Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I'm in the process of making some loop to loop leaders. I'm going to store my leaders, by size, in heavy duty plastic sandwich bags. My question is how do you guys wrap these so that when you make to L to L connection, the leader line unfolds properly without getting tangled up?

I know some will suggest wrapping them on a leader spool. Well, I ain't go none!

Upvote 0

Juanba

CR
Apr 11, 2014
Pt Loma
Name
John John John
Boat
Kayak,Gregor, Panga, Long Range SD
John
Make sure you secure your loop end with a twist tie securing the loop so it can not get twisted in your wound leader. I suggest using three around the circle of leader total.
Attach your windon then try and be
slow and deliberate un winding your leader.
Remove your twist ties then
have a friend slowly unwind your wind-on while you reel it on slow

Upvote 0

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
I Just coil them up, hold them together with a couple small peaces of twist ties and a peace of masking tape to mark pound, length and mono or floro.

Upvote 0

REK

Oct 21, 2006
Oasis
Name
Ron
Boat
rowboat
A twist tie or two. Once you do the loop to loop, hold the twist tie, move the coil of topshot away from the loop/loop and towards the tag. Like an electrician snake. No tangles.

Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
I have found that in the heat of the battle when you need to change out a top shot in a hurry the spool works best. I started saving FC spools and then bought some empties from Basil at BHP Tackle. I wind all the same FC size on one spool. Small piece of tape on the FC end, the wind snugly until I get to the spectra loop, I tape it to the spool side and number it starting with #1. I then add others doing the same thing until the spool is full. All of my TSs are 20' and depending on the FC size I can get from only one on a spool to 4 or 5. It is then so easy to replace the topshot, with two hands you can do the loops and then by holding the spool between your flings you simple wind it on.

The coils work fine but I found in the heat of the battle I needed something I could do in just a minute or two.

.....my two cents.

Luke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

stank

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 16, 2005
Bangkok
Name
Dave
Boat
None
Seriously, sandwich bags, twist-ties & rubber-bands?

Is there not some anodized (preferably expensive) engraved accessory that works almost as well that I can buy for this?

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Seriously, sandwich bags, twist-ties & rubber-bands?

Is there not some anodized (preferably expensive) engraved accessory that works almost as well that I can buy for this?

LOL.

To respond to the OP, I've used the baggie and twist tie method, and it works and is compact. But as someone also noted, the spools are indeed quicker and easier in the heat of battle. Maybe a compromise--bring most of them nice and compact in the baggie, and then re-load a spool of the most used sizes during downtime and keep the spool handy during the bite???

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I use the sandwich-sized bags (ziplock freezer), I don't use anything to hold the coil, and I don't seem to have any trouble.

I have an old CD spindle, and when I finish making a wind-on leader, I coil it up by wrapping it around the spindle, then slide it off and put it into the bag. Since I in-line splice (no loop), what I have is essentially a tag end. I make sure that when I put the wind-on in the sandwich bag, that tag end is near the top of the bag.

When the time comes to splice on a new leader, I only take about four feet out of the bag, then "zip" it closed so the leader doesn't kink on itself. Once the splice is done, I take the rest of the leader out of the bag, uncoil it by hand...what? 30 seconds?...toss the empty bag, wind up the slack, tie on a hook, and I'm ready to go. I probably could save some seconds using a spool instead, but the big time eater is if you have trouble with connecting your loop-to-loop (or making your splice). That's where seconds turn to minutes.

John, I'm curious about something, though. What line class are we talking about here? I know your yearly trip is the Gallagher 8-day. Most people I know only use loop-to-loops for 80lbs and up (I actually mostly only use wind-ons for 130lbs and up). In my mind it's really a cow-fishing technique. I find it faster, easier, and just as effective to use a Pena knot in anything under 100lbs. Labor Day trip... Are you using loop-to-loop wind-ons for 40lbs? Really?

Upvote 0

pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now GW Gulfstream
Can't take credit for this, learned it from Gary Keller: staple two paper plates back-to-back. They make a large diameter spool, are thin, and the edges of the paper plates stands up enough to open a slot for the leader. Then, you can write the test/length on the paper plate.

Upvote 0

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I use the sandwich-sized bags (ziplock freezer), I don't use anything to hold the coil, and I don't seem to have any trouble.

I have an old CD spindle, and when I finish making a wind-on leader, I coil it up by wrapping it around the spindle, then slide it off and put it into the bag. Since I in-line splice (no loop), what I have is essentially a tag end. I make sure that when I put the wind-on in the sandwich bag, that tag end is near the top of the bag.

When the time comes to splice on a new leader, I only take about four feet out of the bag, then "zip" it closed so the leader doesn't kink on itself. Once the splice is done, I take the rest of the leader out of the bag, uncoil it by hand...what? 30 seconds?...toss the empty bag, wind up the slack, tie on a hook, and I'm ready to go. I probably could save some seconds using a spool instead, but the big time eater is if you have trouble with connecting your loop-to-loop (or making your splice). That's where seconds turn to minutes.

John, I'm curious about something, though. What line class are we talking about here? I know your yearly trip is the Gallagher 8-day. Most people I know only use loop-to-loops for 80lbs and up (I actually mostly only use wind-ons for 130lbs and up). In my mind it's really a cow-fishing technique. I find it faster, easier, and just as effective to use a Pena knot in anything under 100lbs. Labor Day trip... Are you using loop-to-loop wind-ons for 40lbs? Really?

Jim, I use loop to loop for most everything these days; 40# and up. To me it eliminates one connection and is easy to swap out. Prior to this year, I bought all my top shots from JAK who makes wonderful leaders. He puts them in plastic bags and I figured he wrapped them around something to keep them perfectly straight. The idea is the CD spindle is perfect. I pre-make my loops in the spectra and then do the insertion, glue (and nail knot) then wrap.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Jon, if it works for you, I think that's great. I wouldn't want to do it that way...it seems to me that it's a lot of work for such lightweight connections, and I really like the Pena Knot. But that is just my opinion, and that should definitely not carry much weight.

If you don't have a CD spindle, you can use the bottom of an empty Chivas bottle. I know you don't drink, but there's no rule against wrapping line around the bottle, is there? I have used an empty wine bottle too, but that gives a pretty small-diameter coil.

Trick: wrap the coil at a deliberate pace, and allow the line to un-kink itself as you wind. This helps the coiled line lie flat on its own, and give you fewer problems when you take it out of the bag.

Upvote 0