Earthquake at the Channel Islands

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Breaking news just said there was a 5.3 earthquake at the Channel Islands. Not sure how that affects the boaters out there, but hoping everyone is safe.

Reactions: Benny Mora

MikeKilo

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 5, 2012
OC
Name
Mike
Boat
In the works
Do earthquakes have any short term effects on fish? I'm supposed to fish channel islands out of Oxnard tomorrow on an overnighter. Hope the swells don't get too big

salty nuts

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
I would be more concerned about the wind that's forecast to blow!

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Do earthquakes have any short term effects on fish? I'm supposed to fish channel islands out of Oxnard tomorrow on an overnighter. Hope the swells don't get too big
Short term it usually shuts down a bite . By Saturday it should have no effect.
Weather will be the biggest issue this weekend.

Reactions: wils

MikeKilo

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 5, 2012
OC
Name
Mike
Boat
In the works
Short term it usually shuts down a bite . By Saturday it should have no effect.
Weather will be the biggest issue this weekend.
Yeah we've been watching the storm rolling in. Rain is not an issue but the wind or swells could be. Now an earthquake happened so I'm worried about bigger swells that might roll in

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
worked a trip during a couple of quakes in the 90's. I recall one trip that my dad was running when fishing had been outstanding and then completely shut off. I remember him saying "I wonder if there was an earthquake" there had been. Fishing sucks after an earthquake. Im sure lots of ledges and boulders move down there and spooks the fish.

The next day it was always back to normal...

cbadcrew

Mar 1, 2008
carlsbad ca
Name
joeb1
Boat
2520 PKR The Slaughterhouse
The result may be that you end up with a new Canyon to fish
Think positive stay thirsty!!

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
Our group fished with Mike Thompson on the Amigo for about 30 years. One fall 1 1/2 day trip we were at SCI in beautiful weather with great current but could not buy a bite. We circled the entire island looking for YT, CB and finally rock fish. Everyplace we tried was empty.....no marks, no boils and no fish. We learned when we returned that while we were traveling to the island about 2AM there was a significant earthquake and the epicenter was SCI.

So yes, an earthquake can impact the fishing.

Luke

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Yeah we've been watching the storm rolling in. Rain is not an issue but the wind or swells could be. Now an earthquake happened so I'm worried about bigger swells that might roll in
How was the weather ?

MikeKilo

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 5, 2012
OC
Name
Mike
Boat
In the works
How was the weather ?
Boat didn't leave dock till about 12:30am because of the reported swells. Hit some fun swells that woke me up while trying to sleep then it settled down pretty well. We caught limits on the rocks early and got back to the docks about 2 hrs earlier than scheduled. wind picked up to prob over 20 knots on the way back in.

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
94 northridge quake at sci on the shogun...put on the tv before everyone got up and saw the news ... woke everyone up and norm took a vote to fish or go home...
They voted to fish cause the winter jig and squid calico bite was full speed...
Fish shut off completely and didn't chew the same for the rest of that winter...
Norm swears it was never the same til they moved to San Diego full time after that quake...