Eclipse Sept. 21 1Day

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by RBeach, Sep 22, 2015.

1. RBeach

RBeach Newbie

Name:
    Roger Beach
    Boat:
    Pescador
    Left the dock Monday with some nice macs and some fresh sardines (they were a tad tired from have just made it to the receiver) nothing new there. Went due west to a spot Adam and crew had been quietly working for several days for some quality YFT 50lbs + . Alas we got tracked down on this trip so it may not last... Wes sat at the bait dock and Adam gave us the game plan high causality rate from the previous trip made him want to start with nothing less than fresh 50lb and 50lb fluro and 2/0-3/0 circle hooks. Along with a 4:30am wake up call as the predawn bite and been when the even larger models came out to play. As we tacked out after clearing the harbor the sea state started to climb but we plowed on WSW after trying to lull some of the other boats by leaving late then running north for awhile. The crew was in good spirits and they even brought some extras to assist during the more protracted fights. A good group of fisherman and everyone was pretty stoked to find it was not going to be a session of only robbing the nursery of baby YFT's. Arriving at the bank only 2 large PB's to be seen. first few drifts went by not a lot of action on the sonar. They prepped and launched the balloon rig during the lull. I got the number 1 name out of the hat almost zero wind not a lot of dipping for the mac who forgot to pack a snorkel down tube for his flight and no one showed him the trick of breathing air so his return to the boat yielded a mac past the point of recovery he was a little grey around the gills. Relocated nearer the high spot this time the meter began to show a build up and finally someone got hooked up. then a couple more tuna climbed on to anglers rigs. This was the pattern for the day bulk of the fish down and away a few would come up and play. Soon in the distance the Pacific Star and the Pride were trying their luck which told Adam the word was now out he had been found. A quick word on the Pride that did not look like fun at all with the pitching and rolling from our vantage point it was as if the bow was at 10 and the stern at 2 when the swell passed under them. The wind which started so light built as the day progressed by 10:30am. It was getting to where you thought Windy and her sister Gale had moved in next door I finally got one to get on my rig and the fight was on and on and.... kept cranking down on the star drag as the battle waged to a stand still after several points. I kept good pressure on him used the pitching to gain line steady and stayed tight when he'd run at the boat the turn his head and run back out to the spectra backing.At the 1hr mark some of my health issues I have been trying to over come began to wear me down along with some new gear I had brought to help me which I had checked on 3 of the 4 rigs I brought with no problems however the one set up I did not check was the one I was using doh! my thigh plate and harness did not fit the rod butt. Nothing says fun like yanking and pulling hard for that long when you have a hernia. So I had to take a break and handed the rig off to a deck hand who battled for a while then I stepped in again for round 2 then had to hand off to the same deck hand again wore that one out deckkie 2 finished the job. I taped him at 69lbs so not huge a very nice fish. I will continue improve my health. It was a double hernia high and low now only high so I have been getting better. By this time the bite had really fallen off and we moved inside about 8 miles and all the weather went away so the rest of the trip was pretty calm. Over all kinda slow however everyone had chances at nice fish. The troll gear got stopped a few time and skippy jrs some tiny YFT's (we drove away from them) and the lone Dorado 15-18lb not sure where Tonto was. Amy made some nice meals and for me the highlight was spending time with my son back on the water took him on his first tuna trip when he was 13 and this year he turned 30 last year was the first time we did not go with my health getting in the way. I will try to post some pics we'll see how that works. IMG_20150921_153646 (337 x 600).jpg IMG_20150921_181512_22CS (337 x 600).jpg IMG_20150921_171307_1CS (337 x 600).jpg IMG_20150921_190455 (600 x 281).jpg

2. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    Great report were you in US waters or MX?

3. RBeach

RBeach Newbie

Name:
    Roger Beach
    Boat:
    Pescador
    US waters

4. kdrouet

kdrouet Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    M40 Knight and Carver
    I'm assuming near Catalina?

5. Erawk

Erawk Get bent!

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    21' Sea Ray
    Congrats on the quality time and NICE yft. Whereabouts were you guys?

6. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    I'm wearing my pink socks next time for good luck! Congrats!

7. Ben yarbrough

Ben yarbrough Fishing 5-O

Name:
    Salty sue
    Boat:
    24 skipjack fb
    Where's that at man??? Pretty please??

8. Sealund

Sealund Newbie

Name:
    Chris Lund
    Boat:
    Someday

9. Sealund

Sealund Newbie

Name:
    Chris Lund
    Boat:
    Someday
    Thanks for the report and pics........paragraphs plzzzzzzzz!!

10. Too Creechin

Too Creechin Newbie

Name:
    Creechin
    Boat:
    Too Creechin
    Great report, Glad to see your back enjoying the time on the water with your son. I am posting a pic of my son and I when he was 13. All six feet of him at 13..... We still talk about that trip in 2014 ... Forever.

Great day!!! Take your kids fishing.

Blake Fishing Dorado.jpg

11. Too Creechin

Too Creechin Newbie

Name:
    Creechin
    Boat:
    Too Creechin
    Kids and first timers are good luck too.... Just look at Chris ... he brought the beginners luck and the luck of the Irish on to my boat recently.

12. Too Creechin

Too Creechin Newbie

Name:
    Creechin
    Boat:
    Too Creechin
    Tuna Chris fat tuna (2).jpg Kids and first timers are good luck too.... Just look at Chris ... he brought the beginners luck and the luck of the Irish on to my boat recently..... Ya, I know I'm Living in the past already.

13. Capitola2014

Capitola2014 Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    17.5 Edgewater
    Ooookkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!