El Niño officially announced

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
its been a long time for me, but does this el nino typically bring warmer water to socal or cold water. What does this mean for BFT? is that a no show for them.... is it more a YFT anYT show on the banks???

El Niño allows the California Current to push farther north against the Humbolt Current, as I recall, and the water is warmer from the Equator north.

Bluefin are already here, and will likely remain so as long as the forage is there. El Niño temperature effects aren’t really drastic until Summer and Fall, if I recall correctly, and since the bluefin regulate their own body temperature to a large extent, they are more tolerable for acceptable temperature ranges.

Back in the day, bluefin used to be found in 58 - 65 degree water and were usually pushed onward once the temps got to 66 or better, again IIRC, but what we’ve seen the past two years since I’ve been back have shown the bluefin to be quite happy with temps in the mid to upper 70’s.

If the El Niño effect is strong this year, do look for significant numbers of quality yellowfin, dorado and yellowtail offshore this summer and fall.

Upvote 0

Maing

Maing
  • Oct 20, 2017
    Washington
    Name
    Maing
    Boat
    Me yak fer now
    El Niño allows the California Current to push farther north against the Humbolt Current, as I recall, and the water is warmer from the Equator north.

Bluefin are already here, and will likely remain so as long as the forage is there. El Niño temperature effects aren’t really drastic until Summer and Fall, if I recall correctly, and since the bluefin regulate their own body temperature to a large extent, they are more tolerable for acceptable temperature ranges.

Back in the day, bluefin used to be found in 58 - 65 degree water and were usually pushed onward once the temps got to 66 or better, again IIRC, but what we’ve seen the past two years since I’ve been back have shown the bluefin to be quite happy with temps in the mid to upper 70’s.

If the El Niño effect is strong this year, do look for significant numbers of quality yellowfin, dorado and yellowtail offshore this summer and fall.
    Awesome! Thanks for breaking that down. Makes a lot of sense from what I have heard as well!! I really want to catch more BFT! And hope they stick around!

Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 24, 2004
    Texas
    Name
    David
    Boat
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    Madden Julian Oscillation is the Man Bear Pig of Pacific tropical weather!
    Seriously, I've been looking at Columbia University forecasr

Madden Julian Oscillation! That is the Man Bear Pig of Pacific Tropical weather.
    What I like is the Columbia University ENSO site. They list by months the probabilities of La Nina, neutral, or El Nino. Strong for all 2019. Numbers tapper off later in year.

I was just referencing the link in post #22. No comprende Man Bear Pig

Upvote 0

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
    buckley wa
    Name
    josh
    Boat
    Yes
    Man bear pig is a half man, half bear, half pig creature from South Park.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
    Jun 6, 2012
    Tempe San Diego
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    35 Cabo Express
    The boat is serviced and ready and the reels are being serviced now. Bring it on!

Reactions: MItoCali
    Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Man bear pig is a half man, half bear, half pig creature from South Park.
    No wonder Al Gore was trying to kill him,he doesnt add up either..

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    its been a long time for me, but does this el nino typically bring warmer water to socal or cold water. What does this mean for BFT? is that a no show for them.... is it more a YFT anYT show on the banks???
    The way things have happened the last 5 years anyone who thinks they can predict what will happen with any accuracy is livin in fantasyland..

Upvote 0

Justin1976

Also known as IronClaw
    Feb 1, 2019
    Lodi ca
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    Any that float
    The way things have happened the last 5 years anyone who thinks they can predict what will happen with any accuracy is livin in fantasyland..
    From what I understand, Only the 50+ Lb yellowfins and 30 lb yellowtail will make way into SoCal to celebrate El Niño the smaller ones stay in Mexico.

Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    I used to see a YOY rolling count of fish totals by species for SD but I can't find it. We could use that with a weather history overlay to guestimate how this year will go.

Upvote 0

Maing

Maing
  • Oct 20, 2017
    Washington
    Name
    Maing
    Boat
    Me yak fer now

I agree. Im just coming from Washington to fish socal. lots of things to plan. getting time off is a pain in the ass. trying to plan for the fall with several trips spread out over OCT-NOV. just want the best opportunity to get a BFT!!! it fishing.....cant predict it and if I could I would fish for a living...!!!

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    I agree. Im just coming from Washington to fish socal. lots of things to plan. getting time off is a pain in the ass. trying to plan for the fall with several trips spread out over OCT-NOV. just want the best opportunity to get a BFT!!! it fishing.....cant predict it and if I could I would fish for a living...!!!
    Actually so cal used to be very predictable... not just fishing but weather also..
    We used to have seasons for Santa ana winds but not anymore ..
    We do commercial fish and used to have things pretty dialed in as far as what,where and when but the last 5 years or so have completely flipped the script...
    Foaming Bluefin in 60 degree water 2 miles off the beach in December !!!???
    I guarantee you will find no one around here who has seen that before....
    When it was reported most guys thought it was a joke...

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
    Upvote 0

Sandydog

Almost A Member
    Mar 18, 2017
    Dana Point, CA
    Name
    John Kim
    Boat
    n/a
    Foaming Bluefin in 60 degree water 2 miles off the beach in December !!!???
    I guarantee you will find no one around here who has seen that before....
    When it was reported most guys thought it was a joke...
    The water temp has been this warm (about 60 F) during winter in 1931, 1959, 1998, and 2014-2015. 1940-41, 1958, and 1993-94 were pretty close too. 1931 also had the previous highest recorded water temp at Scripps pier (78.4 F) until 2018 (78.6 F).

https://shorestationsdata.ucsd.edu/lajolla_sio/figures/SST_SBT_latest.jpg
    https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/shorestations/

Also, I'm not convinced the water temp really had much to do with the bluefin showing up that close to shore. On the east coast, bluefin have been caught in water from 48-63 F. Our waters are in that temp range every winter. I suspect the bluefin swing through the Channel Islands and Catalina channel frequently if not every year. It's just that until recently, nobody was ever looking for them. In 1988 a purse seiner caught a 600+ bluefin off of Santa Rosa Island. They're rare enough that it's not worth it to go out there every day looking for them. So when they are seen or caught, it's because a boat lucked out and the big fish just happened to be where the boat was fishing.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-11-10/business/fi-266_1_san-pedro

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    Also, I'm not convinced the water temp really had much to do with the bluefin showing up that close to shore.
    I don't think water temps seem unusual but in my lifetime of fishing so cal more incredibly rare things have happened in the last 5 or 6 years than in the 35 years before that...
    We had a definite pattern for many years that would put us in certain places at certain times like clockwork with the occasional change up...
    Spent winter after winter since the early 80s bouncing between islands on sport and commercial boats and never saw 100 to 300 lb bluefin blowin up in spot after spot the way we have seen the last 5 years..
    Whale sharks and wahoo at the local rigs?30 lb cubera snapper taken at Palos Verdes..
    Spotter plane info that is absolutely mind boggling ..
    These last 5 years the term WTF has been used more than ever in the so cal fishing world...

It seems the predictability of so cal fishing in the short term has become impossible..

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    This year will be interesting...

First we have the polar vortex bringing temperatures down to near freezing in Southern California...

dfe69859588013ee42a10e84886adeed3a058006b8547388211af84465272f0b.png

But then we have the El Nino down south, and certain models are calling for a stronger El Nino later in the year...

d61a92e76dff2e85b8cf409cfddfdc39e01934fde0083a816283686bbfd60853.jpg

Nobody seems to know what's going on.

What happens when an El Nino meets a polar vortex?

Wahoo chasing albacore?

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    The water temp has been this warm (about 60 F) during winter in 1931, 1959, 1998, and 2014-2015. 1940-41, 1958, and 1993-94 were pretty close too. 1931 also had the previous highest recorded water temp at Scripps pier (78.4 F) until 2018 (78.6 F).

https://shorestationsdata.ucsd.edu/lajolla_sio/figures/SST_SBT_latest.jpg
    https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/shorestations/

Also, I'm not convinced the water temp really had much to do with the bluefin showing up that close to shore. On the east coast, bluefin have been caught in water from 48-63 F. Our waters are in that temp range every winter. I suspect the bluefin swing through the Channel Islands and Catalina channel frequently if not every year. It's just that until recently, nobody was ever looking for them. In 1988 a purse seiner caught a 600+ bluefin off of Santa Rosa Island. They're rare enough that it's not worth it to go out there every day looking for them. So when they are seen or caught, it's because a boat lucked out and the big fish just happened to be where the boat was fishing.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-11-10/business/fi-266_1_san-pedro

They caught fish to over 1,000 lbs during that Santa Rosa event.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    The one thing that is different this year is that the tuna have stayed close to shore. We have had steady reports all winter of BFT with a handful caught/shot.

With some stable weather coming this week and next don't be surprised to hear of BFT being caught by private boaters.

I might go take a look on sat in the usual spots.

Upvote 0

Maing

Maing
  • Oct 20, 2017
    Washington
    Name
    Maing
    Boat
    Me yak fer now
    The one thing that is different this year is that the tuna have stayed close to shore. We have had steady reports all winter of BFT with a handful caught/shot.

With some stable weather coming this week and next don't be surprised to hear of BFT being caught by private boaters.

I might go take a look on sat in the usual spots.
    Sweet!!! Let us know what ya see???

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    The BFT tagging reports I've read recently confirm that the fish we're getting are the same ones traveling down from Japan. Coincidence between the reduction of international quotas on BFT catch since the 2012 report, and California BFT? Probably not.

For those wondering where the albacore have gone... I'd guess it's similar.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    This year will be interesting...

First we have the polar vortex bringing temperatures down to near freezing in Southern California...

dfe69859588013ee42a10e84886adeed3a058006b8547388211af84465272f0b.png

But then we have the El Nino down south, and certain models are calling for a stronger El Nino later in the year...

d61a92e76dff2e85b8cf409cfddfdc39e01934fde0083a816283686bbfd60853.jpg

Nobody seems to know what's going on.

What happens when an El Nino meets a polar vortex?

Wahoo chasing albacore?
    It gets to near freezing every winter in SoCal.Go inland 15 or 20 miles and it does freeze every winter in SoCal.There's nothing El Nino about it.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    On the coast, though, it hasn't been this cold in years. A couple of weeks ago, there were reports of snow in Malibu. Winter felt like winter this year.

But it should warm up in the next few weeks so we'll see what that indicates for fishing. Should be interesting.

Upvote 0