but we did tie for third that year....along with 87 other boats! rip cb2 I miss ya buddy
This sounds kinda familiar LOL it reminds me of a very cloudy memory I have :drunk

RIP CB2

Innocent Bystaner

Innocent Bystander
Nov 5, 2006
Poway, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
Innocent Bystander 2901 Seaswirl
You Fools, NOAA built the Ark. And saved all the fishies 2 X 2. It's in the Bible somewhere. I think it's in the the first part or maybe the middle or towards the end. I forgot but it's there.

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Marlin in La Jolla...I promise!

moto110

TEAM B-SQUAD
Mar 16, 2009
Lomita,CA
Name
Kevin Jansen
Boat
17cc B-Squad
you thinks its gunna affect the threshers?

jscrib

Whale Cock
Apr 29, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
j
Boat
VS
I caught some perch today.

j

moto110

TEAM B-SQUAD
Mar 16, 2009
Lomita,CA
Name
Kevin Jansen
Boat
17cc B-Squad
I'm sure you'll be able to drag and snag all you want...
hhahaha.....NO! not how i do it. all about live bait and a circle hook

Cabojoe

" loose lips sink ships"
Nov 11, 2008
huntington beach
Name
"kooter"
Boat
skipjack
el nino i was catching do dos and the end of seal beach jetty on megabaits....they were all over that warm water coming out of the jetty ....people were tripping on me walking back with my mahi.. i will try to get the photos out of my old comp..

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
Very very very Bad. Always has been. Water should not be over 70 on the beach. Kelp dies no sand bass, cuda,bones,only a small amount of yellows. Its Bad keep the warm water off shore and in mexico.65 to 69 water is best in so cal coast. Fish and kelp love it and so does the bait.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Red Tide is always a turd in the punchbowl inshore too....I'll take 68-70 and clean...

wolfman

wolfman
Aug 7, 2004
c-bad
Name
larry holems
Boat
9/6 longboard
local weather forcasts are wrong all the time what makes you think they can predick an el nino just claim el nino for 25 years every year and one of these years they will claim la nina and it will really be el nino then they switch it to being el nino.

captjeffjones

Embellishment detector.
Jun 6, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Captain Jeff Jones
Boat
Depends on which client....
It magically turns ordinary fishermen into "Experts". Everybody will catch small yellowfin and dorado. Next year there will be 50 new 6-pac boats. Then.....A couple years of slow fishing due to no bait/kelp. The 6-pacs will go out of business and all the "Experts" will eat some humble pie. Seabass will get hard to find again (thank god) and hopefully the commercial squid guys will move to yet another spot to kill them all. The water in Cabo gets too warm, literally. Kiss the albies goodbye for a couple years. Marine biologists will say it's from overfishing and close the whole thing down. Ready for El-Nino? Go be an "expert!"

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
I remember the El Nino event of the early 80's and catching yellowtail right at the oceanside harbor mouth which was not uncommon that summer. They would chase bait right up onto the breakwater. I have also noticed that warm water events kill off our kelp beds creating better access to usually hidden reef areas creating great calico bass fishing for that summer/fall season anyway. Unfortunatly, this leaves the resource very vulnerable to over fishing because not every boat on the water practices catch and release especially with the bigger bass. After El Nino, the payback is usually several years of poor bass fishing when the cool water and kelp beds return and the stock can recover. I guess we take the good with the bad.

IMAKECARSFAST

provider of protien
Aug 24, 2004
ramona
Name
Brian
Boat
22foot, glacierbay center console, REEL BROKE
just go fishing!!!.... who care what the title of the weather pattern is... some times fishing is good... sometimes its bad....

im still gonna fish!!!

when was the last time you heard the weather people say....

"its gonna be a NORMAL year full of normal weather and normal predictable conditions... every thing should be average... no suprises this year!"

things change... and if your a good fisherman you will adapt when it happens!!!

doorman

Bartle Doo
Sep 14, 2009
lakeside
Name
Brett Murray
Boat
21', champion,
haha that was a great. thanks for the laugh

imDEREK

Jul 19, 2007
OB
Name
Derek
Boat
26' Panga
Very true--and I'm surprised it's taken so long for someone to say this.

Giant Kelp's upper temperature tolerance is 70 degrees F, so a strong El Nino will hurt the backbone of local fisheries--barracuda, calico bass, swrf, bonito and local yellowtail.

Furthermore, warm water holds less oxygen than cool water and can support smaller populations of phyto and zooplankton. So while an El Nino permits one to target exotic pelagics close to home, remember it is tropical water temperatures in a temperate ecosystem.