wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
Excel
Decided to take all of my brazed jigs to the shop...give them some pull testing. Aside from the normal name brand jigs, I went ahead and grabbed a pretty one off eBay for shits and giggles. The below pic was at #60 of pressure.

I also grabbed some Dr. Fish swivels off Amazon. One blew up just short of #80 (for an advertised #325 swivel)

Take this as a PSA. Test your shit and if you try to skimp....may not be worth it.

** Edit: After speaking with the seller, he did state that the jig was not through wired (take that for what you will).

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 6.31.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 6.44.43 AM.png

Last edited:

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    Going to be pretty hard to emulate 80lbs of drag from a fishing reel. What were you using to apply the tension?

Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
    Apr 5, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Excel
    Spring scale between two vices at work. Definitely scientific and I only posted as a PSA.....people can take from it what they want. You're, of course, correct....that's a lot of pressure that with drags...rod bend...etc won't be put on the equipment....or will it?

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    YES.... someone to expose the "myths" we've been sold for years. Swivels.... dont even get me started. Brazing....lol... gonna a be a field day. Poor quality brazing is a standard in the fishing business. Lure separation. Pulled lure eyes. The list will be endless brother. Thanks for doing ANYTHING that is even close to revealing the TRUE strengths of the crap... I mean "products" we are offered in the market. Just my thoughts...

P.S. YES... there are "serial offenders".... companies that don't feel you deserve consistancy...or quality. All in the name of profit. You know some are big national.brands. They think you won't notice. They think you don't care. They think every fish is behaved and comes to straight to the boat.... surrender style. Call them out by name... if you have real stones.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Braze looks good.

I would never use a barrel swivel offshore. No surprise there.

Not all through wire created equal.

Cheap jigs are just that. There is your PSA!!!

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    I use this style in a 400# rating. No failures yet, knock on wood. And I garage test everything to 120# dead weight.
    3E52E445-0A0D-47AB-A822-1E47961E8EEC.jpeg

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    After testing thousands of B.B. swivels...I will say the "domestic" brand.... was usually consistant. Some of the "offshore" manufacturers have problem batches...which you could never tell by looking with the naked eye. Stay with the brand SAMPO /ROSCO.

The other thing that escapes most anglers is the massive weakness the attached clip provides. This is what causes the ratings to drop more than half the actual swivel rating... that crappy clip.

For that reason ALONE..... I never...NEVER use swivels with clips for trolling. Swag the swivel on the lure leader.... and TIE or swag the live attachment. No one talks about the "standing impact" lures take when eaten by a 50 mph wahoo....going in the opposite direction. You cannot use your drag setting to guess the swivel will make it or not.

As for ANY "barrel" swivel..... CRAP. Saving money....really? Next time you desire to use a barrel swivel.... put a 10# weight one one side....and try turning that swivel. CRAP!! Don't fool yourself.... and cry later.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    YES.... someone to expose the "myths" we've been sold for years. Swivels.... dont even get me started. Brazing....lol... gonna a be a field day. Poor quality brazing is a standard in the fishing business. Lure separation. Pulled lure eyes. The list will be endless brother. Thanks for doing ANYTHING that is even close to revealing the TRUE strengths of the crap... I mean "products" we are offered in the market. Just my thoughts...

P.S. YES... there are "serial offenders".... companies that don't feel you deserve consistancy...or quality. All in the name of profit. You know some are big national.brands. They think you won't notice. They think you don't care. They think every fish is behaved and comes to straight to the boat.... surrender style. Call them out by name... if you have real stones.
    I have my rings Tig welded by a friend, he is a welder by trade, no issues so far.

W
    woodfish330
    TIG is by far the best ...most reliable weld for rings...PERIOD. But it also take some skill to consistently weld good rings....With TIG. Brazing.... I've personally seen more "hack" brazing by guys to cheap to do it right. Way to go brother....I'm with you!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother....was that it....#44 lbs? A shameful demonstration of ...."but it will catch yellowtail all day".... corporate mentality. Scary for sure.

So....35# of drag on the reel.... 150 yards of line belly ....currently in the water.... being pulled around by the fish... adds another 4 - 5 lbs of resistance... the extra pressure while lifting the rod to catch an extra crank and...POWWW!!

That hook....won't even say it. Scary!! Buyers beware.... if it looks weak.... replace it....upgrade it.... but NEVER use it...."just this once".... because MURPHYS law gonna get you for sure.

There are unscheduled demonstrations of this mentality and poor quality on EVERY sport and private boat daily. DONT BE "THAT" guy.... using crap...possibly costing.other anglers their fish as well.... when you "failure" happens.

Nice post "BLINDLUCK".... hope our other brothers chime in on their newly purchased tackle of "questionable" strength.... and the failures they too..... have experienced...

Last edited:
    Blind Luck
    Blind Luck
    Why put shit terminal tackle on the end of a $1000.00 rod & reel? How much did the trip cost?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    If anyone wants to test any fishing tackle..line ..etc
    You want to talk to Matt Forbes at Thirty Fathoms (on BD too)
    (I've posted regarding his awsome knot pullers)

Matt said it was OK for me to post this..
    He has professional testing equipment
    He has tested Phenix 150# braid for me..broke at 178#
    He said he would be happy to help
    He will also post here tonight....

Mike

W
    woodfish330
    Alright.... this is where .... all that salesman talking at the show.... in the stores... printed packaging.... gets "Illuminated". BULLSHIT doesn't float here. Where the water meets the hull... thats most important...right?

Tested in the REAL world. For our uses.... in our fishery... by our guys.... with our techniques.

REAL TESTING... my favorite...lol.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tautog_17

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 23, 2012
    San Diego, CA USA
    ThirtyFathoms.com
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    N/A
    I bought a Mark-10 tensile strength tester last year. It's got a nice load cell and can test line, swivels, hooks and other stuff up to 200 lbs. pulling force. If you're interested in having some knots, swivels or other stuff tested, shoot me a message....I'm interested in testing stuff - no cost to you of course...I just like doing this stuff.

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    We use barrel swivels all the time live baiting Giant Bluefin and trolling for Bigeyes. We wind the swivels through roller guides so we dont have to leader the fish. That TV show - is how they do it as well.

Spro 230's are stainless steel and hold up very well. On some of the newer roller guides we can get small ball bearing swivels through the guides and will use them as well.

When chunking long range I use ball bearing swivels because as was pointed out earlier they do turn easier and impart less twist than barrels.
    Having said that my biggest chunk fish 273 was on a 230 Spro swivel.

In jigging applications with assist hooks - the split ring doesnt matter. You are tying to the ring on the assist hook the split ring just holds the jig. If you are using the split ring for a hook - be very careful about brands. They will open.

I have a testing machine as well - scary where some stuff fails.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Has anyone tested the Dr Fish split rings? they sell some heavy ones on amazon 11.99 for 20 units. I bought the 400 lb and non-scientifically tested them. they were very strong. Still weary about using them though

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    ^^^^^^^
    I have them. The circumference is larger than the Owner Ultimate rings of similar size, but the profile is flatter. They use a more elongated and flatter wire to achieve it. Pics below.

Unscientifically, the Owners “feel” more difficult to pry open with split pliers when it comes to loading a hook. I read that as more strength. But, the Owners retain memory of being split to that level more than the Dr. Fish rings.
    8EE985D8-23C5-4D50-91C8-72AF7148FE40.jpeg
    2F4B00E0-6FA4-4A15-83A2-861B25BB47FF.jpeg

Both easily managed to lift 120# of dead weight, which was the largest barbell at my gym (you should have seen the looks).

I’m not claiming any kind of expertise in all this, but my feeling is that ring should withstand the abuse SoCal big bluefin are giving. And, their not permanent, so you can replace after a big fish if you’re feeling iffy. For ultimate confidence, go with a good welded ring.

Upvote 0

nate

Oct 9, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    gone
    I bought a Mark-10 tensile strength tester last year. It's got a nice load cell and can test line, swivels, hooks and other stuff up to 200 lbs. pulling force. If you're interested in having some knots, swivels or other stuff tested, shoot me a message....I'm interested in testing stuff - no cost to you of course...I just like doing this stuff.
    What a great offer! Do you record your findings and have any results to share?

Upvote 0

JamesZ

Jun 25, 2018
    Montana
    Name
    James Zachary
    Boat
    Kenner 23
    I have my rings Tig welded by a friend, he is a welder by trade, no issues so far.
    I do MIG, TIG and braze welding. Get a guy that knows metallurgy and that won't ever be a problem. I used to build powered suction devices. That are used to pick up 40' sheets of glass for skyscrapers. The leading company in the industry..... I braze welded something wrong. People could die. That ring should come back oblong before the weld broke honestly. But let's be honest. How long would it take to do 100 jigs properly? Damned if ya do. Damned if ya don't. The most drag I've ever pulled on a fish was 42lbs. Not a rail rod either. So who knows what it was at the fish. And nobody pulls like that these days. So cheaper stuff MIGHT hold up. Might not. I'm kinda shocked about the jig not being through wired though. It's not the hardest or most expensive thing to do while pouring. Especially knowing that the jigs are most likely going to be used on big, strong and mean fish? Some people just don't care I guess.

Upvote 0