Dungeness Crab, area 11

Apr 14, 2013
Federalway wa USA
Name
John
Boat
Big dog
Was down at Point Defiance walking the dog this afternoon and there was plenty of traffic at the launch...This is really gut wrenching. Besides committing a mass homicide and being called a racist is there anything we can do in protest? Really come the F on! Sounds like a bunch of people protested in Olympia on Sunday for a short term cause. This is a long term butt ramming.

mikegilchrist

Mar 1, 2012
Fed Way
Name
Mike
Boat
n/a
There will be a sport season in Area 11 this summer (per email from WDFW shellfish manager). The trick will be setting the sport season. In the past the full summer season the sport harvest has easily surpassed 100,000 lbs when crab abundance was high. It is not so high now, but WDFW will have to figure out how to limit it to 37,500 lbs (if 37,500 is the number, could be less)

Fish_on!

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 17, 2015
Oly
Name
Ben
Boat
18' Super Vee
There will be a sport season in Area 11 this summer (per email from WDFW shellfish manager). The trick will be setting the sport season. In the past the full summer season the sport harvest has easily surpassed 100,000 lbs when crab abundance was high. It is not so high now, but WDFW will have to figure out how to limit it to 37,500 lbs (if 37,500 is the number, could be less)
Did they mention 13?

mikegilchrist

Mar 1, 2012
Fed Way
Name
Mike
Boat
n/a
Nothing new on area 13. Test fisheries did not show much many dungeness.

I have not been alone in asking staff to find a way to open some red rock fishing there. WDFW staff made it a significant part of the discussion at the March advisors meeting.

Reactions: liltrouble

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
First and foremost, thanks for your info and reports. So, I guess what you're saying is after two years of sport season shutdown in MA11, we are WORSE off, than the past full summer season two years ago when they shut it down????

Actually that seems about right, we're fucked no matter what we do.

Thanks again for the info though....

Mr. Doodles

I'm the BIG Dog
Jul 3, 2011
Des Moines WA (Redondo)
Name
Ron
Boat
2002 Trophy "The Doodle Lynn"
Let the carpet bombing begin..just looked out over Redondo and our co managers are doing a fine job of harvesting the the resource im sure there will be nothing left by the time we get a chance..

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
Over the last few days a few different boats/crews working a few strings.

There are two sets (one shallow one deep.) The deep set is almost shrimp territory?

5D219EDB-EAA0-4687-9BED-73629E2CC800.jpeg

7B43579F-910E-441C-98F0-2ADF6D01BC28.jpeg

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
Im kind of shocked that they allow Commercial Crabbing in Commencement Bay.... can only imagine the toxicity of those bottom feeders there.

fishbadger

Apr 6, 2012
WA
Name
fishbadger
Boat
.Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
Nothing new on area 13. Test fisheries did not show much many dungeness.
Thank you for your work on that, and the info. I have a sinking feeling that we might not ever see crab abundance like we did only 6-8 years ago in 13, and eventually in 11 and beyond. The fact that the population in 13 is not recruiting well without big harvest effort is really troubling. There must be something bad happening in addition to the harvest piece (ie. pollutant), there's so much sanctuary area for those crabs, it seems like they should be repopulating better than they are. Not to derail the thread, but, any ideas?

fb

mikegilchrist

Mar 1, 2012
Fed Way
Name
Mike
Boat
n/a
Area 13 has had its own problematic history on the crab fishing side, but that is secondary to the root cause.

There are no scientific studies that can tell exactly what happened in 13 (and 11), but what is known is that there was (is?) a multiple year window of time when crab reproduction largely failed. There has been no method used to detect this so the first warning the crab managers had that a problem could exist is when the test fisheries started to show very few undersized males in the pots (undersized would be mostly 1 year from harvest size). By the time the evidence of a problem was conclusive, we already knew there was a problem because the number of legal sized males available for harvest had fallen off a cliff because few young males were reaching harvest size.

Other stuff:
  • MA 13 is not great Dungeness habitat compared to other parts of the sound. Dungeness are not happy with warm water and MA 13 has a lot of shallows that heat up. The very young crab use the near shore. Also, Red Rock are better with warm water and it would seem they have a competitive edge.
  • Studies show that Dungeness have a problem with acidification. That could another part of the problem. Area 13 does not get much flush through the narrows.
  • It is not known if the Dungeness population in 13 is completely self sustaining. There is some evidence that the large swings in numbers are due to years of very high larva counts originating in other ares being flushed into MA 13.
  • South Hood Canal is in a very similar place... if not slightly worse. Certainly has failed to recover for more years. This makes me concerned for 13.

Last edited:

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
Area 13 has had its own problematic history on the crab fishing side, but that is secondary to the root cause.

There are no scientific studies that can tell exactly what happened in 13 (and 11), but what is known is that there was (is?) a multiple year window of time when crab reproduction largely failed. There has been no method used to detect this so the first warning the crab managers had that a problem could exist is when the test fisheries started to show very few undersized males in the pots (undersized would be mostly 1 year from harvest size). By the time the evidence of a problem was conclusive, we already knew there was a problem because the number of legal sized males available for harvest had fallen off a cliff because few young males were reaching harvest size.

Other stuff:
  • MA 13 is got great Dungeness habitat compared to other parts of the sound. Dungeness are not happy with warm water and MA 13 has a lot of shallows that heat up. The very young crab use the near shore. Also, Red Rock are better with warm water and it would seem they have a competitive edge.
  • Studies show that Dungeness have a problem with acidification. That could another part of the problem. Area 13 does not get much flush through the narrows.
  • It is not known if the Dungeness population in 13 is completely self sustaining. There is some evidence that the large swings in numbers are due to years of very high larva counts originating in other ares being flushed into MA 13.
  • South Hood Canal is in a very similar place... if not slightly worse. Certainly has failed to recover for more years. This makes me concerned for 13.
Any other inside scoop?

fishbadger

Apr 6, 2012
WA
Name
fishbadger
Boat
.Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
Thanks Mike, for taking the time to post that up.

I think that folks would be wise to use an extra brain cell or two, and look more closely at it than just tribal harvest.

fb

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
Haven't crabbed the southern part of hood canal for 10 years because it became a ghost town (South like Happy Hollow area).

1997-2000 you could let a pot sit for 30 minutes and have a limit.

There was no commercial pressure in this area and lots of talk about oxygenation of the water....but I've never been back to see if it recovered.

An old timer said there were cycles of bad years but the bad years only lasted a few years compared to what they were seeing at the time (that was maybe 2010).

Let's hope MA13/11 doesn't suffer the same fate.

Mr. Doodles

I'm the BIG Dog
Jul 3, 2011
Des Moines WA (Redondo)
Name
Ron
Boat
Has anyone heard how the harvest is going in MA11? Size and quantity? After 2 years with no crabbing it would be interesting to know what they are getting.

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
From what i saw of the deep set I pictured above after 4 hr soak of the 10 pots i saw from the string, resulted in one crab. — This said I’m not surprised, it was not a good place to drop. But no crab is a not for for anyone. (I would like to see what the east side from Dash Pt to Des Moines is doing. Quartermaster too.)

Mr. Doodles

I'm the BIG Dog
Jul 3, 2011
Des Moines WA (Redondo)
Name
Ron
Boat
From what i saw of the deep set I pictured above after 4 hr soak of the 10 pots i saw from the string, resulted in one crab. — This said I’m not surprised, it was not a good place to drop. But no crab is a not for for anyone. (I would like to see what the east side from Dash Pt to Des Moines is doing. Quartermaster too.)
I did watch through my spotting scope when theh were picking pots out of Redondo and saw them tossing lots back they were tossing them as far as they could from the boat could not tell if they had any keepers or not

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
Of course shrimp is open, but probably 9am to 1pm just one day like we typically get for MA11....right???