Dude, I smell gas……….

I'M OFF

Really off
Jul 12, 2007
On the deck
Name
Tommy
Boat
That's what my buddy said when we were out hooping a couple a weeks ago. Sure, I farted from the carne burrito but he said it wasn't that. So I start checking out my boat hatches for the fuel tank, and its pretty strong smell. Fuk. Now I have to take off the T-top, take out the console, take bait tank out,and cut the floor open. Saturday, we did just that. A lot of labeling of wires, a lot of cursing, empty the gas to the truck, some beer, and started cutting the floor. After finally getting the floor up, next task was getting that tank out. Foam encased! Well it did end up popping out in one piece. Floor jack rigged above it, and pop! Holy shit, 10-15gallons of fuel in the tank compartment. No drains anywhere, soaked gasoline foam, and pitted out 1990 aluminum tank.
BOMB!
Here are the pics so far. Getting new tank made at American Tanks in La Mesa.
IMG_2266.JPG

Before
IMG_2286.JPG

here is what was under the tank
IMG_2290.JPG

here are some pits in the tank bottom
IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

So, should I install a thru drain from this tank compartment that will drain into the bilge?

Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
Pictures show up fine for me....

Tommy,
Are you done yet? :D
Wile you rig is down your more than welcome to fish with us..
Let me know...

Reactions: I'M OFF
Upvote 0

Crashburn

Executive Board Member
Feb 26, 2013
Dog Beach Mostly
Name
Mike
Boat
Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !
Lucky you didn't become a statistic Tommy, is that hole in your tank a spot that was rubbing on something or just age and rot. I've been a 1/4 mile away from a boat when in blew up and that was way to close.

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
holy crap!!! on that note replace with a polly tank... the reason your aluminum tank started to pit was there was moisture caught between it and the foam... im sure if you look its in the area where the foam was. go polly and 2 part foam and never worry again! :hali_olutta:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
That could have been tragic.

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
Concerns about draining possible gas leak into bilge...gas+electricity to bilge pump+ bilge pump turning on= BOMB for sure...

Doesn't work that way - Bilge pump & bait pumps are sealed. I got a similar leak in my Invader tank while hooping years ago - didn't notice until I turned the bilge pump on and smelled gas - probably pumped a few gallons.

The main problem occurs with a gasoline inboard - especially one that doesn't have the marine shielded starter & alternator that can produce ignition sources.

Upvote 0

I'M OFF

Really off
Jul 12, 2007
On the deck
Name
Tommy
Boat
Lucky you didn't become a statistic Tommy, is that hole in your tank a spot that was rubbing on something or just age and rot. I've been a 1/4 mile away from a boat when in blew up and that was way to close.

Yeah it seems everywhere it was in contact with the foam it was rotted

1990….......

Your'e smart

Concerns about draining possible gas leak into bilge...gas+electricity to bilge pump+ bilge pump turning on= BOMB for sure...

So is everyones tank compartment sealed?

Upvote 0

I'M OFF

Really off
Jul 12, 2007
On the deck
Name
Tommy
Boat
Doesn't work that way - Bilge pump is sealed. I got a similar leak in my Invader tank while hooping years ago - didn't notice until I turned the bilge pump on and smelled gas - probably pumped a few gallons.

That is more what I was thinking……..I'm moving my batteries up top out of the bilge also.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Don't worry about draining the compartment. Just get a new tank and coat it to avoid corrosion.

I can't remember the name of the stuff but I'm sure American tanks will know it.

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
That is more what I was thinking……..I'm moving my batteries up top out of the bilge also.

I had Vince (American Tanks) build me a custom "V" tank for my 17' Invader - it's 60 gallon and a perfect fit. I replaced the entire floor and built recessed areas into the stringers to match the mounting tabs that Vince welded on. I did a test fit with modeling clay underneath the tank along the keel in the closest fit areas - removed the tank and built custom large rubber snubbers from the clay imprints - these are mounted to the keel to absorb shock and lighten the load on the welded on tabs. Pretty cool having a 17' boat with 60 gallons of fuel and an engine that gets over 5 nmpg!

My batteries are under the console, so no worries.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I'm right behind you on this project with my 1983 diesel Blackman 20. Only problem, have had no time to do it. Most of my tank is under the console and exposed when that comes off, but about 6" is up under the deck in the front. I either have to cut that deck, or cut the tank out in pieces and put in a slightly smaller tank. Damn thing is 80 gallons and I can do 3 tuna trips before refilling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oceanjake

May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat
36’ Tiara Express
From experience, aluminum is still a good way to go for the tank. You do NOT want it to sit on foam because as you've seen the moisture will get stuck there and cause corrosion. The best case is to have the tank sit on some aluminum supports with channels cut out of them to let water run the length of the boat.

Reactions: NO4NMTL and I'M OFF
Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
I have a Cabo 216 and replaced the tank without adding foam. I used strips of 1/4" PVC as risers to add support between the tank and stringers. Left about 4" spacing between strips for air circulation. The belly of the tank sits just about 1/4" above the center drain channel; this will allow the tank to expand. I also added two drain scuppers to allow the fuel bilge to drain when I wash it down with fresh water. When on the water, I plug the scuppers with bilge plugs to keep saltwater from entering on the main bilge side. Not sure if this a wise decision but it made sense to me.

Fuel Bilge Side
Cabo gas tank replacement 048.jpg

Stern Bilge Compartment
IMG_1852.JPG

Cabo gas tank replacement 056.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Been there done that. I had a custom al tank made, painted it with that coating mentioned above and drilled it out to drain to the bilge. I glassed in mini stringers to get it off the bottom and drilled drain holes so any water could drain either down or back and always stored boat slightly nose up. Foaming tanks was such a bad idea.

Upvote 0

Hox57

It's all about the Grand kids
    Jul 31, 2013
    Fallbrook,Ca. US
    Name
    Gary Hoxie
    Boat
    Cabo CuddyCon 226 Tale Chaser
    I recently purchased an 89' 256 that has a 200 gallon fuel tank; I was saving my pennies for the outboard bracket refinish but now.... Do I assume that the tank is under the ice chest / storage compartment? anymore pics on cabos much appreciated!! dammit, I just want to fish!

Upvote 0