Chris Penning

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 13, 2011
Laurel, MD
Name
Chris
Boat
Total Ho
One time on the Intrepid I was really hungry and they had panko crusted wahoo. I didn't feel like eating fish but I ate it because I was so hungry- one of the best meals I've ever had.
This. My first LR trip was on the Intrepid. My first Wahoo at the Rocks, and I donated it to the galley. The next night Perry served this same dish. I came up and saw what he was serving. I shrugged my shoulders and said I'm not a big fish eater Perry, give me a half portion. After the first bite, I knew I made a mistake...

Still give away 99% of the fish I catch.

Reactions: Bill W

tjohnson619

Jul 21, 2013
ramona ca
Name
tony
Boat
assasin, 21 wellcraft coastal
I detest fish. Everything about it - the texture, the taste, smell. Dont eat fish of any kind.

People eat very good with the fish I give them on the trip and the fish I bring home. None of it is wasted.
Same here...

Smitty44

Dec 30, 2017
garden grove
Name
John
Boat
none
Flash freezing generally does not allow time for ice crystals to form or it keeps them small. That's why that ice cream you see made in liquid nitrogen is the smoothest you'll ever eat.

Reactions: Cubeye and Bill W

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
It is all good if handled and prepared right. It is all crap if not treated properly.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Thinking about that ocean whitefish plate. We captured the ocean whitefish at the ridge or thetis. So don't forget about those fish. They are tasty and not junk. Almost always released but if that fish is ever being prepared in the galley. Its a good thing. The sauce was a zesty lemon cream sauce with I think capers. Dynamite

I also had calico grilled fish tacos, LR. The calicos were captured near isla natividad. Thats good taco meat and they are plentiful down there. Flaky goodness

Just wanted to mention less common fish eaten. I like bottom fish

Bubba

May 6, 2004
Pismo Beach
Name
Bubba
Boat
18' Trophy
Thinking about that ocean whitefish plate. We captured the ocean whitefish at the ridge or thetis. So don't forget about those fish. They are tasty and not junk. Almost always released but if that fish is ever being prepared in the galley. Its a good thing. The sauce was a zesty lemon cream sauce with I think capers. Dynamite

I also had calico grilled fish tacos, LR. The calicos were captured near isla natividad. Thats good taco meat and they are plentiful down there. Flaky goodness

Just wanted to mention less common fish eaten. I like bottom fish
We used to call Whitefish the poor mans YT. And Calico are awesome eating, love them and have zero problems keeping a few. Rockfish are awesome, so are bank perch..

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
I got a recipe for wahoo enchilada's from a long range trip over 20 years ago. I still make those at home til this day and share them with family and friends. People start off by saying: "wahoo enchilada's???? hmmm I'm not sure". Then I reply - just try a small bite, that is when the hook gets set. EVERYONE comes asking for more!!!

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Interested to know just the ingredients :) can be messaged and I will reply back with a good one

Reactions: FinHunter619

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
I've been doing fish enchiladas for a long time...my favorite is green chile halibut enchiladas, though wahoo or any other white meat fish would work fine. I like blending our New Mexico chiles with various fish recipes...a standard halibut Olympia with green chile for example. Or rockfish enchiladas with the red chile sauce. Sprinkling chopped green chile on your fish right before it goes into the smoker is the bomb...tried it with salmon, halibut and tuna. Might just give it a go with some yellowtail and wahoo when I'm home next.

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
I just know it from memory. Cut wahoo in 3" x 1/2' strips and dip in egg/milk, then roll around in bread crumbs and fry in hot oil. Let cool on a paper napkin and absorb the oil. do this with all your wahoo.
Then using FLOUR tortilla's, slightly fry the tortilla. It still needs to be flexible so you can roll up into the enchilada. I pat all the fried tortilla with paper towels. Then crumble the wahoo meat into small chunks and place into the tortilla. add sweet white onions diced, chopped black olives and diced green chile verde peppers. I also add lots of white mozzerella cheese but mexican 4 cheese works great also. then roll into enchilada. Repeat so you Fill the pan with enchiladas. Then add/pour in green chili verde sauce over all the enchiladas and top with more cheese, onions and back olives, Bake at 350. for 30-45 minutes. These are BOMB!!!

Last edited:

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
I also add in cajun spices to the bread crumbs to give it a serious bump in flavor. I guarantee once you have this recipe down, it will be at the top of your fish eating recipes. Most certainly for wahoo.

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
I also bake wahoo in a "hot" flavored salsa from Vons. Stupid good. I use foil to line the pan then put the wahoo in a pan, no skin, put small slices in it with a knife. Stuff butter slices into the slots, Pour a whole jar of "hot" corn & black bean salsa over the fish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins at 350. The fish absorbs the flavor from the salsa and its rediculously good.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicodemus

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
I make the pan method:

1-2 lbs of fish, chunked, barely cooked in pan
1 lb. or so of shredded jack cheese
A couple cups of chopped green chile (as hot as you like)
1 large onion (sweet work well, but yellow is fine)
A few cloves or garlic
24 or so corn tortillas
2 cans cream of mushroom soup

Sautee onion and garlic
Add soup and green chile and either some chicken stock or water, you want it fairly creamy
Taste and add salt and pepper as you like

Pour a bit of mixture and spread on bottom of a 9x13 pan
Layer with tortillas
Layer with fish
Pour more mixture
Layer with cheese

Repeat layers

Top with tortillas, mixture without fish, then cheese

Bake at 300-350 till hot and cheese is melted

I’m getting hungry just writing this!

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Name
John "Rio" Barbosa
Boat
cabo panga
Best eating fish in this order:
1) Opakapaka ( Pink Snapper from
Hi)
2) Wahoo

That is all......

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FinHunter619

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
One of the highlights of LR fishing for me is eating excellently prepared very fresh fish. I'm always amazed when I see fellow fishermen who eat fish at home but not on these trips. Why is this? I'm even more amazed when I find fishermen who don't eat fish at all. This confounds me. IMHO if we are going to kill these magnificent creatures we should honor them by eating them. I'm sure most of the people who keep fish but don't eat them give them away to friends and family but it still bothers me. I don't mean to slam anyone, but am interested in comments.
Eating fresh caught fish on a long range trip, is definitely one of my favorite things! The caliber of galley chefs is beyond most 5☆ restaurants. For those passengers that don't eat fish, the galley chefs( I dont call them galley cooks for obvious reasons) will defer to you're dietary needs or wishes! Some of the best fish dinners I've ever eaten have been on long range fishing boats! Jorge's wahoo enchiladas on the Red rooster are right at the top of my list! Cameroon's seared ahi on the Royal star is right up there too!

Reactions: marlyn and jer dog

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
RIP Bubba :)

Yum

Beer batter

The Flour below
Palm oil
Beer (choice would be Pacifico)
Italian seasoning
Mustard
Salt
Pepper

Italian seasoning and mustard sets it off

Seafood plate. Beer batter mixed with Tempura with some homemade teriyaki gold and spicy ranch

IMG_20200808_123204.jpg

Beer matter mixed with Tempura. Shrimp sandwich kinda Po Boy style made some remoulade sauce. That's a mangosteen & passion fruit and a skin removed peach palm nut aka pay-hee-by-yay. Peach palm nuts are delicious

IMG_20200808_123559.jpg

IMG_20200808_121908.jpg

Last edited:

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Yum

Beer batter

The Flour below
Palm oil
Beer (choice would be Pacifico)
Italian seasoning
Mustard
Salt
Pepper

Italian seasoning and mustard sets it off

Seafood plate. Beer batter mixed with Tempura with some homemade teriyaki gold and spicy ranch

View attachment 1181922

Beer matter mixed with Tempura. Shrimp sandwich kinda Po Boy style made some remoulade sauce. That's a mangosteen & passion fruit and a skin removed peach palm nut aka pay-hee-by-yay. Peach palm nuts are delicious

View attachment 1181923

View attachment 1181929
Do you deliver.