E-TEC G2 150 H.O. vs. Yamaha F200 4-Stroke

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ships & Giggles (32' double decker pontoon)
Reactions: Bigeasy

catalin

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2010
Orange County
Name
Catalin
Boat
19ft Design Concepts, 21ft Boston Whaler Justice
Test was sponsored by Evinrude. What results would you expect?
Stick with Yamaha, you will be better in the long run,

bman440440

Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
I understand the bias but... it was not sponsored by Evinrude... he is just an Evinrude dealer and did everything he could to help the yami... now I'n not even hinting that the yami is inferior in any way I just wanted to pass along the apples to apples test... and as you know "boat test.com" is NOT sponsored by Evinrude and here is a quote from them
"A video has been making the rounds on the Internet for the last six months that has created quite a buzz in chat rooms and along the docks. It pits a Yamaha F200 against an Evinrude E-TEC G2 150 H.O. propelling a 25’ (7.62 m) center console. The results are eye-opening. We’ll give the punchline away: the underdog won. But was the test fair? BoatTEST has investigated and found Dave East’s outboard engine shootout to be completely and unarguably honest. The test aptly demonstrates the significant advantage of Evinrude’s E-TEC G2 150 H.O. 2-stroke engine at low and mid RPM ranges vs. a 4-stroke outboard. Can the 4-stroke Yamaha even get the 25-footer on plane? See the video and judge for yourself..."
And I know this will spark another "Ford vs Chevy" kinda debate... I do have a question for you... can you tell me any possible way that he could have "skewed" the results towards Evinrude??

Reactions: Bigeasy

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Find some better sources as they definitely have skin in the game

bman440440

Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
does boat test.com have skin in the game?

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
You could probably do the same test with the i4 Yamaha 200 vs th v6 Yamaha 200 and get the same results...

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
I'm a two stroke guy but this test has a lot of flaws. Even the smaller HO (6 cyl) going up against a 4 cyl Yamaha is not a fair trial. That 200 is a base model motor going up against a hot rod.

Reactions: catalin

catalin

Sep 8, 2010
Orange County
Name
Catalin
Boat
19ft Design Concepts, 21ft Boston Whaler Justice
Looks like Yamaha motor is trimmed wrong

bman440440

Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
I'm a two stroke guy but this test has a lot of flaws. Even the smaller HO (6 cyl) going up against a 4 cyl Yamaha is not a fair trial. That 200 is a base model motor going up against a hot rod.
good point but... and i would like to see it against a 200 v6 anything... but 200 HP is still more HP

Reactions: onehottip

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
good point but... and i would like to see it against a 200 v6 anything... but 200 HP is still more HP
We're on the same side here fellas. I think the results would have been similar against a v6 Yamaha I'm just saying this test is not apples to apples. Displacement is a completely different conversation. I would have taken the highest-displacement 200 and put it up against the G2 to really prove the point and leave no room for arguments. They were also able to swap the Evinrude for a 200 which does lend to a sponsored perception.

Last edited:

knot keely

Aug 9, 2014
The Bight
Name
Dan
Boat
Anderson 22 - Slingshot
You could probably do the same test with the i4 Yamaha 200 vs th v6 Yamaha 200 and get the same results...
I think you’re right. It’s pretty widely accepted that the i4 F200 is a dog, and is really just a more expensive F150 (which is a great motor). I would love to see a test like this pitting the i4 200 against the F150.

I am impressed with the etechs though. I’ve been looking hard and can’t find anyone that is unhappy with them. It’s too early to make any judgements regarding long term dependability though.

Reactions: Canyon

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
That guy really went beyond most trying to test all aspects of his test and reach a results for the public to make their own decision .Would a 6cyl yama do better maybe by a small fraction, but not even close to the etec's numbers. Look at the huge gap in the numbers. The yama was 2.8 c.u and the Etec was 2.7 c.i. The Etec's gear box is bigger and has a better ratio for developing torque. The biggest factor is simple, a 2 stroke making power on every stroke vs the 4 stroke every other. He also swaped out the Etec 150 for the Etec 200 and only gained a small amount of time and speed. That says a lot about the 150 HO. Guys that have love them and they have been around long enough to prove reliable good motors. Yamaha are great motors too, it's just that the yama fan club thinks of Etec's as old school 2 stroke smokers, just not the case now days,,,gregg

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
Yami's are solid motors, Evinrudes in my opinion are better motors all around. I'll keep buying this damn two stroke oil too! Versus sitting in the shop waiting for some egghead to explain why he's charging me up the rear for something that wasn't broken before I came in! Sorry this PTSD shit really hits me at times.

prater

Oct 16, 2007
lake havasu city, AZ
Name
michael
Boat
luhrs 30 open, "Arms Wide Open"
Horrible test. That boat is a Scout 255. Look at their website. With twin F150s top speed 52. Twin 150 mercs top speed also 52. Twin F200s top speed 57. Single G2 300 top speed 57. Top speed in video with one F200 and one G2 150 is 50. The only thing you can say about that test is the boat planes on single G2 engine, and therefore a rational conclusion is there is likely more torque to the prop in the G2. It says nothing else. So the conclusion that the G2 is better may or may not be true, and this test is otherwise meaningless.
Apple to apple test: Twin G2 150 vs. twin F150, or if desired, twin F200s.

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
Kind of rediculous, the host keeps saying he “dare not go to a lower pitch prop for fear of over revving the engine and cause damage”. Then on the test with the “lowest pitch” prop, the Yamaha max RPM was barely over half its rated max RPM. If they wanted to give it a chance, they would have put a prop on that allowed the engine to reach max or near max RPM. I believe that would have at least got the boat on plane. I have seen other 24-25’ boats get on plane with that engine.
The I-4 would not be my choice for an offshore boat, but I believe that was a stupid test.
There is no doubt the E-tech can swing a much larger prop at lower rpm with all that torque.
Also, because of the + or - % allowed in hp from the advertised rating, Yamaha’s are almost always below the advertised hp rating, while Evinrudes (especially HO’s) are above the advertised number.

knot keely

Aug 9, 2014
The Bight
Name
Dan
Boat
Anderson 22 - Slingshot
I’m not sure how you can say it’s a ridiculous test. Same boat, same conditions. One engine clearly yielded better performance than the other. Could you prop down the Yammie even more until you eventually got it to plane? Sure, but then you lose all your speed and performance when running both engines - it’s not realistic or useful to have to drastically change props to get the boat to plane on one motor. The G2 got the boat to plane running the correct prop for the twin application.

If your twin engine boat can’t plane on one motor, then you basically just have one really expensive kicker on the transom - which would be the case if you outfitted the boat with twin i4 F200’s.

Unless your racing, torque is so much more important than horsepower when your talking about boats. That’s why 383 strokers are getting so popular in I/O setups, and why diesels are so desirable.

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
I agree with everything you said Dan, but the fact that the announcer so overtly and dramatically said he feared overrevving the Yamaha (a few times) was the rediculous part becaus he didn’t come close to overrevving. Now it would have overrevved when they ran the boat with both engines at full throttle, but the test was one engine.
I also agree with the fact that if one engine can’t get you up on plane, what’s the point.

Reactions: knot keely

rowdyrosco

sancho
Apr 9, 2009
PSL
Name
ross
Boat
Skipjack 20
There's a reason yamaha motors are sold before they are even made right now. If you have to be different go ahead and buy your e-tec, might as well buy a pair of red spectacles just like elton's while ur at it. Quit fighting it.