Early May at BOLA with Captain Joel Prieto, Jr

KennyKorvina

Jul 21, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ken
Boat
Valco
I only get down to Baja a few times a year so I don't post much!!! We headed down Highway 5 through Mexicali and had an easy border crossing...if you have to get tourist permits it is soooo easy at Mexicali East crossing...parking to the left before crossing and you can pay right there. Giant motorcycle rally was happening in San Felipe so we dealt with them the first part of the journey. Mostly seeing them pulled over trying to work on their bikes! La Ventana was packed! Stopped at San Luis Gonzaga and partied with Captain Juan Cook for a while and his wife Maricela brought out a scallop and yellowtail sashimi plate to die for!!!!!!!!!! Highway 5 was in great shape but don't tell anyone, ok? Big rigs are starting to use it more and more. Stayed at Los Vientos. First day out with Joel the winds were howling! We tried to head north towards Guadalupe Bay but just had to turn back...but Joel has the spirit and we tucked around the back side of Isla Smith for some calm waters and wide open Leopard Grouper casting towards shore. Charkbaits worked the best. A day that could have been a disaster was saved with a full cooler of cabrilla. (That night the winds were easily 30 mph sustained and gusts much higher...even through closed doors and windows sand built up!!!!). Next day much better and headed north again for some wide open Huachinango fishing and other bottom fish...yellows not around. Third day headed south for yellows and birds were diving everywhere. Large yellows at the surface but you had to be quick. Pink and blue deadhead lures and old standby scrambled egg salas did the trick. Harvested some gold spotted bass for the freezer and as always with Joel, the fishing was amazing. Bait was easy with many large mackerels. Water temps around 65'. Also went up to Mission San Borja on our day off and it still is really a great day trip. Highly recommended if you've never done it.

182740762_481438566463548_4026939063087810818_n.jpg

IMG_7939.JPG

IMG_7907.JPG

IMG_7940.JPG

IMG_7938.JPG

IMG_7935.JPG

IMG_7880.JPG

IMG_7886.JPG

IMG_7896.JPG

Beer Goggles

Feb 9, 2007
Trabuco Canyon CA
Name
O
Boat
The Snapper Slapper
Great trip, looks like fun. Me and Matt and another buddy are headed down weds, fishing thurs and friday with Daggetts. Did you pay for the tourist visa? Only reason I ask is the clown at Mexicali tries to charge you and always claims he is "out" of the free 7 day visa. Also charged 60 bucks for my gas cans after he claimed the fine was "$16" dollars. He is a scam artist and a little asshole. We were considering driving thru TJ and taking Hwy 3 at Ensenada to cut over to Hwy 5 at San Felipe. Anyone try this route and have any advice?

Reactions: Dogman619
Upvote 0

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
Name
denis
Boat
deadhead luees
I’ve been around that guy just say his supervisor you contacted said there is a seven day free visa and if you still have an issue
ask for his supervisor All at once he remembers

Reactions: KennyKorvina
Upvote 0

KennyKorvina

Jul 21, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ken
Boat
Valco
How was the road to San Borja?
Well...funny you should ask! Not only did we run into a motorcycle rally headed to San Felipe but there was a huge bicycle event that went across the peninsula and past the mission the day we went! We would slow down for them dust wise and a few we gave water too...they had numerous support cars (many full with riders who had opted out)...it was pretty damn hot...it did not look like fun. The road in general is fine...high clearance is always nice and better off road tires can't hurt...nothing even close to needing 4X4.

Reactions: Dogman619
Upvote 0

KennyKorvina

Jul 21, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ken
Boat
Valco
Great trip, looks like fun. Me and Matt and another buddy are headed down weds, fishing thurs and friday with Daggetts. Did you pay for the tourist visa? Only reason I ask is the clown at Mexicali tries to charge you and always claims he is "out" of the free 7 day visa. Also charged 60 bucks for my gas cans after he claimed the fine was "$16" dollars. He is a scam artist and a little asshole. We were considering driving thru TJ and taking Hwy 3 at Ensenada to cut over to Hwy 5 at San Felipe. Anyone try this route and have any advice?
I have dealt with that clown a few years ago at the main Mexicali crossing. No seven day free visas until his boss showed up and suddenly they were available. But we use the east crossing and the people could not be nicer. He came out to the parking lot to ask what we needed and then took care of us. Gave him a breakfast burrito! That said, we plan to go to Puerto Santo Tomas sometime during the summer so we got the six month visa and paid. You could also cross at Tecate (where you may have to buy some hot sauce from the guy but he is usually pretty nice) and take the toll road over to Mexicali...you come out and hit the 5 well past the main part of the city.

Upvote 0

Rufo

Rufo
May 23, 2006
Around the Way
Name
Bob
Boat
Yes
Great report and can’t go wrong with Joel. Might need to start calling him Capitan Huacginango, lol, he crushes them. Cool pics of the mission.

As far as getting there, crossing at Tecate and going to the 5 through La Rumorosa is a little quicker than going through Ensenada and Ojos Negros. Both are cool drive. If you haven’t been through La Rumorosa, you might try the Tecate crossing and go that way just to do it cause it’s really an interesting road.

Upvote 0