El Huerfanito.

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by 2GORDOS, Nov 26, 2017.

1. 2GORDOS

2GORDOS Member

Name:
    ALEJANDRO SALAZAR
    Boat:
    22 CENTURY,REEL NICE
    Most of my friends are down there right now. Wish them all tight lines. Good luck. Leave some for me.

2. Worthy

Worthy Newbie

Name:
    Worthy
    Boat:
    Need a deckhand?
    Hope they had no problem going through San Felipe

3. 2GORDOS

2GORDOS Member

Name:
    ALEJANDRO SALAZAR
    Boat:
    22 CENTURY,REEL NICE
    What is going on in San Felipe?

4. 1 Ola Mas

1 Ola Mas Well-Known "Member"

Looking at the Coronados from the patio...
    Name:
    WoodEye
    Boat:
    15' Gregor 25hp Mariner
    Mayhem. Protesters burning guvmint vehicles because there is a ban on fishing.

5. 2GORDOS

2GORDOS Member

Name:
    ALEJANDRO SALAZAR
    Boat:
    22 CENTURY,REEL NICE
    My buddy got stuck in It trying to leave San Felipe. The government arrested the local fishermen’s leader. The loudest government critic over the ban on fishing. Government says he was dealing liquid meth and said they arrested him with a number of grams of the drug. Then immediately put the guy on a plane to Mexico City. Locals said he was set up and that’s when the shit hit the fan.
    My buddy almost made it through the road blockades north of town. He had a front row seat. Saw the whole thing unfold.

Worthy and cortezpirasea like this.
  6. greenscales

greenscales Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Pro Angler 14
    when you say ban on fishing - can you please elaborate? Do you mean all forms of fishing or just commercial? And where? And is it immediate or in the future?
    I just left a tackle store in the Los Angeles area and was told that SAC was discussing Mexico banning all Forms of fishing within 200 Miles of Baja -seems excessive. Then heard John Collins in Let’s Talk Hook Up state the President enacted an MLPA type ban - but uncertain where. I delayed going down to chase Bluefin and was hoping to get down this week and try to stay ahead of the wind. So appreciate any info so I don’t waste the time. Thanks.

7. 1 Ola Mas

1 Ola Mas Well-Known "Member"

Looking at the Coronados from the patio...
    Name:
    WoodEye
    Boat:
    15' Gregor 25hp Mariner
    Supposedly gillnets are banned near san flippy. One of the leaders of the fishermans co-op was arrested w/ drugs (planted they say) so they are pissed. Just use H1 if you’re worried about getting caught up.

8. greenscales

greenscales Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Pro Angler 14
    Thank you

9. 2GORDOS

2GORDOS Member

Name:
    ALEJANDRO SALAZAR
    Boat:
    22 CENTURY,REEL NICE
    They were only allowing sport fishing five miles south of punta estrella. No more consag rock or the artificial reefs in front of San Felipe. The ban was to protect the US navy dolphins that were working the area. The ban was to be lifted by the end of November nowbthat the dolphins were gone.

10. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    the Ban that my tocayo Alex is talking about is 100% true, but the only thing I can add is that this was an additional Ban, there is a ban of fishing since 3 years ago for all commercial type of fishing, on mid october the Goverment along the US navy put another ban for any boat commercial or recreative for two months starting oct 19th for a special project for the Vaquita, the US dolphins left San Felipe after a month cuz the project failed, they killed one vaquita and another was about to die for stress (they said), the sportfishing ban which is only in San Felipe area supposedly ends on dec 18th
    but you can always go to Gonzaga Bay at anytime with no problem

11. 2GORDOS

2GORDOS Member

Name:
    ALEJANDRO SALAZAR
    Boat:
    22 CENTURY,REEL NICE
    Alex is right. Except for the Gonzaga bay part. Fishing sucks there along with all the islands around there. STAY AWAY!! Don’t waste your time.

Worthy and Captain Juan SQ like this.
  12. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    again you're right.
    with all the commercial fishing ban in San felipe area, the commercial fishing boats are now fishing on the Islands and surrounding areas, there are lots of guill nets all over and you lose your lures on them everytime, you normally are fishing along with pangas guys with nets that give you a bad look for fishing in "their" new area.

13. greenscales

greenscales Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Pro Angler 14
    Thanks - Trying to leave tomorrow. I guess I'll skip the Northern Cortez - w/swell+winds - probably skip North Pacific as well (want to do Sac Reef/Isla Geromino and have Punta Baja wired - when it isn't blowing) and head down to Loreto area - tempted to try East Cape for the kayak Wahoo and Rooster bite (never caught either) - but that's a lot of drive time solo. May hit up Asuncion/Campo Renes en route. Maybe that Snook going off in Mag Bay- wonder if any in La Bocana. Would love any suggestions on building or waning bites, including Dodos, Huachinango, Groupers, etc. - in other words, I would prefer fish I can't get in So CA unless wide open jumbos - i.e. YT, WSB, Spotties, Calicos -etc.Thanks Again. Also I am willing to leave the yak somewhere safe and pay for fuel or split costs to go offshore - can also bring stuff down for in kind trade if you reach me before I leave. Thanks Again