El Capital 1.5 day 6-7 to 6-9

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by skang357, Jun 9, 2019.

1. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Jesus,talk about flaming a guy for giving a fish report and an opinion on his boat ride.He may have been a little harsh about the Captain but he may also have been a little right.A trip like that should really make you think twice before spending money to go Bluefin fishing.You have to know the odds are against you.

eric perez likes this.
  2. skang357

skang357 Newbie

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    The Kangsta
    Lol i am 43 and have been saltwater fishing since I was 5. Started off on the redondo beach barge. Remember that? Worked my way to half days then 3/4 days. Did my first overnight out of SD at 12.

I average 3 to 5 trips per year all overnights or full days out of SD since the 90s Last few years have been lots of overnight out of LB and San Pedro withe BFT at tanner and clemente and SD

I am not the best angler but I am not a newbie.

3. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    I believe one of the best things you can do to increase your chances is quit going on overnights! IMO overnights suck and I personally will not do them any more. Not enough time to fish. End up sleeping more than fishing, fuck that!

Save your money and do a 1.5 or longer. I think a 2.5 day is ideal. I know, expensive, but you got to pay, well you know...

4. jughead

jughead Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    24 Seaswirl striper
    This is what I want you to do. Stop playing your sad violin, put down your tear soaked tissue and go stand in front of the mirror. Ask yourself this....am I bitter because that senile old skipper who knows nothing about fishing took me to an area that was not fishy, OR is the bitterness because I got skunked. It seems by this post and your post reply on the O95 on this site that you have a negative penchant for older people. Let me give you some advice from an older “dude”, get rid of the negativity. Otherwise you sir one day will be old and bitter.

5. mkfriedrich

mkfriedrich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    michael friedrich
    Boat:
    Liberty
    You’re fishing with the best fleet in San Diego. Bluefin fishing is tough. But the reward is spectacular. Keep at it.

998R and Hardcor like this.
  6. Nannook N

Nannook N Member

Name:
    gary smith
    Boat:
    44 pacifica
    WELL MY 2 CENTS smitty hear i guess i might be a bit swayed as me and jim from tady and alex from rusty hook have charterd the boat el capt many times over the last 45 years and yes we had a few bad trips and a few so so trips but i can tell you we also had quite a few great trips allen is a great skipper with like you said a great reputation and also we have a ton of pict to prove some epic trips with blue fin iam sorry you had a bad trip and the food was not up to your liking this is very upseting to me as i know allen would not be happy that you had a bad trip he trys harder to catch the fish than anyone i know we all strik out now and then its just fishing i wish you could see my pict of the deck loaded with fish from my last trip if you had called him he might give you a pass to redo the trip or a half off ! he is a real skipper qualifed and tryed and tested ! ask around he the real deal iam very sorry you had a poor trip iam sure allen is as sorry as iam ! Gary SMITH 50 YEAR 100 ton operator BARRACUDA North Coast Mc Kinna 80 foot best wishes in future

7. El Chiva

El Chiva Member

Name:
    Nomad
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 Nomad
    Well.....to be honest I have not gotten a bluefin this year, I’ve prob spent 1k on two trips. Both times captains tried really hard.

Fishing is a privilege in my opinion. So many people can’t even afford to do these trips, and the boats def want to get you on fish....it’s their livelihood.

I’ve been on a 16 day red rooster trip that fed us like we were at a nice restaurant every night.....but they had several large freezers and the capacity/crew to provide that level of food/service. But....I def paid for it.

These 1.5/1 day boats don’t have the capacity or staff to prob provide the best of foods, but I’m sure they try to keep people full.

I don’t expect much in terms of food when on these boats, the fishing is my focus.

Then again....I always bring a few packets of turkey bacon when I do these 1.5/1 day boats. The cooks always seem ok with cooking it for me and for any other passengers who want it. I guess I overlook the food because I get my turkey bacon. Lol.

I dunno. My 2 cents

8. skang357

skang357 Newbie

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    The Kangsta
    Its an addiction at this point. I always loved fishing but never did I feel like chasing something like the bft. If i dont catch yt or a yft or wsb I will wait till next month. Not with bft. Waiting for the counts to go up today and tomorrow and gonna ride another 1.5 day on wednesday.

$2000 so far this year chasing bft on 2 trips. Had to get another 2 speed. On terms of money its similar to a drug addiction. But I feel better doing this than drugs alcohol or gambling.

9. El Chiva

El Chiva Member

Name:
    Nomad
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 Nomad

I feel ya, if I totaled all gear and tackle into what I’ve really spent....I’d be divorced right now. I literally have a secret fishing slush fund. I pretty much operate my fishing finances like a Swiss bank account.

But I am sure the cap tried.....bft definitely do not want to die. That’s what makes them taste sooo good.

BobbyAgate likes this.
  10. tailchaser930

tailchaser930 Newbie

Name:
    Tailchaser930
    Boat:
    Any
    Jump on the San Diego or Liberty. Shorter trip but cost is lower. I am willing to bet they'll find the fish and there will opportunity. The rest is on you.

Cbaldwin and broton like this.
  11. broton

broton Member

Name:
    KC
    Boat:
    23 Cobra Performance
    IMO you are doing it wrong. Every trip I go on, I look at it as a day on the water and away from every day stresses. If I catch a fish, hey, that's a bonus.

I get it is a lot of money but if you go out expecting to catch fish, you may be disappointed. If you look at it as a day of water, BSing with a bunch of guys that also like to fish, you will have a good time.

If you want guarantees, go to the local fish market at spend the $400 there, I can tell you for sure you will get some meat.

HighRootz likes this.
  12. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    I would highly recommend a 4 pack charter with Duane or Billy. One can keep riding sport boats hoping for their number to come up or just get it done with one of these guys.

Tunahead likes this.
  13. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    MAJOR="What's your take on this guy's "Bluefin crap shoot Gunny"???"
    "You think it was the boat or the bite? LOL
    GUNNY HIGHWAY="That's Bluefin fishin'. Some days you get the Bear, some days the Bear gets YOU." " Half the women I've gambled on the last 3 years
    stole my pickup at Oceans 11!" LOL "For the record none were even Bluefin" LOL
    GunnyHighway.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Microbait likes this.
  14. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Haven't fished SD in years.
    Getting on a charter in early Aug.
    Out gunned in tackle. Still will be fishing mono.
    Just want to be out there and experience what may arise.
    Oh!
    And I'll be taking my

[​IMG]

15. yakmandan

yakmandan Member

Name:
    DAN
    Boat:
    19ft Bayrunner Baja
    I always wait till after July 4th to even think about going on a sport boat for Bft September has been good for me the last 2 years jackpot both trips. last year only 9 Bft we're caught for 30 I got one my wife got one and my buddy got one. We were on a 3.5 day fished Bluefin for 2 of those days we were fishing harder then everyone and paying attention I fish harder then anyone I know. I find out what's working and try that. If nothing is working I ask the deckhands what I should do and use. If you want Bluefin tuna so bad I'll give you some of mine I need to make room in my freezer
    This year i bought a boat to go after them myself I'm still gonna wait till after July 4th to start looking for them

16. Kerzcal

Kerzcal Newbie

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    34' custom
    Go jump aboard the Outer Limits and see how that works out.

17. El Chiva

El Chiva Member

Name:
    Nomad
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 Nomad
    Man....you got some patience, I wish I had patience to standby and wait to look for them! Bft, really are an annoying fish....they know they’re the hottest girl at the bar. Damn it

18. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    The last few years of BFT hunting, I’ve been on trips where the Captain rolled the dice and crapped out. Been on trips where it paid off, but I couldn’t managed to pull my head outta my ass. And last year, after no BFT for the season, I stayed on the rail 22 hours straight (the exception being to grab a drink or take a whiz) before I finally John Wayne’d a 100lbr on a flat fall.

CHASING BFT ABSOLUTELY SUCKS UNTIL IT DOESN'T.

19. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    If you think of it like hunting, and not as fishing it’s better to accept the misses as part of the adventure rather than a complete failure. Enjoy the process, the reward is the hunt, not the meat.

jughead likes this.
  20. Smiler1958

Smiler1958 Newbie

Name:
    Marshall Bubel
    Boat:
    Westerly
    Alan is a very, and I mean very, talented fisherman. He missed that day. It happens to everyone

jughead likes this.