Ease into it, or jam it in?

Discussion in 'Southern CA Sport Boat Trip Planning' started by Shade42087, Jul 25, 2018.

1. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    still a very few 7 or 8 day trips open in Sept...prime time. A 7 day will get you to either Alijos Rocks, or the ridge. An 8 day allows you to fish both...that extra day is golden. Many of the 7 day trips will go to Guadalupe...not a bad option at all, but really focused on the big tuna. Rocks/ridge is all about the variety...wahoo, YT, school size tuna to maybe 40#'s and dorado. A six works for Guadalupe, but only gives you 2 days of fishing if you head south...real iffy...find a spot soon, and just do it. Thank us all later :D And write a report when you get back ;)

Abusaade and Shade42087 like this.
  2. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    Again, solid info. Thanks a lot. I've been looking into it all night (night shift) and trying to decide on a boat. Also need to clear it with the boss ... I'll be happy when my business REALLY takes off, I'll be on a boat whenever and wherever then

3. El Chiva

El Chiva Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nomad
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 Nomad
    I went from a 5 day to a 15 day on the RR3. I went from Cedros to Clarion/HB. The gear and rigging is obviously the biggest difference, but you’ll be in good hands on almost all LR boats.

Plus...on the 15 day....I learned more than I had in my previous few years.

Most guys you’ll find, prefer specific boats/captains. I’ll only fish the RR3 with Cates....but that’s my personal preference.

Btw....if you do decide to do a “long range” trip to say clarion....the one thing I figured out quickly; no one can explain to you what a fly lined scad being eaten by a 200lb yellowfin feels like. It felt like a car taking off with my bait...almost ripped the rod out of my hands, almost.

Shade42087 likes this.
  4. onehottip

onehottip Member

Name:
    Guerms
    Boat:
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Go now on overnight or day n1/2. You can get your feet wet on the wide open yellowtail. Simple fishing. Observe what's going on, what there using for equipment etc. that will give you a good idea for what to expect, only on a bigger scale. Good luck.