dumb question about sushi/sashimi

Discussion in 'Fishing and Hunting Cooking Recipes' started by bitesomthing, Jan 2, 2005.

1. bitesomthing

bitesomthing Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    always upgrading
    im sure this has been asked many times before but i have not utilized the food forum to full extent, i am really getting in to the sushi/ sashimi and want to start prepearing for myself, not to sure how to do it properly though, thought maybe you guys could give me a few pointers, Do i freeze first? do i not freeze? will these methods work for all fish types such as halibut, yt, ablacore and so on? any advice will be great thank.
    Chris
    Bitesomthing 20 ft proline

2. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Search the food forum. There was a huge post about this a few weeks back.

Halibut = wormy

Yellowtail = awesome

Albacore = Make sure you sear the outside.

Good luck.

3. Neill

Neill Member

Name:
    Neill
    Boat:
    18ft inboard aluminum....
    I eat what I can when I catch it, caught, bled, iced, sashimi and eat..
    Then I will clean and prepare fillets, vacuum pack and freeze.
    A fillet that has all the bloodline removed, is in prime shape ie. not canning material, paper towel dried(never wash your tuna fillets with fresh water) and carefully vacuum packed will be high grade sashimi many months in the future.
    It's all about the preparation...
    Neill

4. Bajangler

Bajangler Rock Star

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Sold
    I don't think you want to do halibut or any bottom fish.

5. Sherrita

Sherrita Steve

Name:
    Steve Perry
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin
    I like to cut thin, add soy sauce and chill for 10 minutes.

6. Surfdoc

Surfdoc The finger in the Dyke!

Name:
    Stan
    Boat:
    Mx Panga, MOJAC
    Thats how they did 4 trays for us at the Coral... awsome!!!!!

7. Mean-Machine

Mean-Machine Newbie

Name:
    Mean-Machine
    Boat:
    someday
    Yeah I am in the learning mode as well. I saw a Sushi School at the Fred Hall Show. Their new location is in Hermosa Beach. http://www.sushi-academy.com or
    [email protected] "California Sushi Academy" They have several courses available including one day classes up to a full Academy. Good luck...

8. blowboater

blowboater Fishing with Papa

Name:
    Joel
    Boat:
    35' cheoy lee - Sold
    halibut is awesome sashimi - hirame in japanese.

9. shinerunner

shinerunner BARKING MOONBAT

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none
    Cris,
    First batch of trash fish we haul in.....I'll show you what to do, its easy

10. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    halibut CHEEK sashimi..........mmmmmmmmmmmm.

11. BabyGiant

BabyGiant 6nm from Dana Point

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    24' Robalo, REEL TROUBLE
    Neill is 100% on the ball-I do the same thing on the water everytime catch-clean-chill- eat- crack a fresh brew- don't forget the Wasabi(I have found in every supermarket just ask- some sell a pre-made tube and it's super strong- I like it!!) I read a cool thread about the Meat Man I gonna look for a link so I can post it with this thread. Basically I was thinking I needed a flash freezer to have prime sashimi grade filets in the freezer- what I found out was that they cost more than my boat. so what you need to do it make plenty of space in your freezer and turn down to the coldest setting 12-24 hours before you plan on freezing...our standard standup freezer can go sub-zero and floor freezers (Mine a cheapo I got at Homedepot) gets down to -30 F. Proper prep is the only thing that will give you a great product months down the line. Make sure it to Pat meat dry with Paper towels- vaccum pack and place on racks in freezer- do not stack and do not allow any other filets to touch each other- the key is to have plenty of ventilation around the filets to freeze them as quickly as possible. NOW ONCE FROZEN- you want to stack and fill in all cracks and crannies in the freezer- a well pack freezer works better at maintaining temps---news paper works great as a filler. The problem with a stand up freezer is everytime you open the door cold goes out and heat comes in. so what happens to the meat is it slightly warms and cools- this process causes freezer burn to take place fast and alters the flavor especially fish

I have heard Halibut got worms. I have NEVER TRIED THIS so its up to you but what I have heard is you take your butt filet and put it on ice and put that in your fridge for a day- supposedly the worm leave the cold meat. I don't know- and I am not very interested in finding this out the hard way...

Sashimi -Yellow Tail and Tuna- Chill on ice for a few hours to allow meat to firm up- Required*** is a super sharp knife- best if you have a sharpener with you so you can sharpen right before- when making your cuts do not cut in a sawing motion as this will tear most fish meats- Best Cutting motion is good amount of downward pressure and drag the blade in one motion, you should be able to go thru the meat with one slice. Some people say you need to cut agaist the direction of meat which means start from where the head of the fish was and cut towards the tail...Personally I don't care- a sharp knife has always worked fine for me. You will notice on some fish towards the top or near the tail they will have white ligaments- I don't use them for sashimi too chewy for me.

Article about freezers you should know: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitchen/freezers/fullstory.html

Ask the Meat Man Link: How to prevent freezer burn
    http://www.askthemeatman.com/how_to_freeze_meat_updated_9300.htm

The site is full of good info on packaging food- Check the "Our Articles" section for quick links

In case you're wonderin why I give such a damn- I hated it when I would grab a tasty looking filet out of freezer from last season totally amped and it just stunk- so I thought I would need a flash freezer and in my quest for know-how realized I already had what I needed.

12. Mark66

Mark66 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    27' Cat
    Thanks, I think I may have learned something.

13. Sherrita

Sherrita Steve

Name:
    Steve Perry
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin
    If it ain't pure white meat ( blood - ligament, ect ) I cut it off.

I never freeze for sashimi, personally, as in wasabi, dosen't let me taste the fish.

14. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    a Japanese girl like I did. She won't let me do anything but catch the fish. Bring it home gutted and chilled she does the rest...

15. c-goat

c-goat HELL BENT FOR FEATHER

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    A few days ago I broke out a vac pac of YF from last oct(5 mons old).There is no way that I could eat this shashimi style.Even after it is grilled,its just not as enjoyable as fresh.It is still good,mind you,just not as enjoyable IMO.