mrkrabs

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 3, 2009
Santee/ca/usa
Name
Marty
Boat
Lard ass
Simons avatar is right out there. Maybe he is fantasizing a little bit. Maybe he saw the donkey show in Mexico. mrkrabs

Upvote 0

I'M OFF

Really off
Jul 12, 2007
On the deck
Name
Tommy
Boat
I recently purchased an 89' 256 that has a 200 gallon fuel tank; I was saving my pennies for the outboard bracket refinish but now.... Do I assume that the tank is under the ice chest / storage compartment? anymore pics on cabos much appreciated!! dammit, I just want to fish!

You should have a hatch or two where you can inspect the fill tube and for the sending unit.

Upvote 0

scwafish

Obsessed with fish
Jun 19, 2009
Nor Cal
www.gwkc.com
Name
Sean
Boat
Radoncraft 18
A well installed naked aluminum tank in foam will last at least 30 years and have fantastic uniform support. Its not a terrible idea but frequently poorly executed and has gotten a bad rap. Many first tier boat builders still do it this way. If you glass the top of the foam its still one of the best ways ever developed, especially if the top surface has limber holes or drains to the bilge.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
A well installed naked aluminum tank in foam will last at least 30 years and have fantastic uniform support. Its not a terrible idea but frequently poorly executed and has gotten a bad rap. Many first tier boat builders still do it this way. If you glass the top of the foam its still one of the best ways ever developed, especially if the top surface has limber holes or drains to the bilge.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Sorry, but his software would not let me post after loading the above quote while on the iPhone.

I think 30 years is the upper limit on a tank that was foamed in. The tank on my 1983 Blackman 20 gave it up last year. I guess in the scheme of things, 30 years is a lot longer than most recreational boats last. Definitely a lot longer than most 2 stroke outboards will last. So the manufactures have no motivation to do more in this area. Boat building is typically by small manufacturers who come and go. It's not like they are well capitalized auto manufacturer that an attorney could target with litigation over a defect. They'd just fold up the tent in the face of litigation and move on.

Not looking forward to the job of replacing the tank on my Blackman as I may have to cut the foward deck.

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
Tommy, whatever you do, keep in mind that you need good support, ventilation and drainage, however you decide to re mount the tank. Expansion, vibration and pounding on the tank is happening every time you run the boat. What a fucking big job, the manufacturer should be shot for doing it that way in the first place...

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Gawd, that sucks.
My friend and I had a similar experience with his 2320 Parker Pilot House.
Smelled fuel, opened engine hatch, sure enough, gas in the bilge.
Opened up the deck and the top of the tank had dozens of little pits that started leaking.
Ripped the tank out cleaned everything up got the new tank but before installing (recommend this) paint the tank with oil rig anti-fouling paint.
Tough stuff (and VERY expensive) basically seals the metal from any moisture.

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Don't foam the tank. Buy some strips of starboard plastic and lay them under the tank. Foam is the worst thing to put there. These damn boat manufacturers only build these boats to last 10 years, after that they dont give a crap.

Reactions: I'M OFF
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Tommy, whatever you do, keep in mind that you need good support, ventilation and drainage, ...

Are you talking about Tommy's fuel tank or your requirements in an undergarment here?.........

Reactions: I'M OFF
Upvote 0

I'M OFF

Really off
Jul 12, 2007
On the deck
Name
Tommy
Boat
After talking with Vince @ American Tanks, He is making some aluminum braces with rubber pads. No foam is what he said. I'm going with his recommendations since he has been doing this for 40 years. Parkers idea of foam is still holding true as this is still the way they manufacture their boats. Cutting it out was a bitch, but what isn't when dealing with boats. I should have a new tank in 10 days. I'm yanking my batteries out of the bilge too. I will make glassed boxes this weekend. My whole interior of the boat is Ryno lined, so that makes for another headache.

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
Are you talking about Tommy's fuel tank or your requirements in an undergarment here?.........

I was referring to Tommy's fuel tank problem. Now that you mention it though, my statement could have applied to your stopping up that poor old ladies toilet the other day when you were "assisting" me...:finger:

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
I was referring to Tommy's fuel tank problem. Now that you mention it though, my statement could have applied to your stopping up that poor old ladies toilet the other day when you were "assisting" me...:finger:
I'm certain I didn't stop it up...That purge didn't contain much solid matter.

Good luck with the rig Tommy!

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2009
HB
Name
Mike
Boat
Shamrock CC
I'm impressed, I know a lot of guys that would've blown it off......(if its running fuk it)......you did the right thing looking for the issue.

Upvote 0

Artie Lange

Jun 24, 2012
pa
Name
Tim
Boat
24' custom built w/a
i would like to know how you are making out with replacing your tank cause that's what i am doing now also

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Still waiting on the tank, but been doing wiring projects, moving batteries forward out of the bilge and such

Relocating batteries using the previous quality extension cord system???:D

Upvote 0

I'M OFF

Really off
Jul 12, 2007
On the deck
Name
Tommy
Boat
Well........Pachodie should be here in an hour and we will be putting her back together. New tank and all

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Good luck with the install. If time allows, take photos.

Here's what I'm facing on the leaking diesel tank of my Blackman 20:

Basically, I've got diesel whicking it's way up the bulkhead at the rear of the tank and soaking through the deck. I had completely redone that deck in 2000 and it's looking like I have to redo it again. The job was done so well, there was not a soft spot or any delaminated glass in it. It's going to be a PITA to get the glass off to access all the screws holding the deck to the support stringers. Then I imagine I'll have to chip out all the foam around the tank as I imagine that it's diesel soaked. Bulkhead will have to be replaced. Long messy job. Probably can't start in on it until next fall.

Upvote 0