Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
I grew up fishing the North Atlantic and I'll take our weather and the ability to go fish tuna in 20 something foot boats any day of the week.

PS: In Canada there is ZERO recreational fishing for BFT allowed.

da_koman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 17, 2010
SAN DIEGO CA
Name
derek
Boat
1992 Grady White 24 explorer
I'm not talking about weather and seas. i was shocked how close the bluefin came to the boat to grab a mackerel. Cant beat San Diego weather

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Are the PEI trips out of Nova Scotia not recreational? I know next to nothing of the subject.

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Spectacular! Fed 'em enough baits. :oops:

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
I’m not sure about Canada but when I visited Gloucester, Mass in late 2017 and asked someone at the dock working on his boat about fishing recreationally, he said I would not be able to keep any bluefin. He also said that what the Wicket Tuna says about what the market paid for those tuna on TV was much overly exaggerated

9E05D412-1069-4713-AE7D-D2482EF57FEA.jpeg 4CA2A0F6-00BE-4131-AEC8-C5BC7EB076A6.jpeg

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
I’m not sure about Canada but when I visited Gloucester, Mass in late 2017 and asked someone at the dock working on their boat about fishing recreationally, he said I would not be able to keep any bluefin. He also say that what the Wicket Tuna says about what the market paid for those tuna on TV was much overly exaggerated

View attachment 1070478 View attachment 1070479
The recreational quota in the US until the quota is filled (I used to commercial fish them in NY) is 1 fish from 27" to 43" per boat per day - 1 fish from 43" - 73" per boat per day and then 1 fish over 73" per boat PER YEAR. So recs can keep 1 giant per year.

Really makes you appreciate the recreational 2 fish pp quota here.

A lot of boats go out with customers. If they catch one over 73" the trip becomes a commercial trip and the customers don't pay and the fish is sold. If they don't get one over 73" it's a recreational trip and the customers pay.

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
The recreational quota in the US until the quota is filled (I used to commercial fish them in NY) is 1 fish from 27" to 43" per boat per day - 1 fish from 43" - 73" per boat per day and then 1 fish over 73" per boat PER YEAR. So recs can keep 1 giant per year.

Really makes you appreciate the recreational 2 fish pp quota here.

A lot of boats go out with customers. If they catch one over 73" the trip becomes a commercial trip and the customers don't pay and the fish is sold. If they don't get one over 73" it's a recreational trip and the customers pay.
Very interesting

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
1. Why all the slack line next to the boat vs just letting the mack swim? Better hook set with the line being stright up down? Or just fact they come that close adds to the excitement off seing what you're on with?

2. Why it take so long for the angler to tighten that drag up? Seemed like he was loosing fish when drag was not tight enough.

3. What the yellow thingy on the line off the tip? Prevent chaffing of line at boatside against hull maybe??

Not going to show this to my kids! They still want to go back to those pay trout farms. You know... where it's CATCHING not FISHING. What this reminds me of! LOL

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
1. Why all the slack line next to the boat vs just letting the mack swim? Better hook set with the line being stright up down? Or just fact they come that close adds to the excitement off seing what you're on with?

2. Why it take so long for the angler to tighten that drag up? Seemed like he was loosing fish when drag was not tight enough.

3. What the yellow thingy on the line off the tip? Prevent chaffing of line at boatside against hull maybe??

Not going to show this to my kids! They still want to go back to those pay trout farms. You know... where it's CATCHING not FISHING. What this reminds me of! LOL
As noted above yellow thingy is a chafe guard to keep from getting bit off. It slides down the line over the hook while fighting the fish.

Last edited:

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Is there a video or picture that shows the fish at the end of the fight?

Reactions: Randy V