Eclipse 1.5 day Wed 8/17/2016

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Iceberg, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Iceberg

Iceberg Jeff

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    My roommies twin-V catamaran
    Short story: Went southwest, morning plunker bite on slightly larger than football YFT. 7pm bite on bigger grade, ~20-25lb. Total of 48 yft for 36 passengers.

Longer story:
    Hop on the eclipse around 9:15ish Tuesday night. Recognize a few people, lots of custom rigs with a few rentals. The plan is to hit the spot from the day before where they hit the tuna on an overnight. It's not too far away so left the harbor around 1ish. Good idea to save the bait because it was a little rough out there.

Got up around 6am, popcorn all over the water (Though it doesn't show in the pictures) Did some stretching while listening to Enya on the bow during the sunrise. That's right, I said Enya.
    [​IMG]

It's not my place to tell you where we were, just Southwest will suffice. Quickly start seeing schools boil and the first tuna hit the deck around 8am. I hooked up and my seaguar knot broke at the 30lb to 25 flouro connection. Very frustrating way to start out. We put on 8 at the first stop and things are looking good. We stopped on school after school after school of breaking fish and get one or two on each stop. These tuna were VERY boat shy. Here's a short video taken from the bow. (No tuna caught on this school, that's how bad they didn't want our offerings)

We played this game all afternoon, finding different schools after baiting the same one for a few tries. Schools were everywhere! I hooked up with a small tuna and got my skunk off. At one point though I could visually see 7 seiner boats towing tuna pens. We were surrounded. SMH. People have to earn a living but made me depressed.

Everyone just knew the evening bite was just around the corner and hoped it was going to happen. Around 7pm we pull up to the 30th school of fish and the captain says "Let them have it!" I immediately hook up as well as another passenger. It's just us two for a little bit and takes me a bit to get it in. Stuck it and got a 24lber on board. After that it's steady 2, 3, 4 hook-ups going at once. You know the drill, "Boil!" "Fresh one!" Where you can't retie your knots quick enough. BUT, the theme of the trip all day was "Who's green spectra is this?" The same dude was tangling everyone up the whole trip and pissing some people off. Everyone was a noob once but he didn't follow directions well. Live and learn.

The bite turned off after the sun set around 8:20ish. I believe we got around 26 on that stop for a total of 48 for the day. There was one very fishy dude who we killing it in the morning on 15lb test. He upped it to 25lb on the night bite with a longer rod to cast out past everyone else's bait and hooked up non-stop. He went 9 for 10! Freaking awesome, he knew what he was doing.

Lively sardines were the key. One was caught on a popper, I think one or two on snipers and one or two on the flat fall.

The boat/crew: Right when I boarded the crew went out of the way to introduce themselves and to get our names, shake hands, ask about our rigs, tie knots...etc. They weren't there just to get a paycheck, it was grade A customer service. I've been on a LOT of 1.5 day boats where the deck hands and passengers kept to themselves for the most part. Not here. Although it seems insignificant, it made a big impact for me at least. My bunk was in the corner and had a lot of room. Captain laid down the game plan, said we can tour the pilot house, use their binoculars if we wanted... Very cool. I had a burger for lunch and I know everyone raves about breakfast/lunch/dinner on these boats because we're all starving, but this was another level. He's not a cook but a chef. Arugula, huge paddy formed by hand, all the fixings, special sauce... amazing. Tri tip dinner looked amazing but I didn't grab any. The crew did an awesome job. I ended up winning the jackpot, at $10/head it was probably fairly big. I paid my $30 galley fee, kept $20 for gas and gave the rest to the crew. Outstanding operation.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    Awesome report, great pics. Haven't been able to get out lately and this is the good shit for sure.

3. Tar Pit

Tar Pit Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat:
    None.
    Thanks for the report.

4. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice report and congrats on the nice catch!

Is Enya the skipper? What was she saying to you?

5. Iceberg

Iceberg Jeff

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    My roommies twin-V catamaran
    Enya is a singer, the "Mellow moods" stuff. Don't get me wrong, it was Metal the rest of the day, but alone on the bow during the sunrise, Enya all the way.

6. tresbien

tresbien No.... But Willing To Learn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
    nice work!! thanks for the info about the boat and crew

7. Yakhunter

Yakhunter Newbie

Name:
    B-
    Boat:
    Looking
    Nice looking dinner!

8. King Halibut

King Halibut BigBoy

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    none
    It's too bad all the boats are sucking up these small Yellowfin, I've caught bigger Bonito.

9. rick Jackson

rick Jackson "Carpe diem"

Name:
    Fresh1
    Boat:
    SeaQuest
    WTG! Thanks for the pic's, and the detailed report after
    the opening paragraph.:appl:

10. Dudley613

Dudley613 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    Thanks for the great report! I've wanted to ride this boat for a while now... Good on ya for handing out the JP...

11. Steve Francis

Steve Francis Member

Name:
    StephenKatSea
    Boat:
    .--.
    A nice tip means a lot to the crew, particularly towards the end of their season. Sounds like they did a great job for you and you did right by them.

rick Jackson likes this.
  12. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Great report and NICE FISH Jeff! Solid work! LOL

13. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Ive heard a lot of great reports about this outfit, thanks for sharing!

14. C-4 Fishing

C-4 Fishing Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
    The Eclipse is a great boat run by real pros. Can't say anything bad about the operation. I worked with Mark, Chris and the boys while they spent a short stint at Daveys Locker a number of years ago.

Great report and good on ya for the JP

15. pineapplexpress

pineapplexpress "Hook em Dano"

Name:
    Sugi
    Boat:
    still dreaming
    awesome read... thanks for boat info... we will be riding with them in a week.
    good to know you had a good experience. always interested in feedback on the boat were about to fish...

16. Tuna Slammer

Tuna Slammer .

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    26' welcraft
    would of been nice to know where you started fishing at, some of us guys have are own boat and can use a little help on some intel

17. tommyc

tommyc Hacker

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Beatem N' Eatem
    I know what you mean Dave, but the Mexican fleet will only make them into tuna chow anyway so us sporties might as well have put some on the deck also. In the 1980s, (post el nino), the sport fleet was putting up daily counts of 2,000 or more of these tiny yellowfin and that is certainly not happening this year.....

Jeff, thanks for the great report.

18. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    That's a decent day, congrats!

19. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy