Offshore East of Osborn Bank 8/20/20

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Went for a trip just east of the Osborn as I had got some intel the fish were there 33/15 119/00. About five miles from the spot I see fish on the surface all around an area 1/2 mile wide. I pull up on a spot of fish going airborne everywhere. These fish were all 50 plus pounds. Tried baiting them fly lined, sinker rig, poppers, colt snipers, trolling DXT, cedar plug you name it. FN fish were everywhere.

I worked this shit for an hour and a half before deciding to head to my numbers. Got to the numbers and beat the bushes for nothing. Decided to go back to the area that had the fish and they were gone. At this point I was 7 miles from the 499 and decided to head that direction and 3 miles short I find these huge fucking fish everywhere again. No matter which way I looked they were busting bait. Back out with the fly lined 20 lb outfit, 25lb sinker rig and everything else above. This school was busting bait and coming right at me. I pick up my popper stick and threw it right on top of them. 2 pops and this monster 60 lb fish flys out of the water hits my popper with his head and sends it 5 feet away from him, WTF!

Again I work this shit hard and get no joy. It was a show the best I ever seen, but it just wasn’t my day. 142 miles, 11 hours on the water, 3.86 MPG and I’m beat. If a sport boat was around with unlimited bait, they could have killed it.

Good luck out there.

Upvote 0

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
Went for a trip just east of the Osborn as I had got some intel the fish were there 33/15 119/00. About five miles from the spot I see fish on the surface all around an area 1/2 mile wide. I pull up on a spot of fish going airborne everywhere. These fish were all 50 plus pounds. Tried baiting them fly lined, sinker rig, poppers, colt snipers, trolling DXT, cedar plug you name it. FN fish were everywhere.

I worked this shit for an hour and a half before deciding to head to my numbers. Got to the numbers and beat the bushes for nothing. Decided to go back to the area that had the fish and they were gone. At this point I was 7 miles from the 499 and decided to head that direction and 3 miles short I find these huge fucking fish everywhere again. No matter which way I looked they were busting bait. Back out with the fly lined 20 lb outfit, 25lb sinker rig and everything else above. This school was busting bait and coming right at me. I pick up my popper stick and threw it right on top of them. 2 pops and this monster 60 lb fish flys out of the water hits my popper with his head and sends it 5 feet away from him, WTF!

Again I work this shit hard and get no joy. It was a show the best I ever seen, but it just wasn’t my day. 142 miles, 11 hours on the water, 3.86 MPG and I’m beat. If a sport boat was around with unlimited bait, they could have killed it.

Good luck out there.

Hahaha, damn. Have seen fish blow my popper out of the water and miss it, so damn frustrating ... waiting to go tight and nah. Thanks for the report and you'll gettum next time eh

Reactions: Saponi73
Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
Rustman,

Which brand and size prop are you using? Your MPG is impressive.

I was out there last week and covered 130 miles for zero tunas. Looks like the San Diego fleet has ditched this area.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Great post. Feel your pain. Gaffes a 303 on NLA in year. Fish freaked gaff broke my nose!! So been right with you!! Lol

Upvote 0

getusum

Almost A Member
Apr 8, 2014
Name
Jeremy Pebley
Boat
222 wellcraft fishermen
WTF! U are getting 3.89 MPG!
What kind of war wagon are you pushing?
Not sure about him , but I have a 22 cc with a 200 Yamaha. Alone I get 3.3 to 4.2
With me plus 2 guys running offshore with 100 lbs ice and gear 2 bait tanks ,55 gallons, I get 2.8 to 3.3

Upvote 0

uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
It's complicated
I was right out that way as well same day. 6-7 miles west of 499 below Osborne. Ran along the snail and all over the area in between. Never did see them. Put 180 miles in. Hopefully get on em soon. Was a frustrating day for sure.

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
Anyone who has fished offshore for the last 6 years feels your frustration.. We have all been there... At times it seems impossible that your lure would not snag one they were so thick.

Reactions: uglyducky
Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
Hey at least it's good to hear they're still around. Thought the Catalina F$(*^@#$%@ing Wine Mixer 2020 may have scared them back to Japan.

Nice boat FYI.

Reactions: Tom123
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thanks for the report! Most of the time, days like that go unmentioned because just writing the report brings back horrible memories. Been there, done that too. Next time!

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    Rustman,

Which brand and size prop are you using? Your MPG is impressive.

I was out there last week and covered 130 miles for zero tunas. Looks like the San Diego fleet has ditched this area.
    Sea Hawk I am running a Honda OEM Stainless 14.5 X 17 (3) blade and turning 6,000 RPM at WOT.

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    We fished same area Wednesday. landed 5, but had to drop to 15 pound... and SMALL hooks.
    It would have been near impossible to put these size fish onboard with 15 lb test. I mean these were the bigger grade 50 to 60 lb avg. with some bigger models. I am sure you got the smaller 25 to 35 lb fish being posted by the fleet, but I haven’t seen any of these fish posted yet.

I was telling my buddy if we did hook up on 20 we would most likely not win that battle, but it sure will be fun. LOL

Reactions: bottomdweller
    Upvote 0

lobzila

May 2, 2007
    Oside
    Name
    e-man
    Boat
    204 Angler
    It would have been near impossible to put these size fish onboard with 15 lb test. I mean these were the bigger grade 50 to 60 lb avg. with some bigger models. I am sure you got the smaller 25 to 35 lb fish being posted by the fleet, but I haven’t seen any of these fish posted yet.

I was telling my buddy if we did hook up on 20 we would most likely not win that battle, but it sure will be fun. LOL

Somedays, you just have to jump in and force feed them the iron!

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None

Good luck out there.

Thanks for the info. We came down from SBI and found similar conditions. We found the same schools and got them to play. Hooked up 7 but lost 4. There was some brutes mixed in that really made us work hard on light lines. Luckily we had decent bait and that helped. At one point, we were surrounded by three big boils with fish jumping out of the water everywhere. Those big tunas were boiling right behind our boat just 20 feet away. It was insane. We were there alone with just one other boat within a few hundred yards away. We both saw the same boils and worked it hard. I know they hooked and landed at least one fish due to all the yelling.

1598102045829.png

The fish was killing these tiny 1.5 inch anchovies.
    1598101973227.png

1598102182692.png

Last edited:
    Upvote 0