Economical fishing?

Kurt Songco

Aug 12, 2019
San Diego
Name
Kurt
Boat
none
Hello, I just got started in offshore fishing this year and was wondering if there is a more economical way to get out there? I've been on a handful of half and full day boats, but the $$$ adds up lol. I'm not fortunate enough to own or have any buddies who own boats so I'm looking for options. I understand now that this is not a cheap hobby, but I'm hooked and all I think about is getting out there hahah. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Koyote

openclass

Slam
May 28, 2009
Fairfield/Bodega Bay
Name
Rick
Boat
Parker 2820 & 26' Farallon Whaleback
You summed it up buddy. Off shore fishing is not cheap no matter how you cut it. Some people fish a few times a year and get their fill, others go through lot of money. The most economical way is to hook up with someone that has a boat.....read most economical.
Good luck

Nick

215cc Triumph
Aug 4, 2004
san diego
www.sandiegoanglers.com
Name
Nick
Boat
bad habit
Join a fishing club and always offer to clean the boat

Reactions: Kurt Songco

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
You also need to be able to pay for fuel! As above, fishing is not cheap, especially for the boat owners. Paying, or at lease chipping in for fuel, may sound pricey, but being on someone's boat that's not a charter, is highly sought after. Cleaning the boat- and their personal gear- shows respect and builds trust. Have your own water and snacks, and offer them up out on the water. every piece of trash, every mark on the boat, clean it up right then.

Oh, and one final thing: do not get sick! Prep any way you have to, but it will turn off your host bigtime.

Reactions: Koyote and heman

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Economical fishing? I’ve been trying to achieve this for years, with absolutely zero success. In fact, the more I tried to economize, the more expensive it became.
Didn’t take me long to say”screw it, let’er buck”.
Twenty+ years later, I own at least $20,000 worth of rods and reels(minimum), who knows how many thousands worth of tackle and 3 boats.
Fuel burn last year was north of 2000 gallons.
Good luck!!:-)

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Getting to like fishing is very much like getting to like snow skiing. Both activities are fun, and both cost pretty good money to do right.

Avoid any boat that does "Groupon" or other discount trips. You will be overrun by people who have no skills and no real desire to improve. If you can take a day in the middle of the week, often you can find a trip that offers good value in the 3/4-day trip. And perhaps nobody has told you, but just like saving to go out to a nice dinner involves more than the price of the meal, it is appropriate to tip your server, a fishing trip involves more than just the price of the ticket to board.

You have some excellent boats near you, in San Diego and Mission Bay. Two or three very good days a year is a fine way to start.

Ben Green

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 15, 2017
Malibu
Name
Ben
Boat
Fish
Can also just face the fact that this is an expensive hobby and try to make more money, not being flippant, just real....

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
Its as much a disease as it is a hobby for many here.
I started on cattle boats, then took a ride on a private skiff and knew I had to get a boat.
Started with an old skiff, moved to another older fixer and fished it / fixed it for 19 years , and kept moving up.
You can get a good deal on something if you can work on stuff yourself.
No matter how you slice it , it gets expensive .
Is it worth it ? Hell yes .
I always thought the used jet ski thing looked economical .

watersdeep

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
To help me get my fix I will fish my trout gear with 2# test in the surf. Not quite the same But it helps pass the time. And it fairly inexpensive.

Reactions: esgeo

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
The easy way is to get involved with a fishing club. I fish once a month on an overnight from Oxnard. The new hustler. It cost 150 dollars we fish the channel island for every thing from sand dabs to white sea bass. It is a great group of guys each trip. if you look at the local san diego boat at 200 for the day trip the drive to ventura is worth it i usually get 20 fish, 10 reds, 2 lings and the rest sheepshead, whitefish give it a try

Reactions: marlyn

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
More of an addiction than a disease IMO :D

While for many (myself included) owning a boat is the best way to go but it is not cheap by any means. To me when I look at the satisfaction I get out of it the cost is more than worth it.

A good compromise is making friends with boat owners. There is some exchange here on BD both owners and people that would like to fish with them Search the forums here for proper way to be boat ho. There have been a number of very good threads on doing it right here on BD.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Its as much a disease as it is a hobby for many here.
I started on cattle boats, then took a ride on a private skiff and knew I had to get a boat.
Started with an old skiff, moved to another older fixer and fished it / fixed it for 19 years , and kept moving up.
You can get a good deal on something if you can work on stuff yourself.
No matter how you slice it , it gets expensive .
Is it worth it ? Hell yes .
I always thought the used jet ski thing looked economical .
^^^ What he said.
Learn the skills and work on your own stuff. It’s the best way I know to make a dollar go further.
These days I can afford to have my boats worked on by others but I still do all my own work. The reason is that I know EXACTLY what’s been done and how. The savings are a bonus.
Used properly tuned jet skis are the most economical way to truly offshore fish on a budget. They can go nearly anywhere. Surprisingly effective at catching fish and very tolerant of mistakes(self righting). Lots of good info out there on how to set these up and many of the skills you’ll learn on these will transfer directly over to running your own boat someday

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
JonS and Pacific Jigger are both right. I grew up with boats in the family, my grandfather's 26 foot diesel cruiser and catching mackerel while strapped to the rail by my life jacket strap is my first real memory in life at four years old. I spent a lot of days out along the Laguna Beach to Long Beach offshore waters in my dad's 18 foot skiff, mostly just me and a brother after I got my driver's license at 16.

After moving out, I was never able to afford a boat of my own, although it remained the dream. After getting married at 24 I would take my wife with me to all of the LA to SD boat shows and try desperately to figure out how we could add a boat to our budget. After five years of this futility she sat with me and said, "Listen, let's just figure out with real accuracy just how much it will cost us AFTER we somehow get your boat that you are dreaming about. Let's imagine that you win one in a raffle or something, what will it cost us to have it in our lives?"

So after putting everything down that I knew would be involved in storing and towing and insuring and maintaining and so forth, it came to over two thousand dollars a year. And that was before actual running costs. So she smiled and said, "Tell you what. How about if we find a couple of hundred dollars each month that you can set aside as your fishing fund. Save for future trips, go local any time you want to, whatever. And that will get us used to budgeting for the boat that you will inherit or win or something, and you won't drive yourself crazy."

We will be married 49 years in a couple of weeks. I never have bought my own boat, but I've gotten to fish a lot of times in a lot of places, and one of the smartest things I've ever done was listen to her suggestion.

JonS

Jun 7, 2016
Sf bay
Name
Jon
Boat
None
JonS and Pacific Jigger are both right. I grew up with boats in the family, my grandfather's 26 foot diesel cruiser and catching mackerel while strapped to the rail by my life jacket strap is my first real memory in life at four years old. I spent a lot of days out along the Laguna Beach to Long Beach offshore waters in my dad's 18 foot skiff, mostly just me and a brother after I got my driver's license at 16.

After moving out, I was never able to afford a boat of my own, although it remained the dream. After getting married at 24 I would take my wife with me to all of the LA to SD boat shows and try desperately to figure out how we could add a boat to our budget. After five years of this futility she sat with me and said, "Listen, let's just figure out with real accuracy just how much it will cost us AFTER we somehow get your boat that you are dreaming about. Let's imagine that you win one in a raffle or something, what will it cost us to have it in our lives?"

So after putting everything down that I knew would be involved in storing and towing and insuring and maintaining and so forth, it came to over two thousand dollars a year. And that was before actual running costs. So she smiled and said, "Tell you what. How about if we find a couple of hundred dollars each month that you can set aside as your fishing fund. Save for future trips, go local any time you want to, whatever. And that will get us used to budgeting for the boat that you will inherit or win or something, and you won't drive yourself crazy."

We will be married 49 years in a couple of weeks. I never have bought my own boat, but I've gotten to fish a lot of times in a lot of places, and one of the smartest things I've ever done was listen to her suggestion.
That makes total sense...

I live in NorCal and have a boat. It nice to be able to go when I want and where I want. But as far as economical, the running cost is overall way more then party boat fishing. The money I spend purchasing the boat and maintaining it could easily afford me enough trips on party boats to keep me entertained. I still ride party boats for that reason sometimes it’s just cheaper and more enjoyable to let someone else run the boat and you focus on fishing. You can also learn a lot especially since your new to this style of fishing.

Reactions: surfgoose

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
19 years in and we have separate bank accounts. No other way to stay together without them in this hobby.
retired at 50, wife says NO bank account for me , only access to her paypal account , lol. oh yeah , i had to sell 2 of the 3 boats i had. everything runs smooth as silk.