Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Considering an Edgewater 245 center console for offshore use. Quality brand, all specifications look solid, fuel efficient, trailerable under California laws, reviews are excellent, feedback from sites such as thehulltruth.com are very positive, etc. Plus there's a local dealer so should be easier to get support in case there's issues.

Only problem is, all the reviews, feedback, etc. are for the East coast, and I have no experience with how East coast boats, especially their center consoles, do out West. Sure, most of our popular boats are also East coast boats, but they're old, proven products, while I've not seen many Edgewater around, especially not the smaller ones. I'm familiar with heavy boats like Parkers and Skipjacks, and have heard that Edgewater is similar to Grady White, but the only Grady White I've seen out West are the heavier Marlins and the Sail Fish, so again, not a direct comparison available.

So I'm trying to gather as much second hand information as I can. If there are any Edgewater owners out here, especially of the lighter Edgewater boats weighing less than 5,000 pounds, I'd love to hear your thoughts about how well your boat does in California waters. My experience tells me the ride should be solid, but I'm more worried about stability at drift, since our ground swells are frequently larger than those on the East coast, as well as other unforeseen performance issues due to differences in offshore conditions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I see a twin engine 24-26ft Edgewater cc out there all the time and he is always going 30-40 through even decently snotty conditions. Seeing him at drift, I didn't notice any excessive rocking or anything unusual, looks like a solid boat.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Azarkon
Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Thanks for the information. I'm also contacting the dealer about it but you know, sales people can't always be relied upon.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
I had a 265 Edgewater CC back in 2002-2004. I put tons of hours and miles on mine, more so than the R&D team did prior to introduction. Solid boat, great company, excellent dealership experience with John Siple here in Newport Beach. I 'helped' in the redesign process of the 26.

Some models are wetter than others, alot has to do with the reverse chine design and volume of spray coming off the hull.

Hulls are more fuel efficient when motors are mounted slightly higher than normal.

The only negative I have heard lately is lifespan on the aluminum tanks is on the 'shorter end' and the deck needs to be cut to replace. John should be able to elaborate more on that.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Get all the four stroke horsepower you can afford and enjoy it. I sure did. Then I sold mine for a 35 Cabo.

Upvote 0

Phat Matt

Matt
Jun 30, 2003
San Clemente
Name
PhAT Matt
Boat
2320 Parker - MISS EMMA
I have 225 CC now. I have had for 7 seasons. Great boat..very deep inside and very ocean worthy. Feels a lot bigger than other 22's on he market. Quality finished through out. Handles any kind of weather so cal can kick out. Pretty dry ride for a center counsel. PM me if you want more info. Im in Dana Pt if you want to check it out. I am primarily a Halibut guy so the drift is very important to me. The boat drifts very well and is mucho stable.

Matt

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    If I could afford the price they charge for similarly sized boats, I would have seriously considered an Edgewater. Their 188 CC model looks formidable so I have no doubts that the 245 is more than enough for our waters.

Have you seen those guys on 13' boats out on the water? Yeah, you'll be just fine methinks.

Upvote 0