Eclipse 1.5 Day – June 21, 2014

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by The Sea Hag, Jun 24, 2014.

1. The Sea Hag

The Sea Hag Cookie Purveyor

Name:
    Pam
    Boat:
    Can I Fish on Yours...?
    I arrived at Seaforth with my carpool buddy Danny Lynch, and parked after one of the worst drives I think I’ve ever had down to San Diego! Four hours in the car… Really?
    Sharla was set up at a table in front of the Seaforth tackle store checking everyone in, including sack number and bunk assignments. After we got that taken care of, we got some tacos at the little restaurant there at the landing. Their grilled mahi tacos are to DIE for!

We got our gear out and settled in to wait to board, for our 7:00 departure. When we got on board, the boat was already loaded with bait, lots of anchovies, and a bit of sardine and mackerel to go with it.

Bait.jpg

Our captains would be Adam and Steve. We also had Blake, Ryan (“Chewey”) and Damarius on deck, and Kairi in the galley.

CrewBlk.jpg
    CrewEem.jpg CrewKairi.jpg

After the safety speech and gear recommendations, we were off… Kairi put out an awesome tray of exotic cheeses (brie, blueberry goat cheese, and herbed cheese) and meats (salami and prosciutto) with crackers. Chatted till dark, then off to my bunk (and by the way, on the Eclipse the bunks are ALL Huge!).

We started trolling at sunrise, hour long stretches per troll team.

1Troll.jpg

Breakfast was up right about the time I finished my troll… paper thin omelets filled with tomatoes and spinach over home fried potatoes with thick bacon slices…. So good.

F1 Br.jpg

We found massive schools of tuna that wouldn’t bite, a kelp with a couple of larger yellowtail, probably 30 pound fish. A couple more on other spots that took a bait. It was a long morning.
    Kairi put out a fruit tray mid-morning, lunch cooking drove us all to drool. Home made lasagna that came out of the oven just as my next troll rotation was called! It was SO good!

F2 MSn.jpg
    Pods of dolphins did not give way to tuna, scores of tuna jumping out of the water vanished when we got too close. Our frustration with seeing the fish leaping out of the water in the distance only to have them disappear as we got close could not have matched what the captain felt, chasing these jumpers half a dozen times…

ZCatch0.jpg

Late afternoon found us on a kelp that was willing to bite. The yellowtail were 10-12 pounds, and we coaxed out 15 or so on one drift, and a trip back over it produced a couple more.

F3 AfSn.jpg

More dolphin, more jumping tuna. Not a single tuna bit, none of them found their way onto our deck. We drifted right through one school still jumping around us. Anchovy, sardine, mackerel, all sorts of artificial baits were dragged through it… Nothing.

There were a few red crabs in with the bait...

Crab1.jpg

Some people will try to eat anything...

Crab2.jpg

The sun set and we were headed home. Kairi served a wonderful dinner of pork chops over garlic mashed potatoes, with a bit of sautéed greens on top and paired with two wonderful sauces. Cheesecake with his own cooked down strawberry sauce topped off a wonderful dinner.

F4D.jpg

F5Des.jpg

Pass.jpg

There is a numbered cup provided, skid proof mugs, for each passenger... cuts down on the trash... all meals were served on glass plates (except breakfast before we got off the boat... blueberry pancakes...!)

We ended up with 26 yellowtail… 5 of them in the 25-30 pound class the rest were the smaller ones from our kelp drift.

ZCatch3.jpg ZCatch4.jpg
    There’s a lot of bait out there right now, keeping the tuna from showing any interest in what we offered up for them. Water where we were was very clean, and running 68-69 degrees. There’s massive quantities of tuna out there! Most of what we were seeing looked to be somewhere in the 15 pound class or so. When these fish start to bite there’ll be a lot of them to go around! I’m glad I snagged a spot on the July 4th weekend trip on this boat!! Its full now, and hopefully all these fish will be ready to play!

Check out the Eclipse's schedule here,
    http://eclipse-sportfishing.com/online-booking/
    Or call Sharla at 619-995-6880 for reservations...

ZCatch1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    maxsdad, Ctony.clark, Danny and 3 others like this.
  2. Danny

Danny Fish Doper

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    SS FAT GUY
    Incredible trip!!! Long Range style comfort and treatment on a 1.5 trip.
    We will back for sure!!! Wait we are already booked for the 4th of July 2.5!!
    I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharla and The Sea Hag like this.
  3. CalicoCody

CalicoCody Serial Fish Killer

Name:
    Cody
    Boat:
    21' Invader "Flounder Pounder"
    Grilled pelagic crabs :rofl:... too funny. Has anyone ever tried to pin one of those on and fish it as a last ditch attempt to get bit?

Thanks for the report, see you on the fourth of July trip.

Cody

The Sea Hag likes this.
  4. The Sea Hag

Name:
    Pam
    Boat:
    Can I Fish on Yours...?
    I've seen people try to fish with them before, and without any success.... I didn't hear if they were any good to eat, either....?

Looking forward to the July 4th trip!! We saw acres of fish... I hope they're in a biting mood by then!! See you then!!

5. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    Huge bunks?

It's been a few years since I've been on that boat and everything was outstanding but the bunks.......narrow with a curtain divider between middle bunks. One guy saw the size of the bunks and he ran off the boat weirdest thing I ever saw.

Great report & good luck on the 4th!

6. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    sounds like a really nice trip

The Sea Hag likes this.
  7. Unassailable

Unassailable Professional Amateur

Name:
    John B
    Boat:
    BW
    What, no crawdad boil? I'd like a boat that cooked that. Woe, full bar too.

8. Bendo28

Bendo28 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    NA
    Great report, I'm going on their 2.5 day on July 20th, can't wait.

9. HBTRANSPLANT

HBTRANSPLANT fISH fINDER

Name:
    craig
    Boat:
    Many, but are none are mine
    Heading out with The E this Friday, hoping the moon phase works in our favor. Either way will be epic !!

Starboard side middle bunk is the hot tip. It has an outlet wired up for cell phone, E-cig whatever..

Well here's hoping the weather holds out , CHEERS !!

10. peteking

peteking Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana

Name:
    Pete King
    Boat:
    Ohana
    That's what I call a report!!!

Good luck on your upcoming trip!

11. MDC

MDC Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    Good luck and thanks for the tip.

The Sea Hag likes this.
  12. kevfin

kevfin Newbie

Name:
    Kevin Le
    Boat:
    None
    Hey Danny,

I saw you on the Gail Force a few weeks ago... I was the guy that threw up a bunch of times. I gotta ask... how many fishing trips do you go in a month? Thats a great life style!

The Sea Hag likes this.
  13. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    thanks for the report and that food looked great

14. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Absolutely a great report, thank you for taking the time to tap it out.

15. The Sea Hag

Name:
    Pam
    Boat:
    Can I Fish on Yours...?
    Try Meclizine... it's the active ingredient in one of Rite-Aid's store brand motion sickness remedies, as well as several others. It causes less drowsiness and other nasty side affects than most. Take one at night, starting 24 hours or so BEFORE your trip leaves. Then if you've got it bad, take one every night. I fed them to my daughter when we've gone on cruises... works like a charm! She got sick on the first one we went on, and you could barely feel the boat moving. She had No problems at all on the other two cruises.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meclizine

I've been fishing nine times so far this season (plus a few lobster trips).... Danny's gone on six of those. Yup, life is good! :D

The food is incredible...!! I gained two pounds! I'm gonna have to watch it a little closer on the 2.5 day next weekend... !!!

Sharla and Danny like this.
  16. kevfin

kevfin Newbie

Name:
    Kevin Le
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks for the advice. I picked up some at Costco.

It's good to see that fish are being caught the last few days! Good luck to everyone this season.

The Sea Hag likes this.
  17. vikebrian84

vikebrian84 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    nope
    I use Meclizine as well, I never get a hint of sickness when on it and without it im over the rail the entire time. I always take it the night before and the morning of, I cant stress taking it the night before more, its very important. No side effects what so ever. You can buy a bottle of it at costco for like 8 dollars and it comes with a ton of pills.

The Sea Hag and Paul Gagnon like this.
  18. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    To prevent seasickness just move with the boat......it's like dancing with the boat.......when your all ridged your done for.......and don't drink too much!

The Sea Hag likes this.
  19. Danny

Danny Fish Doper

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    SS FAT GUY
    2 to 3 on average. Need to stay in touch with my contacts and what is happening on the water. It's a rough life but somebody has to do it ;)

The Sea Hag likes this.
  20. vinhtran

vinhtran Member

Name:
    Vinh
    Boat:
    none
    I'll be on the trip on Friday as well. Outer bunks are the money spots on the eclipse. The center ones are normal narrow with the border in between with your neighbor on the other side. Food is really good for the shorter range boats, & Kairi is a great time! Glad to see the fishing picking up a llittle more.

HBTRANSPLANT, Sharla and The Sea Hag like this.