East county bait and tackle bad business.

socal53

Aug 27, 2013
Lakewood Ca
Name
Chano J
Boat
The one available on my off day!
The shop is there to provide a service they could have easily of taken back the line, pulled the line off the shelf and sent it back to Berkley or whoever they get it from.... and if the he wants to put them on blast and that helps another customer from going through this shit or lights a fire under their ass to try harder.....win win.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Granted, this is one side of the story, but…

I used to tell my trainees that every problem was a chance to deliver outstanding customer service. Distributors and manufacturers have processes to credit retailers for defective product. Why not take care of your customer up front and get some loyalty? The way this went down, yeah he got his line replaced, but was made to feel like he was scamming the store. And it took another customer getting involved to make it happen.

Upvote 0

TunaChaser20

Captain
  • Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    La Guera
    So do you think that shop left the rest of that floro on the shelf for some other fisherman to buy or did they send it all back to Berkely? Bad batch or just crappy line?
    Honestly I don’t know… I just grabbed some other name brand and left.hopefully they did pull it. Sucks when you are off shore and you find out the brand new line you just bought is bad.

Upvote 0

TunaChaser20

Captain
  • Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    La Guera
    Granted, this is one side of the story, but…

I used to tell my trainees that every problem was a chance to deliver outstanding customer service. Distributors and manufacturers have processes to credit retailers for defective product. Why not take care of your customer up front and get some loyalty? The way this went down, yeah he got his line replaced, but was made to feel like he was scamming the store. And it took another customer getting involved to make it happen.
    Yes.. I also had to show them the line was bad… I grabbed a pair of gloves wrapped the line on my hands and pulled on it… snap… not much force was needed to snap off the 50lbs floro.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    So I should always test line BEFORE heading out to fish?

Got it.
    Thanks.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    It sounds like shit customer service got them a bad review, so who's fault is that really?

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    How long do you think Flourocarbon will sit on their shelfs as compasred to Squidco?

By the way, you should pull hard on those knots before getting hooked up.
    +1 on pulling hard on your knots.

Unlike nylon fluorocarbon is very tough material. Not affected by UV or most any nasty chemical. It can sit for years with little or no degradation. Of course thats assuming that the OP bought real flouro and not some cheaper blend.

Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    I get that, however they are no mom and pop store… they own the tackle store / deli at Dana landing . And it’s not like I was asking to get something for free. I paid good money.
    I know the owner Steve Pinnard and he`s a stand up guy and would have gladly made it right , he can`t be all the time thou , he has a young son and a wife and would do anything to avoid bad press , you did what you thought was right and that`s fine , now it`s time too put this thing to bed and give it a rest you`ve done enough

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I know the owner Steve Pinnard and he`s a stand up guy and would have gladly made it right , he can`t be all the time thou , he has a young son and a wife and would do anything to avoid bad press , you did what you thought was right and that`s fine , now it`s time too put this thing to bed and give it a rest you`ve done enough
    +1

Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    23' Maritime Patriot
    How long do you think Flourocarbon will sit on their shelfs as compasred to Squidco?

By the way, you should pull hard on those knots before getting hooked up.
    I can't tell you how many times I've watched guys pop fish off because of shitty knots - Spectra to mono, mono to floro, floro to hook - always the same stupid look on their faces afterwards...

I had a guy I fished with for years, and used to watch him tie up his set-ups in his garage, prior to a long range trip, and then get out on the grounds and break off fish after fish. Not once did I see him check his knots (even though I said he should and he tells me he knows how to tie up his shit) - and then had to listen to him cry about farming his fish afterwards. It was always the same excuses - the Spectra I bought was no good, the floro I bought was no good, blah blah blah.

Always, I repeat always, check your knots prior to getting hooked up and loosing your fish. I would rather have the knot break in my garage than on a fish. And if I can't break the knot, no fish will break it.

Problem solved dipshit.

Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    23' Maritime Patriot
    I can't tell you how many times I've watched guys pop fish off because of shitty knots - Spectra to mono, mono to floro, floro to hook - always the same stupid look on their faces afterwards...

I had a guy I fished with for years, and used to watch him tie up his set-ups in his garage, prior to a long range trip, and then get out on the grounds and break off fish after fish. Not once did I see him check his knots (even though I said he should and he tells me he knows how to tie up his shit) - and then had to listen to him cry about farming his fish afterwards. It was always the same excuses - the Spectra I bought was no good, the floro I bought was no good, blah blah blah.

Always, I repeat always, check your knots prior to getting hooked up and loosing your fish. I would rather have the knot break in my garage than on a fish. And if I can't break the knot, no fish will break it.

Problem solved dipshit.
    And by the way, I fish nothing but Berkley Big Game line, and have never had a problem with line breakage...

Reactions: Mtnfshr
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Giving that customer service is priceless. Whether they didn’t recall that you had recently made a $600 purchase what about just giving you the proper service regardless. You never know what a guy is going to buy next. Like the restaurant business, you’re as good as your last meal.

Reactions: TunaChaser20
    Upvote 0

TunaChaser20

Captain
  • Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    La Guera
    If you go to Squidco Joey would take care of you quickly. NO BS involve Squidco Is my go to fishing tackle store.
    Yeah,I live Squidco, but I live in lakeside,so it’s a little far,especially if I was just picking up some hooks and line….I’ll be going to the other tackle store in lakeside from now on.

Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    Called Squidco looking for a certain AVET, said those were tough to come by but they'd call me when one came it. Got the call almost 2 months later and by then I'd almost forgot..... but they sure hadn't! They beat any price both internet and brick n' mortar. Price even included braid w/top shot.

Drove down to get the reel about lunch time (super busy time for that place) and they said it would be a few minutes and sorry for the wait. Then someone asked "can we get you a soda or bottle of water?" Yah......took like 5 whole minutes!

Been going there since the early 1980's when they were still in South Bay, Joey's been there forever and knows customer service. All the kids they hire are expected to work hard, breath fishing and check the attitude at the door.

Most tackle shops in San Diego can't compete with Squidco's prices and customer service and hate them for it.

I always shop there first

Last edited:
    Upvote 0