El Capitan State Beach....anyone been lately?

castone001

Jun 3, 2013
Murrieta
Name
Chris Stone
Boat
Dos Viejos
going up there this week for a couple days at the state campground. Anyone been lately? going with some sandworms and bait rigs and the trusty LC.

Tips tricks and ???

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Not a great perch year up here but you never know. Been some Hali's around. Try the bay first if that's not happening walk east down the beach for a while and there's a small kelp bed tight to the beach that's close enough to cast to if you wade a bit. Look down from the bluff on the 101 towards LA (east) and you can see it, you may miss from the sand. Fishy little spot and the hali's will be up tight to the weeds. The eel grass by the point can be good too. Bring some squid too and walk west of the point for cabazon, that's fairly consistent.
Go up to the private camp ground for the bbq in the evening, some damm fine dining make a good sandwich in the store there too.

Reactions: castone001
Upvote 0

2nakiller

High and Dry
Dec 19, 2005
702 / 805
Name
Rick
Boat
Melissa Marie (Bayrunner Baja 21)
Also some decent Grassbass and Cabazon in the rocky/grassy areas to the west of the point, frozen chovies do the trick.

Reactions: castone001
Upvote 0

FNNBONES

Mar 5, 2009
SFV
Name
Mike
Boat
My Feet
Always done well to the left around the point when it's flooded. Only toss the LC and Drop shot but it can be very good when its flooded. Also down past the retaining wall there is some nice structure that can hold perch when the tide is right.

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Last few nights been alot of squid nests from town to gaviota, Looks like it could be good unless everything is jugged with squid. Fresh dead could be the ticket with a long rod

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I guess some of that stuff at the camp ground burned but what's a little fire? It's still burning up in the hills and probably the heat isn't helping. The last fire in that area started in early July and kept burning until September. But still what's a little fire? It's still fishable

Upvote 0