Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I want to buy a 7' rod for 60lb FF/ LB use. I have a bunch of reels that could work; (1) 40NLD2, (2) 60LD2s and (2) HXW Raptors. Also a couple Cal'd out 30SW2's from the 90's. I did have M&M wrap a couple of UC's for me, one Centaur and a Viper both 7'-6", but I never used them and sold them off. It's going to get used rarely and I don't want to blow $5-$600. I am looking at Phenix HAX720X2H (rated 40-100, $299) and PCH-C-741XXH (rated 60-100, $270). Both are over 7' in length which is an issue but the 7'-2" Phenix could work if you all think it is truly a 60lb rod. I like fast versus parabolic action. I like light, I am NOT trying to catch cow tuna.

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Hey SP, give the shop a call.. We should still have a good selection of Okuma, Phenix and Graftech rods that will fit your bill and your wallet.. You can also compare these lower priced rods, side by side, to the more expensive Calstar and United composite series rods to see what fits your needs the best... I am out of town this week for the NCAA tournament but will be back this Saturday if you want to drop in..

If you are interested we can go over some techniques that you might find interesting when picking out rods of this line rating. These techniques might also help you find out if the rating on the rod fits the style of fishing fighting you might employ.

If you have an appropriate reel with line on it bring the reel along to try out on the rods you might be considering... It would be my pleasure to work with you if your are interested.

Have a great season.

Jamie

Last edited:

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Have MM wrap you a RCJB84XXH.

The XH is more of a 50lb rod, the XXH is a solid 60, light 80lb rod.

If you want to go lighter on the wallet ask for black/black wrap, cheaper guides, seat and handle. That's where a lot of the cost in a custom rod is normally tied up.

SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Fisha 500
    Website says out of stock :rolleyes: and from what I see online the Graftechs are all 7-8" ??????
    They don't sell the Californian rods online, you will have to do it the old fashioned way and call them and see if they have one. They are pretty good at bringing them in from another Turners branch if they dont have the particular model you want in the local store (i.e. bringing a rod from modesto down to ontario for me). Fwiw I have one of those Graftechs in 7'8" and it feels like a decent rod, hasn't seen water yet. Its a 50-60# rated GOF78XH. Its pretty stiff, IMO you would be better off to go into the store and pull on them.

Upvote 0