Early Christmas for someone, found 3 hoop nets, lobster report, opening 2 nights.

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Like clock-work, that's all I can say. Bait is sardines, depth 30 feet, location is ocean, DANIELSON HOOPNETS, my partner and I limited opening night in 12 nets 30 minutes, 1.98 pound average for the 14 lobsters. Limits night 2 which was last night in 12 nets 34 minutes, 1.54 pound average for the 14 lobsters. Found 4 hoop nets, only rescued 3 of them as the 4th was hanging over the rocks and it was to FN windy yesterday to rescue it, but got 3 intact and would like to give them back to the owner without giving away who it is. Nobody wants to answer for losing 4 hoop nets on the opener. Here's the Go-ID with the hope this person will see it here.
GO-ID = 1004795668

Opening night PIC is 14 lobster on the grass.
Last night PIC is both sides of my 80 gallon Pacific Edge split tank.
Also saw the sheriffs trying to pull a boat off V????E Beach last night, pretty big FN boat. For Cry
-Eye be safe out there! Good Luck!

IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0273.jpg IMG_0268.jpg

Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Nice going John,glad to see your still enjoying the salt,you’ve always been a generous guy with fishing/hooping info,hope to see you at the ramp soon!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Nice going John,glad to see your still enjoying the salt,you’ve always been a generous guy with fishing/hooping info,hope to see you at the ramp soon!

You know where I mainly fish and hoop Vic, we'll be back at it tonight. Seaya. John.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Vessel Fishing Gear Requirements: You may possess up to 5 hoop nets while fishing from a vessel, but the total number of hoop nets from a vessel cannot exceed 10, even if there are more than 2 people on the boat

I've had 20 hoop nets on the boat before, what do you think about that!? You need to get out more! Good Luck!

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Vessel Fishing Gear Requirements: You may possess up to 5 hoop nets while fishing from a vessel, but the total number of hoop nets from a vessel cannot exceed 10, even if there are more than 2 people on the boat

That would be a bullshit ticket if you ask me. Pretty sure DFG would understand considering the conditions Sat and Sun night.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Biggest one we had last night was about 7lbs, quality overall was excellent.

Agree whole-heartedly, yesterday on the water chatted with Lifeguard boat, harbor patrol boat, and waved at the sheriff, leaving nets in the water with 100 foot ropes attached is a safety issue, most people use common sense when it comes to this, seaya in a bit.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    John, Good nights for you, know doubt!
    4 nets lost? I think it maybe someone that doesn't have the "system " down. Good on you for getting them back, learning curve can be expensive,

Isn't the rule 7 in possession?

7 in Possession while hooping (Lobster)
    Total 5 nets a person maximum 10 on the boat

All kinds of different info, I have heard no more than 3 days limit in possession at the house, down to no more than a limit allowed in freezer.
    Cant tail them until you consume them...
    SPLITTING HAIRS

I go by the rules on the water , size -right gauge, everyone on board has one, label buoys with go ID etc
    Doubting the F&W going to be pounding on my door

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    26 striper White Knuckles
    Like clock-work, that's all I can say. Bait is sardines, depth 30 feet, location is ocean, DANIELSON HOOPNETS, my partner and I limited opening night in 12 nets 30 minutes, 1.98 pound average for the 14 lobsters. Limits night 2 which was last night in 12 nets 34 minutes, 1.54 pound average for the 14 lobsters. Found 4 hoop nets, only rescued 3 of them as the 4th was hanging over the rocks and it was to FN windy yesterday to rescue it, but got 3 intact and would like to give them back to the owner without giving away who it is. Nobody wants to answer for losing 4 hoop nets on the opener. Here's the Go-ID with the hope this person will see it here.
    GO-ID = 1004795668

Opening night PIC is 14 lobster on the grass.
    Last night PIC is both sides of my 80 gallon Pacific Edge split tank.
    Also saw the sheriffs trying to pull a boat off V????E Beach last night, pretty big FN boat. For Cry
    -Eye be safe out there! Good Luck!

View attachment 1073870 View attachment 1073871 View attachment 1073872
    Your lawn looks very nice, do you have a gardener now?

Reactions: Redline
    Upvote 0

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
  • Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    I've had 20 hoop nets on the boat before, what do you think about that!? You need to get out more! Good Luck!
    Wow! You’re so cocky and so wrong at the same time. Like to see you with that attitude with a fish and game officer.
    Here’s the official regulation. Read it and try to remember it.
    What Mr. Sunshine posted is word for word, the law.
    https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/Invertebrates/Lobster
    By the way, the back of their Khaki uniform says ‘police’.

Upvote 0

Billy L

• Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    Isn't the rule 7 in possession?
    Correct
    According to CCR T14, Section 29.90(b), the daily recreational bag limit and possession limit are seven lobsters per person. , regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen or otherwise preserved. This means that if you have a limit of seven lobsters at home, you cannot go out and get more lobsters until the first limit is disposed of in some way (eaten, given away, etc). You may obtain authorization for possessing more lobsters than the possession limit (see Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip, Section 27.15 T14, CCR).

Upvote 0

Billy L

• Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    That would be a bullshit ticket if you ask me. Pretty sure DFG would understand considering the conditions Sat and Sun night.
    Well, be prepared to get that bullshit ticket. I saw them issuing tickets left and right at the launch.
    There’s no deviation to the regulation regardless of condition or whatever.
    I don’t enjoy pointing this out through these postings. Just don’t want to see any of us get tickets that can be avoided.

Reactions: clevel
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Wow! You’re so cocky and so wrong at the same time. Like to see you with that attitude with a fish and game officer.

The night I had 20 nets on my boat I'd found 10 nets at Catalina the morning after the opener, was checked by DFG the same morning and they understood which 10 nets were mine and which 10 were not mine, and they also understood I removed them for safety reasons. When I hoop where I normally hoop I usually check-in with the lifeguard, the sheriff and DFG because she/DFG is usually on their boat, and the harbor patrol, they all know who I am and what I'm about, and never been ticketed for ANY lobster violation. There's a fine line between being cocky and being confident, and yes I do split hairs for a living. Sure glad I'm nowhere near YOUR fish bowl. Have a blessed night, okay!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Your lawn looks very nice, do you have a gardener now?

We were not as lucky tonight, mother nature handed us our asses, we ended 2 sets of 10 pulls with 3 huge legals and 38 shorts, just snotty all PM and into the evening, also switched spots on a hunch but wrong hunch, oh well can't clobber them every night, although we did get a big thank you from the Fire Dept boat thanking us for removing 2 more hoop nets with 100 foot lines floating on the top of the water in shallow just waiting for someone to power through them. We'll take a day or 2 off and be back at again Mike, and that was Bryans lawn and he's his owner gardener. Seaya. John.

Added
    GO-ID = 1034794862 (2 nets intact)
    7.3 pound lobster

IMG_0311.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    We were not as lucky tonight, mother nature handed us our asses, we ended 2 sets of 10 pulls with 3 huge legals and 38 shorts, just snotty all PM and into the evening, also switched spots on a hunch but wrong hunch, oh well can't clobber them every night, although we did get a big thank you from the Fire Dept boat thanking us for removing 2 more hoop nets with 100 foot lines floating on the top of the water in shallow just waiting for someone to power through them. We'll take a day or 2 off and be back at again Mike, and that was Bryans lawn and he's his owner gardener. Seaya. John.
    Nice John!! Glad to see your still at it, someone once told me it’s no fun when it’s too easy anyways..

It’s unbelievable how some people can’t keep track of their own gear, they should be held responsible for damage if it were to happen.

It’s been a couple years since I’ve been out hooping, just too busy with other stuff these days

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    The floats have a go ID on them, it would be pretty easy to tell 10 nets rigged the same with your actual ID that matches your fishing license from 4 random googan rigged bets with someone else’s go ID on them.

Do warden is going to write a ticket for removing a safety hazard... geez

Upvote 0

Billy L

• Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    The floats have a go ID on them, it would be pretty easy to tell 10 nets rigged the same with your actual ID that matches your fishing license from 4 random googan rigged bets with someone else’s go ID on them.

Do warden is going to write a ticket for removing a safety hazard... geez
    Yes, you could get a ticket for that.
    The word in the law is ‘possess’.
    Also, notice his post said he dropped 12 nets at least twice.
    Also 2, his attitude about the 20 nets when he ripped Mr. Sunshine didn’t say that 10 were others. For all DFG cares, he could have been hooping with the extra nets also.
    The law is the law.
    Not sure why you guys think it fun to ‘split hair’ about it.
    Don’t forget! DFG read these posts also.

Reactions: hbouldin1216
    Upvote 0

Billy L

• Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    The night I had 20 nets on my boat I'd found 10 nets at Catalina the morning after the opener, was checked by DFG the same morning and they understood which 10 nets were mine and which 10 were not mine, and they also understood I removed them for safety reasons. When I hoop where I normally hoop I usually check-in with the lifeguard, the sheriff and DFG because she/DFG is usually on their boat, and the harbor patrol, they all know who I am and what I'm about, and never been ticketed for ANY lobster violation. There's a fine line between being cocky and being confident, and yes I do split hairs for a living. Sure glad I'm nowhere near YOUR fish bowl. Have a blessed night, okay!
    What about a posting with another early Christmas present of those extra 10 nets that you said you did a favor for all of us pulling them because of hazard reasoning,
    You better have that done before you get a ticket if you want to use it as defense in court or is that just made up.
    Or are you planning of keeping “those 10 nets”.
    Not sure why you want to continue to ‘split hair’.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Great job on the bugs!

DFW has had their panties in a wad for the last several lobster seasons. Stuff they normally let slide they are writing tickets for as a revenue generator. I think the word came down from the top brass. So have all your T's crossed and I's dotted, it's the only way to be sure! :D

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Yes, you could get a ticket for that.
    The word in the law is ‘possess’.
    Also, notice his post said he dropped 12 nets at least twice.
    Also 2, his attitude about the 20 nets when he ripped Mr. Sunshine didn’t say that 10 were others. For all DFG cares, he could have been hooping with the extra nets also.
    The law is the law.
    Not sure why you guys think it fun to ‘split hair’ about it.
    Don’t forget! DFG read these posts also.
    LOL!! First off your talking about a guy who has probably forgot more about lobster fishing than you will ever know, second .. what he meant was he got his limits for 2 people in 12 nets. Meaning his first 10 he was close and it took 2 more on the second set to reach his limit for the night.

Yes I agree he COULD get a ticket for having too many nets , but it would be highly unlikely with a proper explanation.

Upvote 0

Billy L

• Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    LOL!! First off your talking about a guy who has probably forgot more about lobster fishing than you will ever know, second .. what he meant was he got his limits for 2 people in 12 nets. Meaning his first 10 he was close and it took 2 more on the second set to reach his limit for the night.

Yes I agree he COULD get a ticket for having too many nets , but it would be highly unlikely with a proper explanation.
    I read the first post again. Sure doesn’t read that way to me but whatever mind reading ability you have for him, my hat is off.
    I’ve seen a lot of his postings and watched his videos on YouTube and it’s no question that he’d lobstered a lot.
    That doesn’t mean he owns the sport and that his points are flawless.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0