East Cape Anglers

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by FAT CAT, Feb 16, 2017.

1. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    East Cape Anglers is a local fishing club and I built these two rods for the club to give as awards for a couple of their tournaments. Most of the members know me, but there's always new members that have just moved here, so I thought I'd donate a couple of rods to let them see what I do. Blanks are just Pac-Bay glass that my buddy brought down and most of the parts are stuff I had laying around, so I don't really have much invested. So, it's "almost free" advertising.

The club holds 4 tournaments each year and the first is held the Friday before Mother's Day, with an Awards Brunch on Mother's Day. It's a ladies only tournament and the first rod is for the winning angler. So, I made a rod that a lady should like. I used a Rod Skinz graphic that is a faux abalone and topped that with an over-wrap, al a tiger, of Voodoo pearl to "lady" it up a bit.

ECA-A1.jpg ECA-A2.jpg ECA-A3.jpg ECA-A4.jpg ECA-A5.jpg ECA-A6.jpg ECA-A7.jpg ECA-A9.jpg

The second rod is for their last tournament, which is held around Fourth of July, so the graphics on this one is Old Glory. I'll tell you later what I used, but for now -- any guesses?

ECA-B1.jpg ECA-B2.jpg ECA-B3.jpg ECA-B4.jpg ECA-B5.jpg ECA-B6.jpg ECA-B7.jpg ECA-B9.jpg ECA-B10.jpg ECA-B11.jpg ECA-B14.jpg

2. JTrelikes

JTrelikes I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat:
    Bubba Jean 28
    Really beautiful work Bill! :)

3. cmepen

cmepen I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Einar Lohner
    Boat:
    Cabo Marine 226
    Those are two killer builds! Beautiful!

4. K. D.

K. D. Member

Name:
    Kerry Hansen
    Boat:
    RIVER SLED
    Really Nice!

5. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Grant Darby
    Boat:
    Which one?
    Somebody(s) are going to be very happy. Sweet rods Bill.

6. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless

Bill, Im in thinking to build me a budget 60# trolling rod for the Baja nort sea of cortez, no monsters over here as you know (gonzaga bay area).

I was checking those PacBay glass blanks and looks good enough, the other option is a Rainshadow RCJB84H Eglass or the FSU60XH

do you think there will be a noticiable difference on those blanks when used to deep drop loop fishing and mild trolling for YT and big Cabrillas?

I was actually thinking on using the same guides and reel sea/ accesories on your "free" build

7. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Alex, For the kind of fishing we do on the Baja, glass rods are really all you need. I really can't advise you on the blanks you've mentioned, but they're all likely to work just fine for what you're doing. The blanks here were 6 foot models for trolling, you might want a 61/2 or 7 footer for yellowtail.

8. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    thanks buddy, I will get a Eglass or solid glass them, composite rods are cool but if you are casting with them there is no difference, only in price

saludos from San Felipe