Early Christmas for someone, found 3 hoop nets, lobster report, opening 2 nights.

PENN

Wolfpack

Almost A Member
Oct 20, 2004
Huntington Beach
Name
Karl
Boat
A 51, a 32, an Avon, , and a couple paddle boards :)
DFG has been very aggressive enforcing lobster regs, you will get a ticket if you tail the lobsters, thus if you vaccupack consider wrapping the heads on aluminum foil so they dont poke through. They were searching boats last year that had no fishing equipment or hoop nets on board that were sitting on moorings at catalina. They were also writing tickets for lobsters that were tailed even if you informed them you were going to consume them. If you didn't have water boiling you were considered a violator (that means they did not think the law allowed you to marinate, refrigerate, and BBQ without the heads in tact. The ticket is expensive, I have seen them personally, and I have had conversations with multiple friends in Cherry Cove that DFG attempted to board without probable cause. I respect the DFG, and I respect law enforcement, and I know they have a large responsibility, but I do know that last year they crossed the line on several occasions. I cannot speak for 2019/2020 season. Chalk it up to newbies or a rough day, but know they can and most likely will write you for any borderline infraction as they take the lobster fishery Very seriously.

Upvote 0

Wolfpack

Almost A Member
Oct 20, 2004
Huntington Beach
Name
Karl
Boat
A 51, a 32, an Avon, , and a couple paddle boards :)
you may know better than I as I am not an expert. I do know that they requested to board a friends boat and he told them they have no probable cause and he had no fishing or hoop netting equipment, and they did indeed leave. So while it may have been an assumption on my part that probable cause was necessary, I did find this from CA department of wildlife, here is the link https://californiaoutdoors.wordpres...-level-of-wildlife-officers-search-authority/
and here is the quote I just read:
Answer: In the hunting and fishing context, wildlife officers are authorized to conduct compliance inspections that would likely require warrants or probable cause in other contexts. Hunting and fishing are highly regulated activities. The fish and wildlife belong to the people of the state and not to any individual. Many states, including California, recognize this and have enacted statutes to allow Wildlife Officers to conduct regulatory inspections when interacting with those who are engaged in hunting and fishing activities. Some of these include:

• Authorization to inspect boats, buildings other than dwellings, and containers that may contain fish or wildlife (Fish and Game Code, section 1006)

• Authorization to “enter and examine any…place of business where fish or other fishery products are packed, preserved, manufactured, bought or sold, or to board any fishing boat…or vehicle or receptacle containing fish…and may examine any books and records containing any account of fish caught, bought, canned, packed, stored or sold.” (Fish and Game Code, section 7702)

These people were not engaged in hunting or fishing activities per the above reg, and DFG did leave when it was pointed out that there was no probable cause. I'm not a lawyer, so Ill leave the answer to the professionals. Knowing what happened last year, and while I would read the above regs differently, I think they can and do write tickets and answer questions later, leaving it up to you to fight it in court or file complaint against them. That said I do fully support DFG. Many don't know that you should not tail your lobsters as you will be cited an expensive ticket. I hope this above mentioned advice mentioned by me and others saves someone from an expensive ticket :)

Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Yes, probable cause is necessary for an arrest. Your friends that had no fishing gear on board were correct to not allow them on. But if you have fishing gear on board your boat, they can board you to check for possible illegal take.

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
Billy L going "Full Retard" Lmao
Went to Johns Hoopnet seminar about 12 years ago.
Where was that John ? Somewhere in PV. Condo clubhouse or something. I remember seeing your Danielsons with chain tie wrapped around the base.
Damn that was 12 years ago? I was there

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
DFG has been very aggressive enforcing lobster regs, you will get a ticket if you tail the lobsters, thus if you vaccupack consider wrapping the heads on aluminum foil so they dont poke through. They were searching boats last year that had no fishing equipment or hoop nets on board that were sitting on moorings at catalina. They were also writing tickets for lobsters that were tailed even if you informed them you were going to consume them. If you didn't have water boiling you were considered a violator (that means they did not think the law allowed you to marinate, refrigerate, and BBQ without the heads in tact. The ticket is expensive, I have seen them personally, and I have had conversations with multiple friends in Cherry Cove that DFG attempted to board without probable cause. I respect the DFG, and I respect law enforcement, and I know they have a large responsibility, but I do know that last year they crossed the line on several occasions. I cannot speak for 2019/2020 season. Chalk it up to newbies or a rough day, but know they can and most likely will write you for any borderline infraction as they take the lobster fishery Very seriously.
They don’t take it “seriously” they take it as FUNDING. Tickets are big for some reason, I’ve skated out of them a few times.

Anyone who has ever lobster fished has bent the rules at least once, there are way too many ticky tack rules

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
They don’t take it “seriously” they take it as FUNDING. Tickets are big for some reason, I’ve skated out of them a few times.

Anyone who has ever lobster fished has bent the rules at least once, there are way too many ticky tack rules
Not once ever have i bent the rules,never ! And in reality the rules are very simple.

Reactions: RodRage
Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
Not once ever have i bent the rules,never ! And in reality the rules are very simple.
Ok. How about the law that the lobster is to be measured at the water surface? Have you ever accidentally dumped a short on your deck? I see why nobody posts here anymore... too many keyboard DFG around here.

Back to the basement

Upvote 0

lowprofile

Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
Correct
According to CCR T14, Section 29.90(b), the daily recreational bag limit and possession limit are seven lobsters per person. , regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen or otherwise preserved. This means that if you have a limit of seven lobsters at home, you cannot go out and get more lobsters until the first limit is disposed of in some way (eaten, given away, etc). You may obtain authorization for possessing more lobsters than the possession limit (see Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip, Section 27.15 T14, CCR).
So if you give them away to someone without a license can they be sighted for illegally possessing lobsters?

Lobster regs are mostly bullshit.
5 nets, make sure they’re legal, don’t take more than 7 back to the ramp with you.

Upvote 0

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
  • Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    So if you give them away to someone without a license can they be sighted for illegally possessing lobsters?

Lobster regs are mostly bullshit.
    5 nets, make sure they’re legal, don’t take more than 7 back to the ramp with you.
    You can give it to anybody, licensed or not and go get another 7 the next day.
    5 nets person, up to 10 nets per boat.
    I agree the regulations are too strict but it’s what we have to go by lawfully

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    How many do you have in your freezer? My guess is a lot

Upvote 0

Billy L

• Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    Oh, hell . . .

Buddy and I had a cardboard boat with a 2.5 HP motor. Painted ¼" plywood. Towed an 8' zodiac. It held our gear and was our life support if our shit sank. (which was any moment away.)

One night we netted the Ammo Loading Dock at North Island.

Guy walks out and says, "You can't be here, you need to move away".
    We pretend to start the motor and he leaves.

Later: He comes out and issues a stern warning.
    We again pretend to obey.

10 minutes later a jeep comes out the pier and skids to a stop.
    Guy jumps out with an M16 across his chest.
    Stared out into the distance and shouted, "You must leave the area immediately!"

Oh, shit, motor won't start. We had ores. We used them.

Rowed out 100 feet and tied off to some pilings.
    Apparently they were part of the Ammo Loading Dock.
    Harbor Patrol shows up.

Great ancillary story, I'll cut it short . . .

We rowed 7 hours to get back to Shelter Island.

Harmless fun. :-)
    If everyone here start sharing their stories of when they were young and stupid, this post will go at least 20 pages.
    Mine alone will probably fill at least one page

Upvote 0

lowprofile

Dec 11, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    Sold it
    Not really what I was implying.

Supposedly as a license holder you can only have 7 in possession. You must have a lobster license to do so.
    So anyone without a license that is given lobster would be in violation, correct?

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor

Supposedly as a license holder you can only have 7 in possession. You must have a lobster license to do so.
    So anyone without a license that is given lobster would be in violation, correct?
    No . No license is needed to accept fish or lobster . If you have a wife and 2 kids you can gift a limit to each .
    You could theoretically have 4 limits including your own in your freezer and be legal .

Reactions: FloMar and Billy L
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Hahaha, When I was a stupid kid I bent the rules into a pretzel.
    25 nets, whatever. Lobster season, who cares.

I was 16. I grew up.

Oh, the stories. :D

Sounds familiar Glenn, thank you. John.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Oh, hell . . .

Buddy and I had a cardboard boat with a 2.5 HP motor. Painted ¼" plywood. Towed an 8' zodiac. It held our gear and was our life support if our shit sank. (which was any moment away.)

One night we netted the Ammo Loading Dock at North Island.

Guy walks out and says, "You can't be here, you need to move away".
    We pretend to start the motor and he leaves.

Later: He comes out and issues a stern warning.
    We again pretend to obey.

10 minutes later a jeep comes out the pier and skids to a stop.
    Guy jumps out with an M16 across his chest.
    Stared out into the distance and shouted, "You must leave the area immediately!"

Oh, shit, motor won't start. We had ores. We used them.

Rowed out 100 feet and tied off to some pilings.
    Apparently they were part of the Ammo Loading Dock.
    Harbor Patrol shows up.

Great ancillary story, I'll cut it short . . .

We rowed 7 hours to get back to Shelter Island.

Harmless fun. :-)

I needed that laugh, thank you Glenn!

Upvote 0

Billy L

• Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers

Pretty much what mullet said.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Point out what's too strict.I gotta hear this.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Strictest is to have to keep it whole before ready for consumption. Wrapping it in newspaper to be stored in the freezer is cumbersome.
    That's it ? I don't care for that rule but understand why it's in place.

Upvote 0

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
    Socal, Poway
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    Lund alaskan
    Strictest is to have to keep it whole before ready for consumption. Wrapping it in newspaper to be stored in the freezer is cumbersome.

Well.....then I’m consistently in violation. When I get home I tail em and vacuum seal the tails. Will continue to do so.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Well.....then I’m consistently in violation. When I get home I tail em and vacuum seal the tails. Will continue to do so.
    Forwarded your info to the authorities, expect a knock on your door soon. Have a good day.
    1679967745_preview_FBI.png

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Nice John!! Glad to see your still at it, someone once told me it’s no fun when it’s too easy anyways..

It’s unbelievable how some people can’t keep track of their own gear, they should be held responsible for damage if it were to happen.

It’s been a couple years since I’ve been out hooping, just too busy with other stuff these days
    Wrong!! Sorry... I have had some really good nights and they are better , much better.... Sorry for the Jack.... Continue.

Upvote 0