Dumbass whale wars guys...

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by grander007, Oct 7, 2010.

1. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
  2. oldmanadam

oldmanadam Newbie

Name:
    adam lahne
    Boat:
    22' fiberform "amateur hour"
    great story. Kinda like when watson claimed to have been shot by the Japanese

3. ALOHABIRD

ALOHABIRD Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    22+2 Grady White ShaniaRegina
    Good Point! Hey I'm all for conservation but when does this go over the limit on the amount of Whales in our oceans! Scientist in Alaska are getting concern on the amount of Humpback Whales and their Feeding Habits! The stocks on what they are feeding on are getting less and less as their population grows! In the Winter they are everywhere here in Hawaii and probably eating tons too! I remember hearing in the old days that the Humpbacks don't feed when they come to Hawaii they make their long trip here and back to Alaska without eating! Well let me tell you thats not true Today! I've seen them eating here right on the 50 Fathom!
    Bottomline you gotta take a little of everything in the Ocean to equal out the System! And what about these [email protected]@kin Pilot Whales their everywhere! Aloha

4. 808shorecaster

808shorecaster Member

Ahhh Whale Wars on my my most favorite comedies. Its brings a smile to my face to see them fail. They should spend more time fighting the real problems and stop harassing fisherman that are following the law. Yes what the whalers are doing might be appalling but they are still conducting themselves within the law.

5. Dakine_Malihini

Dakine_Malihini Newbie

Name:
    Dakine_Malihini
    Boat:
    Extra Large Tabis

Humpback whales are baleen whales. They feed laregely on krill and very tiny fish.

They barely eat, if at all, while in Hawaiian waters, since they are concentrating on giving birth, and breeding.

Their is no need for people to "balance" the system when it comes to whales.
    It balances itself.

6. Dakine_Malihini

Dakine_Malihini Newbie

Name:
    Dakine_Malihini
    Boat:
    Extra Large Tabis
    The Japanese aren't interested in "scientific research". They do commercial whaling using that loophole. In the meantime, they make an effort to bring whale meet into their schools in order to give their children a taste for it.

I agree that it's hard to know who to root for on "Whale Wars". The captain is an asshole, and his crew are a pretentious clowns.....but I certainly don't root for the phony "research" that the Japanese are doing.

7. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...

Do you call pacific herring very tiny fish? They're about the size of opelu and humpbacks gorge themselves on them in Alaska. I wouldn't put it past a male humpback to swallow a baitball. Unless it was busy giving birth and raising its calf... :rolleyes:

8. Dakine_Malihini

Dakine_Malihini Newbie

Name:
    Dakine_Malihini
    Boat:
    Extra Large Tabis

Regardless, Humpback whales starve themselves while they are in Hawaii.

They've got a one track mind while they're here...and it's not about
    eating.

The idea that people should be "balancing them out" while they're
    here is ridiculous.

9. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    I'll certainly concede that, but at the same time, the Sea Shepherd morons are pirates on the high seas. As I've said in the past, I spend a considerable part of my life attempting to reduce the number of pirates on the worlds oceans, and it really pisses me off to see them interfering with legal fishing, no matter how morally wrong that fishing venture may be. The whaling practices of the Japanese and Icelanders need to be addressed in the world's courts not by some starry eyed undergrads lead by a lunatic trying to disable F/V's in the worlds most hostile ocean.

Although you may feel differently, human lives come before animals. Anyone that says different has lost the plot.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  10. Dakine_Malihini

Dakine_Malihini Newbie

Name:
    Dakine_Malihini
    Boat:
    Extra Large Tabis

As I said in the above post, the Sea Shepherd guys are obnoxious (but so is everyone in "reality" TV format) but I don't think that is a reason to root for the Japanese. The few times I've managed to watch that show, I've been hoping for them to mutually disable one another.

What I saw being suggested early on in this thread is that whales should be "culled" like Deer, because they are eating fish. Well, there may be no natural predators left to kill deer herds in the Eastern U.S. (or on Maui, for that matter,
    where they never belonged in the first place) but whales live in an environment where there are plenty of natural predators and dangers.

11. grander007

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    I think they should be hunted using prison laborers and used to make high protein processed food for UNICEF to use in the 3rd world and China, where kids literally crawl through garbage to find food to survive.

12. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    Spoken like someone who's never been a thousand miles from shore in water that's just above freezing. I don't want anyone to be disabled out there. Like I said, human lives mean more to me than whales. You obviously feel differently. It's not as though the Japanese whalers are out killing babies for soup.

I don't like them whaling. But I'm not going to risk injuring anyone or get anyone killed over it...

13. Simon Bon Bowery

Simon Bon Bowery Lizard Fish Hippie

Name:
    Simon
    Boat:
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    It doesn't matter what culture humans are from, as long as the food source is sustainable eat and enjoy.....

14. Dakine_Malihini

Dakine_Malihini Newbie

Name:
    Dakine_Malihini
    Boat:
    Extra Large Tabis

You took that comment far too seriously.

I'm not the one out there playing chicken with another boat.

By the way "You obviously..." is one of those silly generlizations that it's best to steer clear from while interacting through a message board.

15. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    No one should be out there playing chicken with another boat. That's my point.

16. grander007

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
  17. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho

It sounds like insurance motivated drama.

World's most inept terrorists.

18. SloTroller

SloTroller Newbie

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    McKee Craft Southporter 17.5', MaryTime
    Nature eventually regulates itself. Put us into the situation (top predator) and we become part of that "natural" system. Before humans developed industrial fishing methods, marine creatures ate up whatever was there. If the predator population became large enough, they'd migrate to bluer pastures or eventually starve. The population regulates itself through movement and if stressed, reduced fertility or increased mortality.

You'll see this kind of self-regulation in microbes. Single-celled creatures will steadily consume nutrients suspended around them. As they multiply, the waste products they produce becomes more concentrated in their environment (unless currents or some other means removes it).

Eventually the waste products kills off the micro organisms. And what remains is a high concentration of the microbial waste: alcohol.

That's how beer is made.

Which ends up in the boat's cooler and, if over consumed, can reduce fishing activity and possibly make the fishery a bit more sustainable.

That's the grand, unified theory of how nature regulates itself.

19. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    Who do WE (anybody) think we are, to prohibit a culture from doing what it has been doing for centuries? Seems a little self-righteous to me.

Paul Watson and the whole SeaSchlepard organization are nothing more than attention whores who have found a way to galvanize the environmentalists into donating $$$. They have no business interfering with whalers......and at some point, somebody is going to get killed out there. That is what the enviros want......it will bring in more $$$.

But, its comedy at its finest.....can you imagine the "out-takes" that dont make it on the show?

20. ALOHABIRD

ALOHABIRD Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    22+2 Grady White ShaniaRegina
    BOTTOM LINE Last count I could find on Population of the North Pacific Humpback Whale was around 20,000 in the year 2006! I can't imagine the count 4 years Later if they were only 600 in the late 60's! If they don't control the Population of these beast this will some day devastate stocks of Herring and Shrimp and what ever they eat would be devastated and so will other Pelagic Fish that feed on these stocks too! Like I said the Scientist in Alaska are already concerned in this matter but the Tree hugging Whale Environmentalist want all this quite!!!