I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 3, 2007
Irvine
Name
Jeremy
Boat
n/a
Hey all

Anyone have experience with or try using these no-name generic ringed circle hooks off ebay?

I saw some old posts where I think guys have used these but wasn't sure since the links were broken. Just curious if anyone has recently tried these and how they worked out for you.

jplee3

May 3, 2007
Irvine
Name
Jeremy
Boat
n/a
Hooks are cheap buy good ones.
What's considered a "cheap" price?
Ringed circle hooks are more expensive aren't they? Brand name ones end up coming out near a buck a piece for the smaller packs (and obviously that decreases with pro-packs but still like what 75 cents each? I guess that's worth it if you're planning to split with friends or fish these hooks a ton).

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I don't scrimp on hooks . If you do let us know how that works out for you .

Reactions: Tom123

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
What's considered a "cheap" price?
Ringed circle hooks are more expensive aren't they? Brand name ones end up coming out near a buck a piece for the smaller packs (and obviously that decreases with pro-packs but still like what 75 cents each? I guess that's worth it if you're planning to split with friends or fish these hooks a ton).
When the trip and gear costs hundreds-thousands, a buck a piece is nothing. Also it’s not like your hooking up with every casts. When you only get one bite all day, I’d want the best tackle.

jplee3

May 3, 2007
Irvine
Name
Jeremy
Boat
n/a
When the trip and gear costs hundreds-thousands, a buck a piece is nothing. Also it’s not like your hooking up with every casts. When you only get one bite all day, I’d want the best tackle.

Makes sense. Any suggestions on brands? I've only used Owner Ringed Circle hooks. I've used the Mustad Demon Circle hooks (regular non-ringed) and had really good experiences with those but that was a pack from years ago when I went for Albacore - really good quality hooks.

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
www.ebay.com
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
I used the 2/0 for yellowtail and they worked fine.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I usually pick up the demon hooks at the fred hall show (turners) it's usually buy 2 pro paks get one free . This brings the price down quite a bit .

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
Also visit your next local tackle swap meet, one vender usually has pro packs for a great price.

Also take care of your hooks, after each trip I look for nicks, bends. Anything questionable gets tossed over the rail, or designated for rockfish. the rest get rinsed, dried and back in the pack.

I usually pick up the demon hooks at the fred hall show (turners) it's usually buy 2 pro paks get one free . This brings the price down quite a bit .

Mystic Knight

Apr 17, 2015
Name
Daniel
Boat
None at Present
I have bought from this seller, Knife jigs, flat falls, and hooks. Never had a problem or failure. My son got his personal best Yellowtail using one of their knife jigs on a party boat at Catalina.
In the smaller size circle hooks, the ring is a little large but the hook bites and holds. But I haven't caught anything over 30lbs, so I can't say they have truly been put to the test. Hope this helps.
MK

jplee3

May 3, 2007
Irvine
Name
Jeremy
Boat
n/a

What's a good price per hook for the Demons in your estimation? closer to 50 cents a piece?

jplee3

May 3, 2007
Irvine
Name
Jeremy
Boat
n/a
Also visit your next local tackle swap meet, one vender usually has pro packs for a great price.

Also take care of your hooks, after each trip I look for nicks, bends. Anything questionable gets tossed over the rail, or designated for rockfish. the rest get rinsed, dried and back in the pack.

Good tip - I need to rinse my hooks and dry them off after use. It's easy to disregard all that. I tend to keep my hooks in tackle boxes but I should probably start separating out new and used. If I take from a "new" compartment, I should probably store it in a separate smaller tackle box or bag during the trip and not toss it back into the box with the rest of the new hooks - I've done that and it looks to rust and corrosion spreading to everything else.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
What's a good price per hook for the Demons in your estimation? closer to 50 cents a piece?
It varies . Also if I catch a decent fish on one that hook is retired . You need to retie any way might as well start fresh .In the big scheme of things the hooks aren't that pricey .

Reactions: kevina

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
Good tip - I need to rinse my hooks and dry them off after use. It's easy to disregard all that. I tend to keep my hooks in tackle boxes but I should probably start separating out new and used. If I take from a "new" compartment, I should probably store it in a separate smaller tackle box or bag during the trip and not toss it back into the box with the rest of the new hooks - I've done that and it looks to rust and corrosion spreading to everything else.

Yes, I bring a small empty tackle tray just for used hooks, jigs, and terminal tackle.

scott v

Sep 3, 2011
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Scott
Boat
Keep wishing
Those hooks are perfectly fine. People commenting have never likely seen them. I have fished those for years and never had one break. The 4x is heavy duty, I usually fish the 2x size 1 is my favorite.

I have numerous fish in the 60-90 lb range with them. This fish went 132 on a size 1 with 50lb Floro drag at 16 lbs. I pulled hard and had it to the boat in about 40 minutes.

28E166DE-8537-4F1B-A51A-ECA4034DB512.jpeg

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
If your local tackle shop doesn't have ringed circle hooks, Amazon sells them. I get the Owner packs.

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Buy Owner hyper wire split rings and make your own ringed hooks out of any hook you like.

jplee3

May 3, 2007
Irvine
Name
Jeremy
Boat
n/a
Buy Owner hyper wire split rings and make your own ringed hooks out of any hook you like.
The idea crossed my mind of using split rings - doesn't split rings impede the movement a bit more compared to the welded on rings?

SalmonidDave

9' or higher only.15' two handed is way fun!
May 12, 2019
SFV
Name
Dave
Boat
N/A
Rod, Reel, Line and Trip are all pretty expensive, dont let your investment go to waste at the MOST critical junction.

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
The idea crossed my mind of using split rings - doesn't split rings impede the movement a bit more compared to the welded on rings?

Possibly... but the size #4 split ring is pretty tiny and still holds 45# of drag

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Not sure in mm’s. But picture a split ring on a freshwater crank bait as a reference.