East Coast Hobie Power Skiff - partial restore

jackm101

Jun 30, 2020
East Coast
Name
Jack Martin
Boat
Hobie Power Skiff
Prefacing all this by saying I am currently a student on the east coast, was limited financially, and by my knowledge with boat fabrication, not perfect and a few very obvious corners were cut, learned a lot and plan on going back and fixing my cut corners little by little when the time/money is there. The goal was to get on the water ASAP and have a capable inshore skiff for stripers, bluefish, and seabass and run around the river.

This is how I got her... the green machine, modified sit in console w galvanized bench, soaking wet foam, bilge above and below deck, and to top it all off it was named "Bad Idea"

IMG_5145.jpg

Got to work, console off, started gutting wet foam out 2 inspection ports with paint stir drill attachment and shop vac, took out about 120 pounds if I remember correctly (note, not all hobie skiffs have a celled stringer system, and not all have foam, some even had delamination issues so foam was added to help with vibration dampening, I put in bilge pump under the deck in case shit hit the fan. Patched all holes w glass in the deck except for 2 inspection port hatches which were replaced then prepped deck for kiwi grip.
IMG_3611 (1).jpg

Turns out this boat was the classic Hobie yellow under the jungle green paint? job. Tried my best at doing gel coat repair. Came to the conclusion it would just not come out good, after I wet sanded the layer of gel coat it was just far too thin since this boat was previously sanded when it was sprayed green. I gave up and got a spray gun and sprayed it grey... look forward to stripping the grey and having it re gel-coated eventually.
61265340458__FA0EFAAF-2D45-4C98-8E67-465BD6A8280A.JPG

IMG_3853 (1).jpg

New to me console, was underwater at some point, barnacles and all... glassed in new marine ply on the dash, did tons of prep work, sprayed it, and finally had something I was proud of.

IMG_3840.jpg
IMG_3548.JPG

Rigged and wired and then came out with this! Sold the merc at end of the season and now have a honda bf50 that I'll be putting on... making some splash guards and doing some more small glass work this winter. If anyone has any input on foam vs no foam would be curious, the current plan is to pour foam in through inspection ports but not blow up my deck when it expands, will do little by little at a time. Looks like all the full restos of hobie skiffs all run rigging above deck, might do some rerouting when I rig the honda to keep things simple.

IMG_4481.jpgIMG_4561.jpgScreen Shot 2020-12-02 at 17.13.41.png

IMG_4614.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Finding_Nico

Stay Stoked
  • Jun 11, 2020
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Nico
    Boat
    Reblochon - LV14
    Dang! nice one man! looks like a lot of fun for 2 people to cruise and fish on

Upvote 0

brianpeck

Jul 9, 2020
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Name
    Brian Peck
    Boat
    My buddy's 24ft Sea Ray
    Yep, I’m just up river in Essex
    Nice! I grew up in Old Saybrook, my dad kept his boat under the Baldwin Bridge right there. I now live in Southern California, been trying to get back into boating, had a nice little flashback of deja-vu when I found this thread and saw that pic! Enjoy the river and the sound!

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
    Apr 29, 2004
    Duarte/Covina
    Name
    karl
    Boat
    20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
    Great job!
    You need a butt pad and a windshield for your console.

Upvote 0

jackm101

Jun 30, 2020
    East Coast
    Name
    Jack Martin
    Boat
    Hobie Power Skiff
    Great job!
    You need a butt pad and a windshield for your console.
    Thank you! I just put seadek on the bench for now, just need to find a cooler cushion with the same dims or marine upholstery guy that's not slammed right now, usually standing up so not too big of a deal. Hope to bend some plexiglass with a heat gun for the windshield!

Upvote 0