"Early Season" @ Guadalupe Isl.?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by rstephens91350, Feb 21, 2016.

1. rstephens91350

rstephens91350 Newbie

Name:
    roger
    Boat:
    18' 4Winns - traded for plumbing work
    I know the permits for some boats became available last year after a few year hiatus, but was wondering "back in the day" if any boats visited the Lupe end of June/early July time frame. I have fished there a few times, but always later in the fall. It could be an option on a Charter (permitted boat) I am considering.

2. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    For tuna the fall is the target for Lupe, bass and big yellows should be there in June or July. But if tuna bite at the rocks at any time, they may be a lupe too. Lupe can be completely dead, leaving a long travel to score something. If there were albacore in July we used to sniff lupe on the 5 day trips, but with the check in procedures for that place kinda makes it a go for broke deal.

sierraed, jiggyn, bbuck and 1 other person like this.
  3. chef tom

chef tom Member

Name:
    tom waggoner
    Boat:
    none
    I have been there early July and the fishing was very good. Big yellow tail and yellowfin 20 to 65 lbs !!

4. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    Past trips it was a fall bite

5. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I've been there many times in June both diving and fishing. It's never like it is in the fall. We used to at times get the school size tuna to go and yellowtail fishing could be decent. Especially for jackpot size fish. Calico bass fishing can be un-freaking-believable. As this is prime time for yellowtail we would always clean up at Benito's/Cedros or the upper ridge....then swing by the Lupe ....I saw some nice fish come aboard but never did the quantity ever equal Cedros/Benito's at this time of year. Nothing is ever absolute and things change but these were my experiences.

6. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    My first "long range" trip was a five day skiff trip to Guadalupe in May on the Polaris Supreme. Best damn yellowtail fishing I've ever had, EVER. I shook off 12 to 20 yellowtail a day in the 15++lb range and only kept fish over 25lbs (approximately) couple in the the mid 30's and one topped 40lbs. Had a bunch rock me on 80lb gear with a button down drag in the evenings. It wrecked me for life.

Top two fish were a 237lb and a 105lb bluefin caught kite fishing the trench next to "Monster Rock". Only problem was it was 25 years ago and the fishing has changed. Last time I was there in July 2008, we only fished for finicky Yellowfin, I was told the Bluefin are long gone. I tried yoyo fishing for Yellowtail in 2008 for only a couple trigger fish. I would think the Yellowtail fishing is still unbelievable if you hit it right and fish the right spot. We spent most of our time in the little inlet near Monster Rock on my first trip, didn't fish close to that spot in 2008.

Noah & Scoot and sierraed like this.
  7. timmyd3853

timmyd3853 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
    i remember way back in the dya they went pretty much year round to the island and tuna in spring were normal. BIG bluefin in the alley. i went in april on the sea VENTURE spike was amazing at hooking those damned things. was about a 50/50 deal if you got spooled or not as i remember

sierraed and Olddog8 like this.
  8. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    We ducked in there on a June 8 day. Sam had some dope from another code group boat. I think we caught some tuna but the Yellows were memorable.

sierraed and Olddog8 like this.
  9. sierraed

sierraed Long rods and big boats

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris and Intrepid
    Booked a May/June 5 day trip on the Shogun that they call the Cedros/Benito's Special. The boat said that the Lupe is a possibility depending on conditions and I'm so stoked with possibilities this Spring!

Olddog8 and Tim Turis like this.
  10. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    All you can ever do is pay your money and take your chances... Hope you have an epic trip.

Tom Jr., sierraed and Juanba like this.
  11. Bigfishhateme

Bigfishhateme Semper Fi

Name:
    Sigmund
    Boat:
    "The Sea Monster"
    I'll be there , last week of Nov ..ROYAL POLARIS

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Noah & Scoot likes this.
  12. mooose29

mooose29 Sin Bin

Name:
    Josh R
    Boat:
    Sin Bin
    My first long range trip was in May of 1996. We spent the entire trip in the same spot and caught all the 25-50 pound tuna we wanted, a few 100's and tons of big YT. I was so spoiled I thought all long trips were like that, ha ha. Been there many times since and never experienced anything like that.

Noah & Scoot and Olddog8 like this.
  13. Noah & Scoot

Noah & Scoot Wishin I Was Fishin

Name:
    Scoot
    Boat:
    18’ CC Baja
    Only time there 6/84? 6 day 105 2 days there north end yt to 42lbs pb 39lber for second place JP dropper loop. Had a 35lb fly line Mack! Didn't go south end albies thick outside SD!!! Just gooooooo!!!

Gaffs Down likes this.