Eastern Sierra Bridgport Reservoir - 4/29

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by streetnfish, Apr 29, 2019.

1. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Hey guys,

Left the yellows behind and headed up to the Sierras Sun afternoon in hopes of opening up the trout season with the old lady. Had a great drive up. The valleys are nice and green and there is tons of snow on the mountains. Even brought my snowboard. Just in case !
    Anyway, got up early this morning and headed up to Bridgeport reservoir as it had a better weather forecast than Crowley. Picked up a rental boat at the marina, got a little dope from the guy behind the counter , and off we went.
    Weather was gorgeous. Blue skies, glassy, and beautiful snow capped peaks out back. 20190429_083139.jpg
    There were quite a few boats out but they were well spaced on the anchor. Occasionally one of the trollers would swing through within casting distance but it was opening season and too nice a day to let anything bother you. We tossed out a couple of nightcrawlers and I was tying on a spoon when I got the first bite in about 5 min. Cool . . . Nice first spot ! 20190429_181000.jpg
    About 15 min later my girl gets on the board with a nice brown. 20190429_093250.jpg
    We hit a little lull for about 40 min with no bites and I notice several boats positioned closer to shore land several fish. After another 15 min and watching several more fish landed in the inner zone. I make a move closer to shore and away from the other boats. Toss baits and my gal is hammered almost as soon as the line settles. 20190429_093018.jpg
    Pretty soon a nicer fish is in the boat. 20190429_103710.jpg
    I'm stoked that the new move is also working and we are catching fish. My gal catches another nice one and as I net it for her, my rod goes off again. This one stays deep and I can tell it's a nice one. A few ins and outs of the anchor rope and the nicest fish of the morning is in the boat. 20190429_105608.jpg
    We have 5 nice fish in the boat and I make the decision that we'll catch 2 more and go in as we have plenty of quality fish. The igloo is getting full too to tell the truth. I'm feeling pretty good about my nice fish. However, my gal is not to be outdone, and hangs another one. I could tell by how much line it took and the head shakes that it was a good one ! She got it straight up and down and when I came up into view . . . I knew I had to net it carefully as it was longer then the opening in the net. Got a good headfirst scoop and . . .All Hail The Queen ! 20190429_180546.jpg
    I reeled in my rod and called it a morning as we headed back to the marina. Awsome 1/2 day at Bridgeport Reservoir. And we left um biting ! The fish ended up weighing 4lbs on the scale at Ken's after being gilled and gutted.
    On the way back to Mammoth, I saw the sign for Virginia Lakes. Hey its early. . . Let's check it out ! I heard that there was some pretty good ice fishing going on and I just wanted to take a look. I've never been ice fishing and always wanted to do it as a kid. So off we go up the hill. 20190429_131446.jpg 20190429_131741.jpg
    The lake is beautiful. A few people fishing and some backcountry skiers coming down the hills in the back. 20190429_132029.jpg 20190429_132828.jpg
    We walk out on the ice and chat up a friendly gentleman with his dog. I ask him about his setups and technique and it sounds simple enough. 20190429_132456.jpg 20190429_132353.jpg Hell . . . Today is the day. I'm gonna give it a shot ! We go back to the car, get a couple of rods, and find some empty holes in the ice. 20190429_150526.jpg 20190429_132527.jpg 20190429_134451.jpg
    5 min later. . . 20190429_135544.jpg 20190429_135520.jpg
    So Stoked ! ! ! The rainbow is small but is a beautiful shade of purple that I haven't seen before. Tried to get a better pic but the fish kept flopping around on the ice and I wanted to let him go. Watched him take off back down the hole and did myself a little dance. Mission accomplished. We fished a little longer and got a few more bites. I wanted to get my girl on a fish but they were very light biters and she couldn't quite hook one. We headed back to the house with one more stop at June Lake just to check conditions for anyone coming up. Looks great ! 20190429_160842.jpg 20190429_160857.jpg
    Anyway, got back to the house, vaccuum packed some fish, and prepped the big one. 20190429_183834.jpg
    Had to stop writing this to eat. Talk about good eating ! 20190429_190614.jpg
    That's about it for today. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Honestly, I could just drive straight home and I would have been a great trip. Conditions are beautiful up here !

Take care guys !

2. steveooo

steveooo Member

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    Yak
    Excellent!

3. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    Great Report!

4. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    Excellent report! I haven’t been up that way in a while but maybe this year.
    Thanks

5. Beer Goggles

Beer Goggles Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    O
    Boat:
    The Snapper Slapper
    What an outstanding report and pictures. Thank you for taking the time to share that with us. Looks beautiful up there. Can't wait to get back up.

DoubletroubleII likes this.
  6. garlicsalt

garlicsalt Member

Name:
    jed
    Boat:
    ''the twisted ducker''
    FANFREAKINGTASTIC. that sounds like fun.

7. sdjfish

sdjfish Deck Ape

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Your killin me!

8. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
  9. bassmeister

bassmeister Member

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    17ft astro
    Kudos to the wifey for sticking the big fish of the trip:-)! I just hope my wifey doesn't do the same to me when we head back to Isabella for the crappie! Actually I wouldn't mind to much LOL. The grape trout looked pretty cool.

10. pele

pele Member

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    boats are designed to drive men insane
    That was outstanding...from a-z.
    Was wondering what ice was like as I'm getting stoke my trip in 9 days. thanks

11. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Thanks and perfect. Love your locations and all the earned bites. What a blast and such great vibe. Solid trip with wife.

Getting a tad home sick. Did that tour allot early June. And never did even close to that good at bridgeport reservoir. (Always had home camp at upper twin lakes) Which we always dedicated at least one full day too at the reservoir. Fishing the channels and windy back side. Or sleep in the van at June lake loop

12. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Feels like i was there.
    Great stuff.
    Thanks

13. Tunacidle

Tunacidle Newbie

Name:
    Jack Frost
    Boat:
    16' Arima
    Well done sir, that's exactly why I joined this site thank you my friend.

14. King Halibut

King Halibut BigBoy

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    none
    Great read, nice fish!

15. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  16. scfisher

scfisher Make it count !

Name:
    jay
    Boat:
    Not yet
    Great report . I am in the area I didn’t bring any gear with me. Who can I go to to get some gear locally . Any tips??

17. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Kens Sporting Goods

kenssport.com

18. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  19. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
  20. palella09

palella09 Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    12' Scrambler XT
    Sweet report! Never thought of ice fishing in California.. did you use the night crawlers for bait?